The ultimate pedal and shoes discussion

I have always used Shimano SPD pedals/shoes on my road, hybrid, and MTBs... just like the ability to walk around on all surfaces. ;)

My E-bike still has the flat pedals that came with it, as it's new to me and I haven't had the chance to ride it as much as I'd like. Previous bike has dual sided SPD cleats/flat side. My road bike has Speedplay pedals (which are by far my favorite clipless pedals). As the weather gets better here and I start riding more, I'll evaluate whether I'll stay with flats or go clipless.

Like Fender or Gibson over in my other obsession (I split the difference and go PRS).
I guess I am Rickenbacker then.
Guess what? My principal electric guitar is a 1979 Japanese Pearl Custom Export. And my current electric bass is a 1978 Greco Electric Bass :D Both guitars are there.

For English speakers... It was when I had long hair.

Loved my Ricky 330! For some strange reason, I gave it to my son a few years ago. Fortunately I have resisted letting go of my 66 Strat, bought new as a 16th birthday present in 1967 for $227.

IMG_3465.jpeg

Last edited:
Friends,

There is much talking and advertising on cycling shoes. If we set the "clipless" shoes aside, there is much talk how stiff the soles of the cycling shoes should be, how much grip they should offer, how the toes should be protected etc. I agree, the Adidas FiveTen are very good for platform pedals in many respects.

Yet, I have found what shoes are the best for me. Hard to believe. The ordinary Adidas Archivo EF0436 trainers are the best for me.

1584391299523.png

Yes, the sole is elastic, so what? These shoes are lightweight. The sole sticks to the Crankbrothers Stamp pedals as if glued with Loctite. The grip is so good I'm often wondering if I'm riding with clipless pedals! Actually, I have to adjust the feet position on the pedals during the ride to the most efficient one because when the foot stamps the pedal, it is impossible to move it without lifting the foot. I've recently ridden for 50 miles in these shoes and it was one of the best rides I have had.

So much for "dedicated cycling shoes" :D For most of us who are not competing cyclists, the choice of shoes is personal, it's not a science.

I have clipless on both my road bikes and since I like them so much I decided to put a set on my Pedego RidgeRider. After riding for a couple of weeks I took them off and put the flat pedals back on. Not sure why, but I prefer riding my ebike with the flat pedals.

I have clipless on both my road bikes and since I like them so much I decided to put a set on my Pedego RidgeRider. After riding for a couple of weeks I took them off and put the flat pedals back on. Not sure why, but I prefer riding my ebike with the flat pedals.
Same with me on the Vado. Too many things to control (including the new dropper post) and I started forgetting about the feet clipped in...

For something grippy but not dangerous, like a metal cage pedal or mtb spikes, this is a really nice alternative from The Shadow Conspiracy Shop. My LBS gave me a set to deliver my mountain bike, but I ended up getting a pair of Stamp1's, put the Shadows on my crossbike. They're cheap and good - https://shop.theshadowconspiracy.com/shop/parts-accessories/pedals/tsc-surface-plastic-pedal.html

Oh, and the CrankBros Stamps are really nice. A lot of riders on the mtb forums like the nylon pedals cuz they don't clang so bad if you hit something, which seems to be common with trail riding. Already been there done that. Plus the anodizing finish of an alloy material gets scratched off giving them a ragged look. Got the Stamp-1's and really like them so far. 😜

For shoes I've been wearing my RedWing moc-toe work boots with the white christy soles - just outstanding. Perfect grip and protection, easy to reposition a foot, the pedal spikes hold tight. They'll probly be too warm for summer trail riding. Like those shoes @Stefan Mikes . 👍

Shadows:

103-06428_tsc_surfaceplasticpedal_black_web.jpg

CrankBrothers Stamp 1:

pe170g00blk--sml.jpg

For something grippy but not dangerous, like a metal cage pedal or mtb spikes, this is a really nice alternative from The Shadow Conspiracy Shop. My LBS gave me a set to deliver my mountain bike, but I ended up getting a pair of Stamp1's, put the Shadows on my crossbike. They're cheap and good - https://shop.theshadowconspiracy.com/shop/parts-accessories/pedals/tsc-surface-plastic-pedal.html

Oh, and the CrankBros Stamps are really nice. A lot of riders on the mtb forums like the nylon pedals cuz they don't clang so bad if you hit something, which seems to be common with trail riding. Already been there done that. Plus the anodizing finish of an alloy material gets scratched off giving them a ragged look. Got the Stamp-1's and really like them so far. 😜

For shoes I've been wearing my RedWing moc-toe work boots with the white christy soles - just outstanding. Perfect grip and protection, easy to reposition a foot, the pedal spikes hold tight. They'll probly be too warm for summer trail riding. Like those shoes @Stefan Mikes . 👍

Shadows:

103-06428_tsc_surfaceplasticpedal_black_web.jpg

CrankBrothers Stamp 1:

pe170g00blk--sml.jpg

I agree with your recommendation on the composite pedals with nylon spikes... I got tired of giving blood on rides. ;)

Hey, friends, don't you exaggerate with that blood thing? I like gadgets and got me Stamp 7 large, the metal pedals with sharp spikes. No injuries so far regardless of the shoes I rode in.

A Warning: Could Be Platform Pedals With Some Shoes Too Efficient?

Oh yes, oh year. A funny story from my last Wednesdays metric century ride:

I use Crankbrothers Stamp 7 Large pedals and -- as it is warm weather now -- the Adidas FiveTen shoes for my long-range e-bike. It has turned out the rubber soles of the 510s become properly soft only at "normal" warm season temperatures. I rode the Good Ole Mule on a bike path and had to suddenly stop at the red signal; there was a low metal fence just at my left side. I stopped the bike and suddenly realised I was falling aside because the left foot wouldn't release from the pedal! At the last moment, I lifted my left foot from the pedal and regained the balance 😊

Bear in mind: Proper platform pedals with proper shoes hold your feet as firmly as if it were the clipless pedals/shoes!

What's a shoe? Seriously, I haven't worn a pair in what, 40 years? Sandals all the way, baby. In winter, it's 2 pairs of wool socks w/ them to keep my toes from turning blue and falling off. In Florida and Hawaii, it's....winter? What's winter? Needless to say, I go w/ the flat pedals on my bikes. Love them.

Why did I choose that very colour? (expecting it Red)

1588184875566.png

Crankbrothers Stamp 1 Large. I use the Stamp 7 Large on my other e-bike.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
A Crankbrothers Stamp 7 Large pedal, dedicated for big feet
+1 for the Stamps

I used to ride clipped in on a road bike. Plusses and minuses, but it definitely adds some complication. These days I just want to ride and not worry about it.

The Stamps are REALLY grippy...

Back