This is not good, and its my fault

Seriously on brakes
I installed new race pads but I don't have the tool to align the caliper.
Now the rear brake is dragging wearing down my rotor. I will buy the tool if I know what it is called.
Rome, you need no tool.

I assume you installed the new pads properly.

First of all, I think you have squeezed the brake lever when the wheel was off the bike. Remove the wheel again. Take a tire lever, insert it between the brake pads, and move the lever the way to push the brake pistons back into their proper idle position. It should leave a gap between the brake pads significantly wider than the thickness of the brake rotor.

Replace the wheel. Using a hex wrench, loosen two bolts that hold the brake calibers onto the frame (loosen but do not remove them). Now, squeeze the respective brake lever strongly and fasten the caliper bolts. Release the brake lever.

Hydraulic brake calipers are self-centering.

If you need to straighten out your rotor, use this…

IMG_3978.jpeg

A wobbly rotor could also be at fault.

they can warp but they usually straighten back out when it cools. we see this on the tandem a lot. though since going to e bikes I have not had a rotor really warp and stay warped years ago like I used to have on mechanical brakes.

My brother-in-law got an e-bike delivered in a box that was all smashed up.
The front brake rotor was bent.

He just bent it back.

@Rome ,.. install your wheel and spin it and watch (and listen to) the brake disk rotate through the brake pads.

A warped disk is easy to see and hear.

20240210_174539.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to know where to find these mystical objects.

ALL brake rotors will warp if you rapidly heat then cool them. Try a 500 m black descent followed by a few creek crossings on a hot day.
Most of us do not put our e-bikes to the extremes. And I do not think Rome does a "500 m black descent followed by a few creek crossings on a hot day". I do not think he was able to hit his brake rotor to actually bend it, either.

1707606869344.png
I did many high mountain long descents, and I actually know you can burn your fingers if you accidentally touch the rotor after stopping but no brake rotor of mine has ever got warped.

What I explained to Romeo were the basics of the hydraulic brake caliper maintenance.

Last edited:
My brother-in-law got an e-bike delivered in a box that was all smashed up.
The front brake rotor was bent.

He just bent it back.

@Rome ,.. install your wheel and spin it and watch (and listen to) the brake disk rotate through the brake pads.

A warped disk is easy to see and hear.

View attachment 170998
Rotors can be hard to straighten once bent, you can spend hours bending them this way and that only to end up with kinks that keep your pads spread and wearing down when not in use.

Of course my idea of bent is hitting a rock and about an inch out of true 😂

Rotors are straight. I text my Bulls tech
How to align/reset to factory specs. My calipers. He said to loosen caliper bolts and stick .5mm spacer on 2 side sandwich the rotor hold brake lever for 5 seconds. Tourqe bolts when you satisfied with tightness. Release brake pressure .
There you have that's how I set both my bike.
Basically what you were told.
I've found the 0.05mm spacers to not be totally unnecessary and be a pain in the ass.
But whatever makes you happy.

I wake and baked this morning. Getting ready to start the day.

You should start your day with a Duck Bong,.. 😂

Screenshot_20240211-151206_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Having the little rubber ducky bobbing around in its little duck pond inside the duck bong will surely put a smile ☺ on your face.

Best way to start the morning.

You don’t even have to submerge the tire. Another way is to get that soapy water and a brush. A paint brush will work well. “Paint” the soapy water around the suspected areas and you’ll see bubbles form where the hole is. I think you can actually see the hole better because the tire is not submerged in a bucket of water.

I test for leaks in the pool of laundry tub that way if it is leaking around a spoke or the valve steam it is a quick find.

Back