The right sized Vado?

Phyz

I'm on the bubble between a Large and Extra Large frame size per Specialized size chart. I'm 6'1" (185cm). But I'm tall in the torso (32" inseam). The smart thing to do would be to go to the LBS and test drive both. But the LBSs don't seem to have Vados of any kind anywhere near their showroom floors. Two? In different sizes? No way. LBS said to pop in and they'd put me on some Specialized models of whatever they've got lying around and they'll be able to work it out. I'm sure they can, to a reasonable degree.

Before I head in, what should be looking for; what are the downsides of landing on a bike that's a bit too big or too small?

No doubt I should look at my being on the bubble as having the ability to pedal happily on an L or an XL.

Either way, I'm going to have to order the bike. I'd like to get the right size.

I'm on the bubble between a Large and Extra Large frame size per Specialized size chart. I'm 6'1" (185cm). But I'm tall in the torso (32" inseam). The smart thing to do would be to go to the LBS and test drive both. But the LBSs don't seem to have Vados of any kind anywhere near their showroom floors. Two? In different sizes? No way. LBS said to pop in and they'd put me on some Specialized models of whatever they've got lying around and they'll be able to work it out. I'm sure they can, to a reasonable degree.

Before I head in, what should be looking for; what are the downsides of landing on a bike that's a bit too big or too small?

No doubt I should look at my being on the bubble as having the ability to pedal happily on an L or an XL.

Either way, I'm going to have to order the bike. I'd like to get the right size.
It is always best to try before you buy
If you can’t then it is usually easier to make a small fit bigger than it is to make a big fit smaller
This can be achieved by changing the stem length to a longer one, raising the height of the bars with an extension, and also with an offset seatpost to allow the saddle to sit further back
I would go with the smaller of the frame sizes if I had to choose without a test ride

Last edited:
Got a message from the LBS: they say the XL is for people 6’2” or taller. Seems like a small market, but...

Seems like the L is what I want to go with.

I'm 6/1" also, always inbetween on the bikes, pants, shoes, etc. I bought the Vado 5.0 in Large, no regrets, did install some raised handlebars and thudbuster seat post which both effect the fitting.

I did buy a Specialized Sequoia in XL 5 yrs ago, regret that, should have bought the L, was inbetween on that one also. Lesson learned.

6'4" with about 33" inseam and I'm on the XL Vado frame. And there is actually still room to extend my seatpost further if I wanted! That is a big deal to me on an e-bike, where so many seem to be "one frame size fits all" and I end up having to purchase a 450mm replacement seatpost in order to get full leg extension.

But I do agree with:
...it is usually easier to make a small fit bigger than it is to make a big fit smaller
...I would go with the smaller of the frame sizes if I had to choose without a test ride

Looks like the Large would be the winner for you.

I agree with the Large. I’m 6-0 with a 32” inseam. While I knew that L was the right size for me, I was surprised at delivery how large it is. Not in a bad way at all but, for one thing, I have the seat positioned as low as it can go- meaning that I’d say the L is definitely not for anyone under 5’-11-6’-0 and I’m sure would be right for someone 6’-1.
I can’t imagine anyone under 6’-2 or maybe even 6’-3 needing or wanting an XL.

Large and Step Through is what I’m planning on. Let’s be honest though (even if Specialized is not): the Vado Step Through is really a mid-step.

Specialized says the Large is for people up to 6’1” and the XL is for people 6’1” and taller. So being 6’1”, I was unsure which way to go. But it sound like L is the way to go.

Large and Step Through is what I’m planning on. Let’s be honest though (even if Specialized is not): the Vado Step Through is really a mid-step.

Specialized says the Large is for people up to 6’1” and the XL is for people 6’1” and taller. So being 6’1”, I was unsure which way to go. But it sound like L is the way to go.

Agreed Phyz. Vado is mid-step.
Even though my Vado was advertised as “step through”, there’s nothing “step through” about it, unless of course you are an Olympic gymnast.
However, I will say standing over it is easier than a high step frame.

Back