This is not good, and its my fault

Yes, to the flange, but that part is threaded onto the hub, I thought it was just a cheap setup on my bike, but lots of hubs thread on the rotor holder.

It just stripped and let go, probably because I fitted a 203mm rotor.

Bit concerning to be honest, I might leave one bolt in when I get the new part.

This is the part that stripped, I pretty sure it's a bad idea to mix aluminium and steel anyway.
Screenshot_20240202-171017-158.png

This is the part that stripped, I pretty sure it's a bad idea to mix aluminium and steel anyway.
Those adapters are meant to do a disk conversion on a flip-flop hub. Thats a pretty esoteric need, which has been exploited by Far Eastern cheap hub builders to serve a very different purpose.

I know its easy for me to spend your money, but I would run in the other direction of a hub like that. Its not about putting a 203 on it. Its just inherently badbadbad and you found out why the hard way.

EDIT: The aluminum+steel thing is easy to deal with using something everyone in the automotive world understands out of the gate, and seems to be almost unknown to most shade tree bicycle mechanics: Put anti-seize on the threads. This lubricates the threads as well which is something the aforementioned shade tree bike mechanics will gasp at with horror because they think thread locker is supposed to be a good thing and can't conceive of why the opposite is the right thing to do almost always. Park Tool sells an overpriced anti-seize but the simple cheap silver anti-seize at the local neighborhood auto parts shop is all you need.

Yes, to the flange, but that part is threaded onto the hub, I thought it was just a cheap setup on my bike, but lots of hubs thread on the rotor holder.

It just stripped and let go, probably because I fitted a 203mm rotor.

Bit concerning to be honest, I might leave one bolt in when I get the new part.

Count your blessings that it did not happen when you were riding downhill or riding behind a truck or car!

I said it was my fault, because I've ridden the bike in salt water, and it's unlikely power washing got the salt back out.
I guess it eroded the alloy thread, you live and learn.
I won't show you my botch fix to ride the bike the next day

OK I will, but dont judge, I only had the next day to ride and wasnt going to get the parts that quick.

I drilled right through the hub flange with six long bolts to hold it all together, worked very well.
Thats going nowhere.
BRK1.jpg

bit out of focus, the thread was completely gone, I had no idea it was a separate piece., what a ludicrously fragile bit of alloy to take full braking power from
my weight and an ebike, quite clearly the force is in the wrong direction for the strength a thread supplies, it just kept overtightening it till it stripped.

Solid hub on order
bkr11.jpg

Those adapters are meant to do a disk conversion on a flip-flop hub. Thats a pretty esoteric need, which has been exploited by Far Eastern cheap hub builders to serve a very different purpose.

I know its easy for me to spend your money, but I would run in the other direction of a hub like that. Its not about putting a 203 on it. Its just inherently badbadbad and you found out why the hard way.

EDIT: The aluminum+steel thing is easy to deal with using something everyone in the automotive world understands out of the gate, and seems to be almost unknown to most shade tree bicycle mechanics: Put anti-seize on the threads. This lubricates the threads as well which is something the aforementioned shade tree bike mechanics will gasp at with horror because they think thread locker is supposed to be a good thing and can't conceive of why the opposite is the right thing to do almost always. Park Tool sells an overpriced anti-seize but the simple cheap silver anti-seize at the local neighborhood auto parts shop is all you need.
Anti_seize is often a good idea even on threaded aluminum to aluminum. Prevents oxidation binding and makes disassembly much easier.
Sometimes it's like Franks Hot Sauce.... I put that sh*t on everything!

Guess what the problem was
Glad you're all right.
I had a brake failure recently so I know well the scare it can give. Seems the "bike mechanic" didn't torque the compression nut at the rear lever properly and the seal blew out during an aggressive braking. But he did remember to slide the plastic boot over the compression nut to conceal his error 🙃

You've just had a lucky escape - If you're riding at a level where you needed 203 mm rotors, perhaps it's time to take a good look at those forks and hubs ?

Do you really want the front wheel dropping out ? Or the lugs snapping off those forks? Or worse .

Start by checking what size rotors those forks are rated at . A quick check of my fleet - the bikes with suicide forks have 160 mm rotors. Anything with 180 mm or higher has through axles and more than 34 mm stanchions. In fact, the 32 mm fox factory forks on my daughters trance are only rated to 180 mm - in their time, they were top of the range competition suspension, yet that bike manages with 160 mm rotors and is still capable of serious braking ( admittedly it only has 26" wheels , and weighs 12 kg)

I recently upgraded the brakes on my levo sl to 4 pot xt's , at the time I considered replacing the stock 200 mm rotors with something bigger, but even my uprated fox 36 forks were only capable of running 203 mm - that's serious braking force!

That rotor you are using is the same as my sons giant reign advanced - he has fox 38 mm forks that retail for $2000 .

Anti_seize is often a good idea even on threaded aluminum to aluminum. Prevents oxidation binding and makes disassembly much easier.
Sometimes it's like Franks Hot Sauce.... I put that sh*t on everything!

Glad you're all right.
I had a brake failure recently so I know well the scare it can give. Seems the "bike mechanic" didn't torque the compression nut at the rear lever properly and the seal blew out during an aggressive braking. But he did remember to slide the plastic boot over the compression nut to conceal his error 🙃
Exactly why I’m my own bike mechanic. Well, that and I like to learn and work with my hands. :)

There's only one way to fix a cheap bike, though there are two paths.

Brake fade on my old bike was scary when I was descending fast. Never rotor disk come undone. WTF.
I'm bombing a hint @Chargeride you needs new ebike.

Yeah, brake fade was one of the reason I upgraded the levo sl brakes.. The stock 4 pot srams would over heat and either fade or boil depending on when I last changed the fluid. Only when I was doing silly things - but that's exactly when you NEED reliable brakes.

I've moved to xt's with finned pads and a 203 mm rear disk, so far it's working well. I did contemplate a larger front rotor, but my fox 36 forks are only rated to 203 mm.

Wow I did not know such thing can happen.
I have titanium bolts on mine not even sure what cheap hub I got from Biktrix.
I have 220mm forward rotors and 203 aft.
It wasn't the bolts that failed it was a hub that didn't have integral disc mount and a threaded adapter added..
The adapter mounting threads failed.

I'm going to inspect my brake system this morning. Give it a good cleaning and make sure bolts on rotors and calipers are torqued properly with loktite.
Routine monthly owner perform maintenance.
Dont forget a nice bubble bath and mallet treatment.
smash.gif

Bolts connect brake rotor to hub isn't it?
Mine is like that no adapter.

Yes... That how it is typically.
I didn't even know such an adapter thing existed.
Probably ok if done with a better quality part, possibly stainless steel on a non e light bike. Obviously not the case here...
This is a case of cutting corners to the extreme.

I had my front bike bag cause the back brake line to crack and the shop discovered it when they were replacing the shifting housing. I didn't to see any performance drop but the lever was creeping inward and it leaked. our tandem we battle glazing on the pads. We have serious steep hills we have to keep the speed down. one thats 18% grade got to keep the speed under 25mph. and then short ones where maybe 10mph or less that are even steeper. it usually only causes noise but can really impact breaking effectiveness.

Last edited:
Back