Thoughts Of An Experienced E-Biker

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes I see so many people with their levers level I usually set them so my finger rests on the brake lever without bending.
View attachment 144222
I just lowered mine a bit more and with rotating the grips a bit more I have a more or less neutral wrist position. Heading out for 10-15 miles of new desert trails today. Hopefully it will help.

Exactly what I was looking for - I was definitely in the #1 position - now I’m in the neighborhood of #3. I like the H-bar but want to try to get it right without making a major change yet. I only have 140 miles on the bike so I’m not ready to abandon the stock bars yet.

On another note, Im going to try a bigger chain ring - probably 40t as with the Canadian version. They both have the same 11-42 cassett, but for whatever reason (?) the US version comes with a 36t chainring. I have more than enough low gearing but quickly run out of gears in the top end. The will be a quick swap (same chain I’m told…) that I can easily change back if I don’t like it or I find my self in need of my current ratios.

Canadian Version:

Chainrings 40T (doesn’t specify brand/part # but pic shows Praxis)
Chain KMC e11T, 11-speed w/ Missing Link™
Cassette SRAM PG-1130, 11-speed, 11-42t
Rear Derailleur SRAM GX, long cage, 11-speed

US Version:

Chainrings Praxis, 36T, 104BCD

Can anyone explain that to me?

Last edited:
Exactly what I was looking for - I was definitely in the #1 position - now I’m in the neighborhood of #3. I like the H-bar but want to try to get it right without making a major change yet. I only have 140 miles on the bike so I’m not ready to abandon the stock bars yet.

On another note, Im going to try a bigger chain ring - probably 40t as with the Canadian version. They both have the same 11-42 cassett, but for whatever reason (?) the US version comes with a 36t chainring. I have more than enough low gearing but quickly run out of gears in the top end. The will be a quick swap (same chain I’m told…) that I can easily change back if I don’t like it or I find my self in need of my current ratios.

Canadian Version:

Chainrings 40T (doesn’t specify brand/part # but pic shows Praxis)

US Version:

Chainrings Praxis, 36T, 104BCD

Can anyone explain that to me?

they must think americans ride up more hills or something, or are heavier and weaker, lol.

changing one praxis chainring for another would be a very, very easy thing to do, as you’ve been advised. you might need a longer chain, but hopefully not.

and I’m putting a lot of pressure on my hands (palms mainly)
This is one of the MANY reasons that the "crotch rocket" lean forward biking position doesn't work for me.

A lot of people will focus on the hand position -- and yes it's important -- but if you feel like you're putting enough pressure on your hands it's worthy of mention, you're likely off balance, leaning too far forward, and aren't young enough to "put up with it" like a lot of folks who advocate for skinny seats and straight bars.

As someone who works in accessibility and ergonomics in the workplace, (and for websites) I'll say it again, this "sporty" lean the f**** forwards "everyone should ride like they're a pro racer" bullshit does more harm than good, and reeks of the same type of snake oil peddling rubbish as those knee-busting "ergonomic" chairs from the '90's or the "standing table" rubbish that's all hot and trendy right now.
Irregardless of how many effete, pretentious, holier than thou snobs and marks get their panties in a knot or "want to puke" over the mere idea of riding upright.

If you've got that much pressure, you're probably also stressing the elbows and shoulder. In fact if you're riding with your arms out straight, you are guaranteed hurting more than just your hands.

Are your arms out straight? Your bars are too far forward.

Pressure on your hands relying on grip instead of light friction with them just resting on the bars? Bars are too far forwards and you're leaning forwards too far.

Are you waking up the next day with pain from the Altas (c1) down to C5? You're leaning too far forward and looking up to see ahead is the cause.

Excessive pain in the coccyx whenever you get off the bike? That's skinny seat and leaning too far forwards at fault. Something I experience first-hand as I'm just not built for those wafer thin narrow seats. Because the whole "sitz bones" thing is a bunch of predatory bull when leaning that far forward, and your weight ends up distributed on the perennial and through the soft tissues straight to the coccyx and sacrum instead! Said "logic" of leaning forwards only working for people 6 foot tall or more with the BMI of an Indian cow or Auschwitz survivor.

