Thoughts Of An Experienced E-Biker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a lot more saddle sores from plush padded seats than my hard Brooks. Somewhat counter-intuitive, but for my butt it works. We're in deeply personal territory here 😄 What works for one won't necessarily work for another. Raising the seat and dropping the bars solved a lot of my aches. The only advice I'd run a mile from is anything that claims to be universal wisdom. This is the geometry that's working for me at the moment:
IMG_20230110_111631.jpg

I think the comfort level changes with age. In my 20s that setup would be fine. In my 70s it would kill me. Lol

kinda my point to asking about sizes
well I did start out with a pretty good approximation of a 'no'. :D. But you're right I did not say they do not do sizes in the sense of a seat sized to fit differing anatomies/sit bones. Cloud 9's idea of sizing is saying that the cruiser model is 'sized' at 10.5" x 10.75" in size. I wish I was joking about that but I'm not its straight off the product headline. That should give you an idea of the degree of sophistication involved here in these things.

Visit the Amazon store linked at that page and you will see one after the other all along the same 'saddle-wearing-a-fat-suit' theme. The one exception is the "kush plus" and that looks like a Selle OEM saddle that came with the Sondors emtbs awhile back. It does come in two sizes but the width is the same only the length is altered.

I hesitate to recommend any saddle as they are so personal in nature, but I have had fantastic luck with the Ergon Primes. SMC Core Prime and the newer SMC Core MTB version. If I am pedaling hard like on my Bullitt cargo bike or Apostate mtb I use a medium size, and if I am doing upright riding like on my Surly I'm better off with a Large. Not exactly according to saddle doctrine but I found it works well for me by accident. The padding tech is amazing, but you can get 80% of the benefit for less than half the price with an SFC3 gel. Almost 1/3 the price.

Before that it was the Forte Softail saddles, which were $50 a pop until sadly they were discontinued. I just found one I forgot I had socked away in the garage yesterday.

Last edited:
I think the comfort level changes with age. In my 20s that setup would be fine. In my 70s it would kill me. Lol
Tons of people will swear that a broken-in Brooks is the most comfy saddle on the planet. Me I can't stand the things. But they work so well for so many (over something like a century of production) I have to admit I am probably off-base for not fully giving one a chance.

Still... I will take the closed-cell multi-layer Ergons over a strip of rawhide and stay blissfully ignorant.

….

But if you are cycling, all the crackpot conspiracy rants in the world won't counter decades of experience in what works and what doesn't, learned by people who ride tens of thousands of miles, individually, over and over, across a population of riders that spans literally multiple generations and zillions of individuals. Its not a conspiracy of the illuminati... its people learning what works by doing.

exactly this. it is a sad fact of the modern world that the opinions/rants of the uninformed, inexperienced, narrow minded, and unaccomplished can somehow be read on the internet as being as meaningful as millions of hours of actual experience.

is a forward riding position on a narrow saddle right for everyone? of course not. is it the right setup for many types of cycling? absolutely. is it inherently uncomfortable? nope, absolutely not. should you trust people who make blanket statements and find conspiracies around every corner? nope.

Tons of people will swear that a broken-in Brooks is the most comfy saddle on the planet. Me I can't stand the things. But they work so well for so many (over something like a century of production) I have to admit I am probably off-base for not fully giving one a chance.

but Still... I will take the closed-cell multi-layer Ergons over a strip of rawhide and stay blissfully ignorant.
the “brooks on a modern bike” thing kills me. like white wall tires on a tesla or something.

There is no right or wrong as to the "proper way" to set up a bike. It's all trial and error and no amount of supposed biking expertise or know how can be used to determine the right posture, handlebar type, seat height or amount of seat cushion to ride on. There is no right way to do it. It's whatever is the most comfortable for the rider. And most people will know when the fun stops and the pain begins. I figured it out real fast after buying a mtb. It soon became a very smooth cruiser. Problem solved.

