The infamous Motobecane HAL E-MTB. I bought one…

Both of the HAL eBoost Pro and Team are currently out of stock but the HAL eBoost M600 is available. Did anyone get one of these that can provide some feedback? How is the BAFANG M600 motor in comparison to the Shimano E8000?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...s-hal-eboost-m600-electric-mountain-bikes.htm

1649091671382.png

I can't speak to the M600, but FWIW Fezzari has some interesting Shimano-powered eMTBs at 2020 price points:

Both of the HAL eBoost Pro and Team are currently out of stock but the HAL eBoost M600 is available. Did anyone get one of these that can provide some feedback? How is the BAFANG M600 motor in comparison to the Shimano E8000?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...s-hal-eboost-m600-electric-mountain-bikes.htm

View attachment 118837
I just received my M600 last week and only have about 100 miles on it so far. Absolutely love it. It is the first ebike I've owned so I wasn't sure what to expect. The motor is incredible and coming from off road vehicles of all sorts, I don't hear hardly any noise from the motor so I'm not sure what the complaints are about that. This bike has greatly exceeded my expectations as far as performance. The only slight draw back so far is that I live in a hilly area and the battery range is lower that I had hoped (right at 20 miles on full assist/boost and a lot of climbing). Also, I wish there were one or two taller gears available. It's also a little big for what I'm used to (I have the 46). The last bike I bought, and still have was a '96 Specialized Stump Jumper so this is numerous generations ahead. Awesome bike, surprised there aren't more reviews of it.

I like BikesDirect. Built my bike on their Deadeye 29er, which is great for an IGH build with horizontal open dropouts, and was a steal at $350 back at the start of the Troubles.

The dropper post has been constant problems. Finally bought a use wireless sram ASX dropper and it is awesome. After trying rekkon, ikon and other tires, no have 27.5 x 2.8 minion DHF front and DHRII rear. Best tires by far.

I just got the Motobecane HAL E-boost M600 with the 27.5 tires. Was previously on a older Motobecane full squish converted to an e-bike with the Bafang BBSHD. The BBSHD has been such a great motor I decided to stick with it on this new model. I have never rode the Shimano motors to compare to. But reading reviews the Bafang seemed to be more reliable.
So far I rarely use anything above level 1 except really steep climbs. Motor is quick and powerful even in level 1. Stand-over height listed a bit inaccurate as I got the med 42C. They list this for up to 5'8" and 30.5" stand over. But I'm 5'9" and realistically it is 32-33" stand-over, so very happy I did not purchase the large.

Overall great bike, just a few minor grips.
1) battery would not lock in with cover screwed down tight, had to loosen the cover a little.
2) Kind Dropper Post uses the cable backwards putting the adjustable stop hidden in the seat tub, meaning you cannot easily adjust cable length and the cable is hard to slide through being it is tightly pinched between the tub and the motor. If the adjustable stop lets loose you will need to remove the motor to access the line and pull back up.
3) Crank arm length of 170mm is ridiculous on an e-bike. Very limited options for replacement cranks, but I switch out to a 155mm and feels perfect, no more pedal strikes.
4) Metal cover for internal routing was a bad idea, it seems to be cutting into the throttle wire, but I did not install the throttle so not too worried.
5) No eco mode. I was disappointed you cannot yet reprogram these motor. Bafang seems to start out the power levels with 50% of motors capability. My prior BBSHD I was able to reprogram to start at 10% capability and increase on 10% increments. I usually rode at 30 to 40% power to give me more of a workout on shorter rides or extended battery life for longer rides.

I love the geometry and I have more confidence to go faster on the downhills. Big difference in the feeling coming from the BBSHD with no torque sensing and now having torque sensing add more power for you automatically.
Even in level 1 I rarely use the 50t gear for climbing, so it is a beast for climbing. Prior bike had 52v battery, so I was a little hesitant going down to a 43v battery. But did a fast 10 miles yesterday with a 1000ft in elevation gain and had over 80% battery left.

I just got the Motobecane HAL E-boost M600 with the 27.5 tires. Was previously on a older Motobecane full squish converted to an e-bike with the Bafang BBSHD. The BBSHD has been such a great motor I decided to stick with it on this new model. I have never rode the Shimano motors to compare to. But reading reviews the Bafang seemed to be more reliable.
So far I rarely use anything above level 1 except really steep climbs. Motor is quick and powerful even in level 1. Stand-over height listed a bit inaccurate as I got the med 42C. They list this for up to 5'8" and 30.5" stand over. But I'm 5'9" and realistically it is 32-33" stand-over, so very happy I did not purchase the large.

