The infamous Motobecane HAL E-MTB. I bought one…

Hi all,

The Motobecane HAL eBoost 29er ($2699) and Team ($3999) seem to be ship-able still. The Pro and Elite are both Aug-Sept delivery. I was eyeing the 29er as a good entry commuter for my 24mi round trip commutes, but was hesitating on the e6100 vs e7000 (which is now moot given the delivery time). An online bike shop has suggested a Haibike SDURO FULLSEVEN LT 3.0 for a little less than the Motobecane 29er.

1. What are people's thoughts on the entry level Motobecane? Good for a 24 mile commute on a converted rail path? (W&OD trail for those in NOVA)? Worth spending the extra $200 for the Elite and waiting months?
2. Thoughts on Haibike vs the Motobecane? It seems the newer Shimano motors have more options than the Yamaha, like adjusting settings via the app, and the Motobecane seems to be better spec'ed otherwise as well (given the Haibike is a 2019 3.0).
3. What other options are out there in that $2000 window?

Hi all,
The Motobecane HAL eBoost 29er ($2699) and Team ($3999) seem to be ship-able still. The Pro and Elite are both Aug-Sept delivery. I was eyeing the 29er as a good entry commuter for my 24mi round trip commutes, but was hesitating on the e6100 vs e7000 (which is now moot given the delivery time). An online bike shop has suggested a Haibike SDURO FULLSEVEN LT 3.0 for a little less than the Motobecane 29er.
1. What are people's thoughts on the entry level Motobecane? Good for a 24 mile commute on a converted rail path? (W&OD trail for those in NOVA)? Worth spending the extra $200 for the Elite and waiting months?
2. Thoughts on Haibike vs the Motobecane? It seems the newer Shimano motors have more options than the Yamaha, like adjusting settings via the app, and the Motobecane seems to be better spec'ed otherwise as well (given the Haibike is a 2019 3.0).
3. What other options are out there in that $2000 window?

I ride both the Shimano and Yamaha drive systems. The Shimano is nice with the custom phone app, while the Yamaha delivers more torque and power.
Bottom line... you can't go wrong with either option and I would let availability strongly influence your decision as many EBikes are already sold out for the season.

Thanks FlatSix! I hear you!
I do feel like the Motobecane has higher end components, but wonder if the tradeoff is worth it for the bigger motor and battery on the Fullseven. Since I do plan on making this mostly a commuter, I am also wondering if I should stick with my 29er gut, or if the 27.5 isn't really much different. I've also heard the Haibike has better resale, not that I am too worried about that.

You think the e6100 will get me up to higher commuting speeds, or will I need to speedbox anything I get?

Lenny's also has a closeout BH Rebel Lynx Lite for around $2K as well, which looks comparable, but older and less decked out than either the Motobecane or Haibike.

So the bikeshop I am working with have the full line of 2019 Haibike fullsevens available (3.0,7.0, 9.0). The 7 and 9 have the Bosch CX motor (the older one) and are more in line with the Motobecane in terms of spec and price. the 9.0 is less than the Pro Motobecane. Even so, my gut says the 29er will be better suited to the mostly paved world I live in; just worried about the e6100 vs all these bigger motors...

So the bikeshop I am working with have the full line of 2019 Haibike fullsevens available (3.0,7.0, 9.0). The 7 and 9 have the Bosch CX motor (the older one) and are more in line with the Motobecane in terms of spec and price. the 9.0 is less than the Pro Motobecane. Even so, my gut says the 29er will be better suited to the mostly paved world I live in; just worried about the e6100 vs all these bigger motors...

I would not worry about the Shimano E6100 motor... it can be custom-tuned for road or trail performance with the phone app and is just as responsive as the Bosch.

I addition, it will have the capacity for a longer range if all other parameters are equal.

It looks like BD just added another EMTB model to their line up... the Hal-e27 Boost ships in September.

1593320074252.png

Hope it doesn't have the same internal dropper cable issue their other full suspension ebikes seem to...

Hope it doesn't have the same internal dropper cable issue their other full suspension ebikes seem to...

It looks like the same frame design on the 4 EMTB models except for the one with an integrated battery.

The main difference is the Shimano Steps motor... there may be more cable clearance with the smaller E7000 & E8000 drives vs. the E6100 in the referenced post.

1593368457204.png

Last edited:
Now they have even more bikes in this line - even a bafang 600 class 3. Wish it had the dual battery option like the Frey EX, could be a great long range do all commuter. I still haven't pulled the trigger. The only motobecane left in stock is the 29er, everything else is Sept/Oct. Now that I'm looking at 3K bikes, even the Commencal Meta power 29 is in the running.

Now they have even more bikes in this line - even a Bafang 600 class 3. Wish it had the dual battery option like the Frey EX, could be a great long range do all commuter.

I still haven't pulled the trigger. The only Motobecane left in stock is the 29er, everything else is Sept/Oct. Now that I'm looking at 3K bikes, even the Commencal Meta power 29 is in the running.

Yes, I noticed that BD now offers 8 different mountain bikes... including both Shimano Steps and Bafang drive systems from $1,999 to $3,999.

The eBoost M600 looks interesting with a dropper post and 120Nm of torque and a Bafang mid-drive with an integrated battery for $2,899

1593883190163.png

1593882955812.png

Yes, I noticed that BD now offers 8 different mountain bikes... including both Shimano Steps and Bafang drive systems from $1,999 to $3,999.