And that's another thing to beware of, It's not just the pain while riding, it's the pain caused by riding. You can do a lot of damage with bad posture that doesn't show up until the next morning.

If you are fully extending the legs whilst pedaling, you're risking injury. If you are fully extending the arms whilst riding, you're rising injury. If you have to crank your head back just to see straight ahead, you're risking injury and limiting range of motion. And thus sacrificing situational awareness.

It reminds me of the people who plaster their face 6" from their computer's display with their keyboard way up atop the desk, who then wonder why their eyesight is shot and they have both back problems and carpel tunnel and/or repetitive motion injury... as opposed to a comfortable 3 feet with the keyboard at minimum 5" over your lap, ideally ON your lap.

Basic real anatomy and ergonomics, not the garbage doublespeak market-talk used to peddle cheaper corner cut mass manufacture trash to you! As if it's some miracle cure-all because it's what some sports star uses.

We're not all sports stars. Honestly since I've gotten back into bicycle tech the past two years, the amount of outright gibberish unfounded claims that would/should make any doctor cringe is only rivalled by the likes of Paltrow's "Goop", Oz's hoodoo supplements, or the "healthiness" advice of that dirtbag calling himself an avocado.

Who knew the spandex wearing "cycling life" crowd were as gullible as the fools buying "organic foods", railing against GMO's, making up nonsensical chazerei like "gluten intolerance"? To the point we now have packages of chicken -- CHICKEN -- labelled "gluten free"

Oh wait, the people selling bicycle accessories. They knew. Ah the power of propaganda and arbitrary societal norms.

This is one of the MANY reasons that the "crotch rocket" lean forward biking position doesn't work for me.

A lot of people will focus on the hand position -- and yes it's important -- but if you feel like you're putting enough pressure on your hands it's worthy of mention, you're likely off balance, leaning too far forward, and aren't young enough to "put up with it" like a lot of folks who advocate for skinny seats and straight bars.

As someone who works in accessibility and ergonomics in the workplace, (and for websites) I'll say it again, this "sporty" lean the f**** forwards "everyone should ride like they're a pro racer" bullshit does more harm than good, and reeks of the same type of snake oil peddling rubbish as those knee-busting "ergonomic" chairs from the '90's or the "standing table" rubbish that's all hot and trendy right now.
Irregardless of how many effete, pretentious, holier than thou snobs and marks get their panties in a knot or "want to puke" over the mere idea of riding upright.

If you've got that much pressure, you're probably also stressing the elbows and shoulder. In fact if you're riding with your arms out straight, you are guaranteed hurting more than just your hands.

Pressure on your hands relying on grip instead of light friction with them just resting on the bars? Bars are too far forwards and you're leaning forwards too far.

Are you waking up the next day with pain from the Altas (c1) down to C5? You're leaning too far forward and looking up to see ahead is the cause.

Excessive pain in the coccyx whenever you get off the bike? That's skinny seat and leaning too far forwards at fault. Something I experience first-hand as I'm just not built for those wafer thin narrow seats. Because the whole "sitz bones" thing is a bunch of predatory bull when leaning that far forward, and your weight ends up distributed on the perennial and through the soft tissues straight to the coccyx and sacrum instead! Said "logic" of leaning forwards only working for people 6 foot tall or more with the BMI of an Indian cow or Auschwitz survivor.

And that's another thing to beware of, It's not just the pain while riding, it's the pain caused by riding. You can do a lot of damage with bad posture that doesn't show up until the next morning.

If you are fully extending the legs whilst pedaling, you're risking injury. If you are fully extending the arms whilst riding, you're rising injury. If you have to crank your head back just to see straight ahead, you're risking injury and limiting range of motion. And thus sacrificing situational awareness.

It reminds me of the people who plaster their face 6" from their computer's display with their keyboard way up atop the desk, who then wonder why their eyesight is shot and they have both back problems and carpel tunnel and/or repetitive motion injury... as opposed to a comfortable 3 feet with the keyboard at minimum 5" over your lap, ideally ON your lap.

Basic real anatomy and ergonomics, not the garbage doublespeak market-talk used to peddle cheaper corner cut mass manufacture trash to you! As if it's some miracle cure-all because it's what some sports star uses.

