The "UNOFFICIAL" Hydra FAQ thread....

The throttle is nowhere near as powerful as with the pedal assist and I really can't think of a situation where I need or want it. I don't think it's unrestricted but I'm not positive - I base that on the fact that lvl 3 and up feels much more powerful than the throttle. I'd just rather be pedaling than sitting there using a throttle.

The Magura brakes cut the motor as soon as they're pressed at all so the torque sensor doesn't come into play when stopping with brakes. You just get used to the timing of the motor cutting and coming back to power with stopping and starting. Same with getting into the right gear with the Kindernay. After a day or two of riding you intuitively remember which thumb shifter shifts up and down and know whether you were in a "good" gear or not when coming to a stop quickly and pick close to the right as soon as you stop or prepare to move again. When you're riding a motorcycle or driving a stick shift, you don't think in your head "I'm in gear 4" and when you stop or slow down "I was in gear 4 so I should shift to gear 2 to get up this hill" you just shift seamlessly to the correct gear based on feel and getting used to the bike/car.

We'll see about leaking no issues so far. Yes, shipping would be a big pain.

You really aren't pedaling fast to get to the high 20s or 30mph, it's more the effort. Level 1 or 2 will require more effort. Once you hit the speed "wall" with a given level and your own pedaling effort, you can click up to lvl 3 or 4, the motor gives more power and will push you to a slightly higher speed and with the same effort your pedal cadence will go up as well. Not having spent a ton of time yet riding, but cruising in the low to mid-30s probably feels a tad fast for sustained pedal cadence, but realistically if you are off-road or in any sort of urban environment you will not be cruising at 35 mph indefinitely.

I'd liken the shifting experience much more to a motorcyle with the kindernay. You don't have to worry about downshifting which is great, you can get into any gear at a stop, you ease off power while shifting and you learn to keep the motor and gears in a good power band to get around. Starting from a dead stop you run through the gears quickly but while the 7 speed kindernay might have slightly taller gears, I still think it's better to have more gear options across more situations than less shifting because most of your time spent shifting is adjusting a few gears up or down while in motion.
Hello J10001, I'm very close to make decision to buy Hydra, thank you for detail information and photo. I'm thinking to buy with Kindernay gearing option. I asked WW to send me few photos to see how it looks with this option, but they tell me to look at their Instagram website, I found next:
1634120751175.png
1634120638455.png
1634120689257.png

From those photos seems that Kindernay cables for oil fluid are not inside frame (first photo)? And why is derailleur there (second photo) if there is Kindernay than it shouldn’t be derailleur? On third photo it looks even bigger?? To be honest on those photos straps and derailleur not looks nice.
Can you please send few photos how it looks on your Hydra? I hope WW have better solution to hide or fix cables for Kindernay.
And last question do you have restricted 750W or derestricted throttle, sorry if you already mention this in your previous posts.

Thanks and best regards from Croatia!

Correct, it is a tensioner and is needed on a full suspension bike.

I went through 3 different Kindernay hubs on my Hydra before calling it a day due to oil leaks. It would be fine for days and then all of a sudden there would be oil everywhere on the floor under my bike. It was replaced with the 11-speed and electronic shifting and I've not had any issues with that.

Thank you guys! Now I see this "derailleur" actually tensioner for sure must be because of rear suspension, but question is can WW hide cables, or those thick straps need to be as on photos on my first post.
My second option is FLX Blade 2.0 with Carbon Gates belt drive and Rohloff 500/14 Speed Hub. This bike don't have rear suspension, but i think FLX have better solution to drive with Bafang Ultra motor. I wait for answers from WW and maybe some more photos from J10001 and then I make decision.

Thank you guys! Now I see this "derailleur" actually tensioner for sure must be because of rear suspension, but question is can WW hide cables, or those thick straps need to be as on photos on my first post.
My second option is FLX Blade 2.0 with Carbon Gates belt drive and Rohloff 500/14 Speed Hub. This bike don't have rear suspension, but i think FLX have better solution to drive with Bafang Ultra motor. I wait for answers from WW and maybe some more photos from J10001 and then I make decision.
Those cables are too thick to be routed internally. If they could hide them they would.

No rear suspension and the rohloff vs kindernay debate… I like the Kindernay ‘cage’ system for other wheel options. Blade looks like a great bike tho and has the belt drive… fun to have choices.

Those cables are too thick to be routed internally. If they could hide them they would.
Cables are not too thick to be routed internally, but need a bit of slack at the end to make removing the wheel easy, and must have slack somewhere to accommodate the full suspension travel. And there are two of them..
I am not sure if the hydra has holes in the swingarm and or if they could accommodate the above.
@pushkar may be able to comment.

If not, I think they could be passed more discretely using stick on little clips that could go just above the arm or even behind if there is space.

The throttle is nowhere near as powerful as with the pedal assist and I really can't think of a situation where I need or want it. I don't think it's unrestricted but I'm not positive - I base that on the fact that lvl 3 and up feels much more powerful than the throttle. I'd just rather be pedaling than sitting there using a throttle.