Overall great bike, just a few minor grips.
1) battery would not lock in with cover screwed down tight, had to loosen the cover a little.
2) Kind Dropper Post uses the cable backwards putting the adjustable stop hidden in the seat tub, meaning you cannot easily adjust cable length and the cable is hard to slide through being it is tightly pinched between the tub and the motor. If the adjustable stop lets loose you will need to remove the motor to access the line and pull back up.
3) Crank arm length of 170mm is ridiculous on an e-bike. Very limited options for replacement cranks, but I switch out to a 155mm and feels perfect, no more pedal strikes.
4) Metal cover for internal routing was a bad idea, it seems to be cutting into the throttle wire, but I did not install the throttle so not too worried.
5) No eco mode. I was disappointed you cannot yet reprogram these motor. Bafang seems to start out the power levels with 50% of motors capability. My prior BBSHD I was able to reprogram to start at 10% capability and increase on 10% increments. I usually rode at 30 to 40% power to give me more of a workout on shorter rides or extended battery life for longer rides.

I love the geometry and I have more confidence to go faster on the downhills. Big difference in the feeling coming from the BBSHD with no torque sensing and now having torque sensing add more power for you automatically.
Even in level 1 I rarely use the 50t gear for climbing, so it is a beast for climbing. Prior bike had 52v battery, so I was a little hesitant going down to a 43v battery. But did a fast 10 miles yesterday with a 1000ft in elevation gain and had over 80% battery left.
That is very efficient. My Motobecane Ultra eAdventure (no longer manufactured, it seems) will do about the same, has the same battery, but has a far weaker motor only 40nm, so I am working a lot harder! (I need a much lighter bike for a lot of reasons, mine is about 46 pounds-- can lift it over gates, etc.) So that distance and elevation uses the same amount of juice, but would leave my shirt soaked in sweat when it's 68 degrees out. Quite manageable at 65 years old, exactly the kind of workout I'm looking for. (A few years from now, I dunno!)

The M600 has a very different down tube, and it's hard to say about the geometry, they appear similar. I don't have much basis for comparison, I'm a novice rider moving towards intermediate, and have only ridden one other FS eMTB. But my bike is incredibly stable going downhill.

The build quality does appear to be outstanding. The welds all look great, I've only had mine a thousand miles, but I did flip it a few weeks ago-- fell backwards, bike fell on top of me. A slow fall, but still...

Nothing moved, nothing loosened. The paint isn't even scratched.

Enjoy!

I just got the Motobecane HAL E-boost M600 with the 27.5 tires. Was previously on a older Motobecane full squish converted to an e-bike with the Bafang BBSHD. The BBSHD has been such a great motor I decided to stick with it on this new model. I have never rode the Shimano motors to compare to. But reading reviews the Bafang seemed to be more reliable...
I have trail-ridden bikes quite a bit with Shimano as well as Bafang motors (including a HAL eBoost Pro and a couple of conversions using BBSHDs), and the main difference to me is the smoothness and sophistication of power delivery. STePS systems win that contest hands down unless the rider prefers more motorbike-like experience on their bicycles.

Reprogramming to 10% increments and not using a throttle probably helped you get a more cycling-like riding experience from your HD.

Disclaimer: I have yet to trail-ride with an M600-powered ebike.
Kind Dropper Post uses the cable backwards putting the adjustable stop hidden in the seat tub, meaning you cannot easily adjust cable length and the cable is hard to slide through being it is tightly pinched between the tub and the motor. If the adjustable stop lets loose you will need to remove the motor to access the line and pull back up.
Not sure this is a Kind dropper issue. My 2017 HAL eBoost Pro with Shimano's e8000 motor had the same KS e10 dropper that's still used on Motobecan eMTBs, and I had to drop its motor to make adjustments, too.

I have the same e10 dropper on my Commencal eMTB, as well, but its cable slides easily between the motor and bike frame - no motor removal required. I believe it's a design flaw on most if not all Motobecan/BikesDirect full suspension eMTBs because I've seen it happen to the couple of friends' HAL ebikes, too...

I bought the internal battery m600 29er version of this bike and thought I’d leave my impressions to help others make a purchasing decision.

I’m just under 6 feet and am kind of a tweener, feeling cramped on most medium frames without putting on a longer stem and moving the seat back so I got the 51cm and although it’s big, it fits me well and doesn’t feel big when riding it.