We're not all sports stars. Honestly since I've gotten back into bicycle tech the past two years, the amount of outright gibberish unfounded claims that would/should make any doctor cringe is only rivalled by the likes of Paltrow's "Goop", Oz's hoodoo supplements, or the "healthiness" advice of that dirtbag calling himself an avocado.

Who knew the spandex wearing "cycling life" crowd were as gullible as the fools buying "organic foods", railing against GMO's, making up nonsensical chazerei like "gluten intolerance"? To the point we now have packages of chicken -- CHICKEN -- labelled "gluten free"

Oh wait, the people selling bicycle accessories. They knew. Ah the power of propaganda and arbitrary societal norms.
As you implied one size does not fit all good post as a sufferer of various spinal injuries I agree a lot of this neo tech simply does not work for everybody( as my Cousin once said watching some Female joggers" The ones that need it do not do it", if one wants to argue that having a gym membership and watching workout videos is the only way to stay fit, consider the Mennonites or even the people of the sixties.

I still can not wrap my head around the turtle pose as a lot of bikers have to crane their necks up to see forward that pose would send me straight to the ortho person, if it works for you fit persons, great. , I simply cannot do a lot things younger healthy people can do, my physiology does not permit it. Please Folks do not hate on people that do things differently and I cannot use one of those "butt floss' seats.
"

I sometimes ride with a local bike club and most members are seniors. About half are riding the ebikes with the hidden battery. Made to look like a water bottle. But, some of these good folks are still riding on butt floss hard seats, narrow tires, and leaning forward. We ride around 25 miles on adverage on these trips and you know this can't possibly be comfortable for them. I show up on my big fat Cloud 9 seat, sitting straight up and using super comfy Jones h bars. I ride along on balloon tires, under inflated by 5 lbs. and it's a breeze. No body pain at the end of the ride at all. I hope more people will be swayed into not biking like a road warrior that's training for the the Tour de France but like a person enjoying the fun of biking. Riding any bike, especially an ebike, should not be a painful experience but pure pleasure.

I sometimes ride with a local bike club and most members are seniors. About half are riding the ebikes with the hidden battery. Made to look like a water bottle. But, some of these good folks are still riding on butt floss hard seats, narrow tires, and leaning forward. We ride around 25 miles on adverage on these trips and you know this can't possibly be comfortable for them. I show up on my big fat Cloud 9 seat, sitting straight up and using super comfy Jones h bars. I ride along on balloon tires, under inflated by 5 lbs. and it's a breeze. No body pain at the end of the ride at all. I hope more people will be swayed into not biking like a road warrior that's training for the the Tour de France but like a person enjoying the fun of biking. Riding any bike, especially an ebike, should not be a painful experience but pure pleasure.
Don't count on them being uncomfortable. Narrow seats keep your thighs from pushing on them. some weight on your hands keeps some weight off your sit bones. if you ride a lot a soft and fat seat will cause its own issues. I ride uptown 250 miles a week I put a lot of effort into peddling. a wide seat kills me in the long run. it all depends on how much effort you put into cycling. it takes time to get used to a narrow seat tis not instant but the rewards are long term and the ability to be hours on it. a bike is not a couch.

Don't count on them being uncomfortable. Narrow seats keep your thighs from pushing on them. some weight on your hands keeps some weight off your sit bones. if you ride a lot a soft and fat seat will cause its own issues. I ride uptown 250 miles a week I put a lot of effort into peddling. a wide seat kills me in the long run. it all depends on how much effort you put into cycling. it takes time to get used to a narrow seat tis not instant but the rewards are long term and the ability to be hours on it. a bike is not a couch.
I agree with @fooferdoggie. If you are putting in a fair amount of effort, a saddle that supports your sit bones is actually the most comfortable and any weight being put onto your hands is removing that weight from your but, (moderation is the key). Your core muscles can also relieve some hand pressure.