The eBoost M600 looks interesting with a 120Nm of torque and a Bafang mid-drive with an integrated battery for $2,899

View attachment 57742

View attachment 57741
Although BD offers good deals on some models, it sometimes seems like they start with the MSRP then add 120% markup calling the real MSRP the sales price that is at 60% off.
That Motobecane M600 is definitely NOT a $7500 eMTB with the components they use. I would also worry about the M600's infamous motor noise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Although BD offers good deals on some models, it sometimes seems like they start with the MSRP then add 120% markup calling the real MSRP the sales price that is at 60% off.
That Motobecane M600 is definitely NOT a $7500 eMTB with the components they use. I would also worry about the M600's infamous motor noise. :rolleyes:

I have just learned to ignore the claimed MSRP and focus on the value comparison.

My choice would be the eBoost Team with the Shimano E8000 drive and integrated battery. ;)

I saw both of these mentioned here, but couldn't really find a comparison. If you were considering the HAL eBoost Elite and HAL e27PLUS, which are currently the exact same price...which is the way to go?

Elite: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...-hal-eboost-elite-electric-mountain-bikes.htm
e27PLUS: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...-hal-e27plus-electric-mountain-bikes-29er.htm

They appear to have different frames. The Elite has the same frame as the Pro (as previously mentioned in this thread) with the further back rear shock design. The e27PLUS almost looks like it has the same frame as the Hal e29. I think that's the older rear shock design, right? Except it looks close to the new TEAM model (the one with integrated battery). So is the e27PLUS newer? Are the specs overall better?

Are those cable clips on the downtube of the e29 and e27PLUS? What are they for?

It seems odd that they're even offering both the Elite and e27PLUS being that they are both E7000 and the same price...

I saw both of these mentioned here, but couldn't really find a comparison. If you were considering the HAL eBoost Elite and HAL e27PLUS, which are currently the exact same price...which is the way to go?

Elite: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...-hal-eboost-elite-electric-mountain-bikes.htm
e27PLUS: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...-hal-e27plus-electric-mountain-bikes-29er.htm

They appear to have different frames. The Elite has the same frame as the Pro (as previously mentioned in this thread) with the further back rear shock design. The e27PLUS almost looks like it has the same frame as the Hal e29. I think that's the older rear shock design, right? Except it looks close to the new TEAM model (the one with integrated battery). So is the e27PLUS newer? Are the specs overall better?

Are those cable clips on the downtube of the e29 and e27PLUS? What are they for?
It seems odd that they're even offering both the Elite and e27PLUS being that they are both E7000 and the same price...

The bikes are very similar in spec... the Elite appears to have upgraded XT Brakes and greater rear shock travel.

The cable clips are for mounting an external dropper post... I don't think you can go wrong with either model. ;)

The bikes are very similar in spec... the Elite appears to have upgraded XT Brakes and greater rear shock travel.

The cable clips are for mounting an external dropper post... I don't think you can go wrong with either model. ;)

Hmm -- I emailed BD and they got back pretty quickly that the e27PLUS is the "better" bike, but I guess that depends on what specifically they're looking at? The "MSRP" is slightly higher on the e27PLUS. I was leaning towards the Elite being better because of the e27PLUS similarities (specifically the frame design) to the cheaper e29, but I really don't know.

Ask them better in what way(s).

Heard back -- they said better fork and tubeless ready tires make the e27PLUS the better bike.

In reality I guess it's a question of whether you want the better XT brakes and greater rear shock travel (Elite) or the better fork and tubeless ready tires (e27PLUS). The e27PLUS frame design also seems like it protects the rear shock better and doesn't have the spot to collect debris, but I haven't seen any real pictures of the e27PLUS yet. Not sure how big of a deal that really is anyway.

It's a hard decision between these two, especially with no real reviews/pictures of the e27PLUS. I'm still wondering why they're selling both of these and for the same price. Seems like most people would have a tough decision choosing between them.

Heard back -- they said better fork and tubeless ready tires make the e27PLUS the better bike.

In reality I guess it's a question of whether you want the better XT brakes and greater rear shock travel (Elite) or the better fork and tubeless ready tires (e27PLUS). The e27PLUS frame design also seems like it protects the rear shock better and doesn't have the spot to collect debris, but I haven't seen any real pictures of the e27PLUS yet. Not sure how big of a deal that really is anyway.

It's a hard decision between these two, especially with no real reviews/pictures of the e27PLUS. I'm still wondering why they're selling both of these and for the same price. Seems like most people would have a tough decision choosing between them.

Doesn't the 29er also have tubless ready tires and rims? I'm really thinking about getting that and converting to Di2 for the cost difference. or just buy a commencal and be done with it. (for an extra $1.2k of course...)

Doesn't the 29er also have tubless ready tires and rims? I'm really thinking about getting that and converting to Di2 for the cost difference. or just buy a commencal and be done with it. (for an extra $1.2k of course...)

The wheels say tubeless ready but the tires don't say for the e29. The e29 and e27PLUS appear to have the same frame but fairly different components. Seems like $200 more for the e27PLUS gets you a lot (E7000 vs E6100M, better fork, better brakes, 1x12 instead of 1x11, better tires -- depending on where you ride).

Back