There is no right or wrong as to the "proper way" to set up a bike. It's all trial and error and no amount of supposed biking expertise or know how can be used to determine the right posture, handlebar type, seat height or amount of seat cushion to ride on. There is no right way to do it. It's whatever is the most comfortable for the rider. And most people will know when the fun stops and the pain begins. I figured it out real fast after buying a mtb. It soon became a very smooth cruiser. Problem solved.
while this may be true for some types of cycling, it’s actually not true for road bikes. there are highly trained and experienced professional bike fitters who use actual empirical data and knowledge to adjust the bike to the rider. not internet anecdote or quickly made impressions of comfort or discomfort. training, experience, and data.

i had some lower back pain on one side, went to a well regarded bike fitter, spent an hour on the bike on his trainer while he made multiple measurements, adjustments, and observations.

the result? right lower back pain gone. occasional mild left hand numbness gone. i do 500-600 miles a month on my bikes, no sofa cushion seats or big squishy tires and also no aches or pains. 28mm tires, no suspension, average quality roads. is my setup right for anyone else, probably not, but it’s definitely “right” for what i do!

while this may be true for some types of cycling, it’s actually not true for road bikes. there are highly trained and experienced professional bike fitters who use actual empirical data and knowledge to adjust the bike to the rider. not internet anecdote or quickly made impressions of comfort or discomfort. training, experience, and data.

i had some lower back pain on one side, went to a well regarded bike fitter, spent an hour on the bike on his trainer while he made multiple measurements, adjustments, and observations.

the result? right lower back pain gone. occasional mild left hand numbness gone. i do 500-600 miles a month on my bikes, no sofa cushion seats or big squishy tires and also no aches or pains. 28mm tires, no suspension, average quality roads. is my setup right for anyone else, probably not, but it’s definitely “right” for what i do!
Well, if you got what you wanted after all that then great. Most people can figure it all out on their own pretty fast. I can ride a mile and know what I need to change on the bike to make it a better fit for me. I don't have butt pain, arm pain, or back pain after peddling for 3 hrs. non stop. I use anything that makes for a smooth, comfortable ride. Seat post suspension, fork suspension, Schwalbe balloon tires, upright seating position on gel seat with a nice Jonesbar for super comfort and control.No numb fingers or stiff shoulders at all after 30 miles every other day. Now in my 70s. I started riding bikes in the 50's. Taking on the hills of San Francisco with a 1 speed. Good training! Not much fun. On my ebike, I must have got it set up right, after 3 years now, I would'nt change a thing. Everybody has to get it right on their own as no two people or bikes are alike. I would no more drive a uncomfortable bike then I would a car or motorcycle or sleep in a hard bed.

If you plan on being a pro bike racer then sure, you need expert help setting up that super lightweight race bike. But, these are ebikes not race bikes. We have motors. We don't need to sweat every new ounce of weight on the bike. We don't need to worry about the weight of lights and mirrors or tool bags. We have nice electric motors that compensate for that weight. I ride for the fun of it all, not to race, compete or pretend I'm a pro racer headed for the next big tour de whatever. To me, ebikes are a great stress reduction machine that gives me some exercise. I get a lot more of a workout on the treadmill, and that's by choice. I didn't get a powered bike for exercise but fun.

Thats not quite true. There are wrong ways to set up the bike that will hurt you, physically. Also, there are some things you could do that are just plain stupid. Don't fall into the trap of thinking experienced cyclists offering advice are racers or pros. They are riders. And they've learned by doing.

It pays to pay attention when people who know the sport tell you something is stupid. Hopefully, those same people know the difference between 'dumb', 'ill advised' and 'personal preference' and will make it clear which category the snake oil the noob is advocating belongs to.

I've said for a long time that some of the very worst advice a new ebiker can get will come from a cyclist. The reason being they know bicycles, not the bicycle-shaped-objects that are ebikes. A cyclist who has had experience burn do's and don'ts into their brains, and hasn't taken a step back and realized an ebike is a totally new system, is as much of a menace as the late night loon angrily wearing their fingertips out.

But for those cyclists who have learned the differences... pay attention. And think critically because none of us can be trusted in the end. Its the internet, and fools can type.

Thats not quite true. There are wrong ways to set up the bike that will hurt you, physically. Also, there are some things you could do that are just plain stupid. Don't fall into the trap of thinking experienced cyclists offering advice are racers or pros. They are riders. And they've learned by doing.

It pays to pay attention when people who know the sport tell you something is stupid. Hopefully, those same people know the difference between 'dumb', 'ill advised' and 'personal preference' and will make it clear which category the snake oil the noob is advocating belongs to.