The Magura brakes cut the motor as soon as they're pressed at all so the torque sensor doesn't come into play when stopping with brakes. You just get used to the timing of the motor cutting and coming back to power with stopping and starting. Same with getting into the right gear with the Kindernay. After a day or two of riding you intuitively remember which thumb shifter shifts up and down and know whether you were in a "good" gear or not when coming to a stop quickly and pick close to the right as soon as you stop or prepare to move again. When you're riding a motorcycle or driving a stick shift, you don't think in your head "I'm in gear 4" and when you stop or slow down "I was in gear 4 so I should shift to gear 2 to get up this hill" you just shift seamlessly to the correct gear based on feel and getting used to the bike/car.

We'll see about leaking no issues so far. Yes, shipping would be a big pain.

You really aren't pedaling fast to get to the high 20s or 30mph, it's more the effort. Level 1 or 2 will require more effort. Once you hit the speed "wall" with a given level and your own pedaling effort, you can click up to lvl 3 or 4, the motor gives more power and will push you to a slightly higher speed and with the same effort your pedal cadence will go up as well. Not having spent a ton of time yet riding, but cruising in the low to mid-30s probably feels a tad fast for sustained pedal cadence, but realistically if you are off-road or in any sort of urban environment you will not be cruising at 35 mph indefinitely.

I'd liken the shifting experience much more to a motorcyle with the kindernay. You don't have to worry about downshifting which is great, you can get into any gear at a stop, you ease off power while shifting and you learn to keep the motor and gears in a good power band to get around. Starting from a dead stop you run through the gears quickly but while the 7 speed kindernay might have slightly taller gears, I still think it's better to have more gear options across more situations than less shifting because most of your time spent shifting is adjusting a few gears up or down while in motion.
Great insights for those of us waiting. Thank you for taking the time to put all that in writing.

My wife and I just did a couple of days of camping where our bikes were going to be left outside and locked up overnight. For this reason we took our original ebikes - two hardtails. We both noticed missing our more recent FS bikes on the fire road type trails.

Anyone who thinks of getting a nice quality bike and going hardtail rather than FS I would encourage you to rent or borrow and put in some actual time on each.

Welcome to EBR, by the way, GoranO

Cables are not too thick to be routed internally, but need a bit of slack at the end to make removing the wheel easy, and must have slack somewhere to accommodate the full suspension travel. And there are two of them..
I am not sure if the hydra has holes in the swingarm and or if they could accommodate the above.
@pushkar may be able to comment.

If not, I think they could be passed more discretely using stick on little clips that could go just above the arm or even behind if there is space.
Kindernay has 2 shifter cables, and not are on the drive side. The current frame has routing for one traditional shifter cable only. We are working on a longer term solution for kindernay routing on future bikes.

That being said, Kindernay (like rohloff) has mentioned that having them outside is recommended. We have a good routing solution for future bikes but it will be hard to change the current Hydra rear triangle.

Merle thank you for welcoming and advice. I need to make decision soon. I've Riese & Muller Charger3 for two years with Bosch Performance Line Speed motor 4 Gen (250W) and to be honest it become boring to drive even with new update on motor with torque 85 Nm, which is not enough on nice, not so demanding paths, along Adriatic coast and islands, so I decide to buy some real stuff from USA. There are quite many options and I reduced on three: Hydra, Blade 2.0 or Rockstar, I hope I will make good decision.

@pushkar thank you for explanation, all is clear, than maybe is better for me to buy Hydra with 11-speed cassette. I sent email to ([email protected]) on last Monday with few more questions regarding delivery to Croatia, paintings, etc. I hope I get answer soon to help me to decide which of these three beauties I should buy.

Great information. TY for taking the time.
750w limited throttle, a safety factor for all the IGH's means (@ typical 10watts per Nm.) = 77Nm.
I could still get around my 'one thumb available' limitation and go with the twosie - for another $600.
You're saying when you downshift, you don't need to pump the pedal to change several gears (like 10)? I do and my TS gives me a spurt of power each time. Braking (to cut off motor) while pedaling at the same (time to change gears) seems little better.
When you tap the brakes, does it pause power long enough to avoid this effect?

Fn'F

I believe it is 1000 watts when restricted , I have Kindernay so can’t answer the ? About shift pause. I can say this has enough power that when I pause to shift it can be a long time and still be ok don’t lose enough momentum that the bike can’t handle it , just goes…

Hello All- long time no write. Does anyone recognize the photos below? Given that the weather girl announced that Northern California can expect a series of fire ending rain storms, I know what @pushkar said is real. Due to ship soon. Stay tuned!!
-BB
C085F7F9-D464-4BCF-879B-B2E0F2D7FC25.jpeg
99C8EC8D-A2C5-4703-B416-07271D12DEB1.jpeg

15DE4CBE-737E-419D-926F-CC242E8A121C.jpeg

Answer: Look at pseudo-photo on post #1…..

Saw the pseudo photo on post one but still don't know for sure - is that your bike? Lucky Dog. Can't wait to get to my computer and look at all more closely.

That bike and Cuz Vinny's should definitely have great photos posted at WW Central to show the high end of what is possible. (Set the mark to try and beat.)

it’s transit to think how dirty it’s going to be the first time you take it out on a trail but it sure is beautiful now. I love those wheels

Back