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. If you are relying on the motor for most of the propulsion, then upright and sitting on your gluteus muscles is probably fine. This doesn’t mean that if you are providing most of the propulsion that you have to ride in a time trial position. Some forward lean provides a more engaged and balanced riding position and allows you to go out of saddle. It also lowers your center of gravity and moves it forward, which increases stability while lowering your wind resistance. If you simply cannot ride with a forward lean, then you shouldn’t. It’s better to ride upright than not to ride. It’s better to ride with 100% motor than to sit on the couch or drive an internal combustion vehicle.

I am 67 and have had serious back and neck injuries and surgeries. I can’t ride in a very aggressive position anymore, but I do ride with my bars at close to the height of my saddle with is fairly stiff and narrow, (a Fizik Aliante). It works for me and everyone should feel free to do what works for them. The thing is that physics and comfort do not go hand in hand. Find the compromise that works for you.

I s
I agree with @fooferdoggie. If you are putting in a fair amount of effort, a saddle that supports your sit bones is actually the most comfortable and any weight being put onto your hands is removing that weight from your but, (moderation is the key). Your core muscles can also relieve some hand pressure.

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. If you are relying on the motor for most of the propulsion, then upright and sitting on your gluteus muscles is probably fine. This doesn’t mean that if you are providing most of the propulsion that you have to ride in a time trial position. Some forward lean provides a more engaged and balanced riding position and allows you to go out of saddle. It also lowers your center of gravity and moves it forward, which increases stability while lowering your wind resistance. If you simply cannot ride with a forward lean, then you shouldn’t. It’s better to ride upright than not to ride. It’s better to ride with 100% motor than to sit on the couch or drive an internal combustion vehicle.

I am 67 and have had serious back and neck injuries and surgeries. I can’t ride in a very aggressive position anymore, but I do ride with my bars at close to the height of my saddle with is fairly stiff and narrow, (a Fizik Aliante). It works for me and everyone should feel free to do what works for them. The thing is that physics and comfort do not go hand in hand. Find the compromise that works for you.
I sit upright and use very little motor usually PAS 1-2 on the steep hills after the 16 mile mtn loop still have all bars on display left on a 500 watt mag wheel bike.I have always sat upright on any bike I owned.I could sit down and pedal by guys pushing their bikes, different strokes for different folks.

I s

I sit upright and use very little motor usually PAS 1-2 on the steep hills after the 16 mile mtn loop still have all bars on display left on a 500 watt mag wheel bike.I have always sat upright on any bike I owned.I could sit down and pedal by guys pushing their bikes, different strokes for different folks.
Sitting bent forward is hard on the back and puts too much pressure on the hands. I didn't buy an ebike to work real hard or cause pain to myself. Why would I want to sit on a hard, unpadded seat for hours at a time? I wouldn't replace my car seat for hard plastic either. I could have stuck with an analog bike if I wanted that much exercise or that much pain. Like you said, everyone has to find their own comfort zone on these, and mine is dialed in just about perfect. I cruise at 15 mph in pos on the flats and use a little more power on the steep hills here in Wa. State. Who cares about wind resistance? This is not a racing bike and I am not looking to go to France anytime soon. Why lean into the wind? What next, buy Spandex and dump all lights, fenders, tool kits, and big puncture resistant tires just to make the bike lighter? What for? It weighs 75 lbs with all my gear. The bike has 1000 watts to overcome the extra weight and wind. I'm no roadie. I'm an experienced ebiker having a lot of fun, not trying to be competitive. Why ride like a young guy, I'm not. I'm a super senior on a very comfy cruiser!

Well said! There is a whole lot of hype out there about seat type, position on bike, wind resistance, weight etc. That's fine for racing bikes running the Tour de France, but these are ebikes with motors! Not 5 lb. race bikes that require spandex body suits on hard shell micro saddles. Hard on the body. The trend is to make ebikes look like racing bikes with hidden batteries. It's a deception to hide the fact that the rider is really not doing all the work. My battery is big, 1000w, and is clearly seen. I'm very proud to be an ebiker and not a wanna be roadie that never waves, say's hi, and stays bent over the bars with such intensity. Ebikes are for fun imo. My bike and my life are about comfort not competition. For real exercise I use the treadmill. But then, not everyone buys these bikes for relaxation and stress relief. I turn on my mp3 player, turn on the bike power, and going riding for 30 miles along lakes and rivers. Sit straight up, enjoy the comfy front and center suspension, and just cruise along. Never use the throttle. No pain. Nice.