I've said for a long time that some of the very worst advice a new ebiker can get will come from a cyclist. The reason being they know bicycles, not the bicycle-shaped-objects that are ebikes. A cyclist who has had experience burn do's and don'ts into their brains, and hasn't taken a step back and realized an ebike is a totally new system, is as much of a menace as the late night loon angrily wearing their fingertips out.

But for those cyclists who have learned the differences... pay attention. And think critically because none of us can be trusted in the end. Its the internet, and fools can type.

Keyword being "new" bikers. Anyone that has spent years riding bikes can safely set one up to their own specs, real easy. It's not rocket science, and there is no supposed bike expert in the world can tell you if the bike is a good fit or not. That determination can only come from the person riding it, not someone else. It's always good to share honest info and see what works for others, but in the end the final fitting can only be done by the one on the bike. Race bikes are another story. More precise setup for speed over comfort. Ebikes are designed for ease and comfort over speed.

exactly this. it is a sad fact of the modern world that the opinions/rants of the uninformed, inexperienced, narrow minded, and unaccomplished can somehow be read on the internet as being as meaningful as millions of hours of actual experience.
Couldn't agree more. If you'd to like to see just how pervasive and dangerous this trend is -- even at the highest levels of public policymaking, and especially in the US -- read

Exactly. A heavily padded seat just disguises the problem of poor fitment. They solve nothing. A good seat should fit to your bum. If you pedal, it should be narrower to avoid the chafing of the thighs that come from the pedal stroke on wide seats.

If on the other hand you are just throttling around the neighborhood, that is where a big cruiser seat is in its element. My own personal favorite for that style of neighborhood riding is the Selle Drifter, which is gel-padded and also sprung (and not quite so stupid-looking, but thats a matter of personal taste)..

But if you are cycling, all the crackpot conspiracy rants in the world won't counter decades of experience in what works and what doesn't, learned by people who ride tens of thousands of miles, individually, over and over, across a population of riders that spans literally multiple generations and zillions of individuals. Its not a conspiracy of the illuminati... its people learning what works by doing.
I fail to see what "conspiracy" has one iota to do with bike seats. The only reason for people to rag on "conspiracies" is if they have been conditioned by MSM to dismiss any and every idea or statement they disagree with as a "conspiracy theory" (i.e., a crackpot rant). It's one of the most absurd, overblown behaviors to crop up in the last couple of years.

For all those who pretend that there are no conspiracies, I refer you to the numerous laws on the books against "conspiracy to commit ______ " (fill in the blank). Law enforcement investigates conspiracies quite frequently... they take them seriously. People are in prison this very day for conspiring to do bad things (and maybe a few more people need to be in prison for it). And a mere 4-5 years ago the media was happily pumping the now-disproven conspiracy theory that the Russians influenced the 2016 election, and plenty of people were glad to believe in conspiracies then; strange how the sheeple can be blown about with every shift of the wind!

Side note: I haven't conspired with anyone to produce this rant! 😇

I fail to see what "conspiracy" has one iota to do with bike seats.
All the talk of conspiracy theories goes back a few posts to someone here who is pre-disposed to announce shocking new Truth that peels back the curtain on falsehoods the overlords have fed to sheeple.

If you don't know wtf I am talking about... do yourself a big, fat favor and don't scroll back... those are wasted minutes you will never get back.

With all of that said, it is true bicycle marketing is a racket. But then again so is dish soap marketing. And socks. The fact that marketers BS people is a given when you open your eyes in the morning and no cause for alarm, manifestos etc. Speaking of Revealed Truth...

And a mere 4-5 years ago the media was happily pumping the now-disproven conspiracy theory that the Russians influenced the 2016 election, and plenty of people were glad to believe in conspiracies then; strange how the sheeple can be blown about with every shift of the wind!

From the findings of the various committees investigating that claim, I think we can safely move it from the 'conspiracy theory' to 'plain old fact' bucket. But for the record I agree on the seats - skinny, hard seats aren't some nefarious scheme. They're just sports science and industries stab at what wins races. Maybe racers sit on them, dreaming of a nice plush armchair at the end of the race 🤔 And best of all, none of us are under any compulsion to buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back