If the seat is correctly sized it isn't to narrow but one like he describe is almost always the wrong choice. A saddle that is correct sized to you and made for riding the bike your on along the right bars bike size seat height and more but you probably already new that:D

If the seat is correctly sized it isn't to narrow but one like he describe is almost always the wrong choice. A saddle that is correct sized to you and made for riding the bike your on along the right bars bike size seat height and more but you probably already new that:D
Mine's a Cloud 9. Good support, very comfy, and very well made. Great seat.

Does it come in different sizes?
There are different models but all are all sized like Grandma's sofa.
actually its a cheap seat a good seat going to cost far more.. all that softness will get mushy or hard or just wear out. seats wear out and soft seats wear out even faster.
Exactly. A heavily padded seat just disguises the problem of poor fitment. They solve nothing. A good seat should fit to your bum. If you pedal, it should be narrower to avoid the chafing of the thighs that come from the pedal stroke on wide seats.

If on the other hand you are just throttling around the neighborhood, that is where a big cruiser seat is in its element. My own personal favorite for that style of neighborhood riding is the Selle Drifter, which is gel-padded and also sprung (and not quite so stupid-looking, but thats a matter of personal taste)..

But if you are cycling, all the crackpot conspiracy rants in the world won't counter decades of experience in what works and what doesn't, learned by people who ride tens of thousands of miles, individually, over and over, across a population of riders that spans literally multiple generations and zillions of individuals. Its not a conspiracy of the illuminati... its people learning what works by doing.

@FarmerRich:

1673303348801.png

The cockpit of my Vado SL in early 2022. I have removed the smartphone holder and replaced the Innerbarends 411 with the 410/402 integrated with 710 grips since. The integrated Innerbarends version has turned out to be very wide, occupying more handlebars space.

What helped me for the hand numbness was not only the Innerbarends but also dramatic lowering the handlebars as well as shifting the saddle rearwards. All of this made my riding position really forward. Magically, no butt aches and no hand numbness. I am not sure if that would work for everybody though.

You asked about 36 vs 40t chainring. I would say Specialized put whatever they could on the Tero. Change from 36 to 40T will not reduce your cadence very much. I can bet you could use even a bigger chainring (and a longer chain) on your Tero if you prefer speed vs the climbing capability. (Remember that the Tero originally was a Class 1 e-MTB for 20 mph and off-road mostly).

Exactly. A heavily padded seat just disguises the problem of poor fitment. They solve nothing. A good seat should fit to your bum. If you pedal, it should be narrower to avoid the chafing of the thighs that come from the pedal stroke on wide seats.

If on the other hand you are just throttling around the neighborhood, that is where a big cruiser seat is in its element. My own personal favorite for that style of neighborhood riding is the Selle Drifter, which is gel-padded and also sprung (and not quite so stupid-looking, but thats a matter of personal taste)..

But if you are cycling, all the crackpot conspiracy rants in the world won't counter decades of experience in what works and what doesn't, learned by people who ride tens of thousands of miles, individually, over and over, across a population of riders that spans literally multiple generations and zillions of individuals. Its not a conspiracy of the illuminati... its people learning what works by doing.
I am stuck on a seat thats a gel seal but its still harder then a soft seat. but I need a seat side to side and end to end and thats almost impossible to find. so this works though it can rub my thighs too much. but when I feel like crap it feels hard as a rock. but I got about 14,000 miles oput of it befire it got hard enough to really start hurting my thighs. I found a great sallde but it only works when I am feeling really energetic because its really firm.

kinda my point to asking about sizes

actually its a cheap seat a good seat going to cost far more.. all that softness will get mushy or hard or just wear out. seats wear out and soft seats wear out even faster.
Gee doggie, having a bad day or are you always this cheerful? I don't know where you get this stuff from but this seat works great. No chafing, rubbing, grinding or anything but pure comfort. Not soft and cushy or losing a bit of support. Year 3 and it still works just fine. So, now what eh? If you like the setup you have, great. Every body and every bike is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back