Assembly was straightforward except for the dropper, which others have noted. The cable was way to long, so I ended up cutting off a few inches. If your not handy this alone might make it worth having it done by a lbs. The battery wouldn’t click in after putting on the cover. I fixed this by shimming it with a couple washers on top of the stand offs on the end that faces the headset.

I’ve got a little less that 200 miles on it so far. I live in south west Pennsylvania which has lots of short steep hills and is often wet and muddy and I ride technical single track almost exclusively.

At first I was disappointed with the range, but I think that was due to riding in muddy conditions. As the trails dry out, range has improved quite a bit. I find The m600 to be pretty quiet. I ride without throttle in 1 with 9 power levels enabled. It’s the canbus controller, so it can’t be tuned like the uart version which isn’t ideal. I’d like to tone down the initial surge of power, which can be a bit much.

Reliability wise, both the deraulier and the hanger have come loose. If you have shifting issues, check both of these.

The front chain ring is already showing some wear and there is a tiny amount of play in the rear suspension.

The battery occasionally un-clicks after big hits which is annoying. Still trying to figure out why. The release lever had become hard to move because it had gotten some grime in it and after cleaning it, the problem has become more frequent.

On my very first ride, the back tire started rubbing the speed sensor cable. I re-routed it on the outside of the rear triangle, which fixed the issue, but also reveled another annoyance which is that the motor won’t run unless the speed sensor is working. It’ll give power for a few feet and then display an error on the screen, so keeping a spare spoke magnet thingie handy is a good idea.

The in-frame charge port doesn’t work. I’ve checked all of the connections with a multimeter but nothing happens when the charger is plugged in. It might be the contacts, haven’t tried bd to see if they can send a replacement yet, I’ve just been removing the battery to charge.

Oh, another odd thing is the battery won’t charge when it’s cold. The charger light turns solid green until it warms up at which point it will charge.

Upgrades so far have been the pedals, replacing the RockShox forks with some Fox rhythm 36s which has been an all-around improvement. Also just got a 27.5 wheel set to try a mullet setup. Other than that, just some cheapo fenders.

Was it worth it? I think so. I find it to be plenty capable for what I ride and even with the upgrades I’m still under what I would have spent on big name brands.

How does it compare to x? No idea, my experience is limited to a 2010ish trek fuel conversion with a osf tsdz2 which is smoother and more natural. I’d guess that without the ability to tune it, the m600 won’t be competitive with other motors in terms of feel.

56F9EB85-2FC2-4495-859F-6E7F5205C36B.jpeg

View attachment 118837
Does anyone know how much it weighs? The promo-ad is misleading as it gives the weight of the Trek and the Turbo Level then says the HAL is somewhere in there...

Does anyone know how much it weighs? The promo-ad is misleading as it gives the weight of the Trek and the Turbo Level then says the HAL is somewhere in there...
I just received the 2023 29er model, 46cm frame. Weighs in at 56 pounds, everything stock

I bought the internal battery m600 29er version of this bike and thought I’d leave my impressions to help others make a purchasing decision.

I’m just under 6 feet and am kind of a tweener, feeling cramped on most medium frames without putting on a longer stem and moving the seat back so I got the 51cm and although it’s big, it fits me well and doesn’t feel big when riding it.

Assembly was straightforward except for the dropper, which others have noted. The cable was way to long, so I ended up cutting off a few inches. If your not handy this alone might make it worth having it done by a lbs. The battery wouldn’t click in after putting on the cover. I fixed this by shimming it with a couple washers on top of the stand offs on the end that faces the headset.

I’ve got a little less that 200 miles on it so far. I live in south west Pennsylvania which has lots of short steep hills and is often wet and muddy and I ride technical single track almost exclusively.

At first I was disappointed with the range, but I think that was due to riding in muddy conditions. As the trails dry out, range has improved quite a bit. I find The m600 to be pretty quiet. I ride without throttle in 1 with 9 power levels enabled. It’s the canbus controller, so it can’t be tuned like the uart version which isn’t ideal. I’d like to tone down the initial surge of power, which can be a bit much.

Reliability wise, both the deraulier and the hanger have come loose. If you have shifting issues, check both of these.

The front chain ring is already showing some wear and there is a tiny amount of play in the rear suspension.

The battery occasionally un-clicks after big hits which is annoying. Still trying to figure out why. The release lever had become hard to move because it had gotten some grime in it and after cleaning it, the problem has become more frequent.

On my very first ride, the back tire started rubbing the speed sensor cable. I re-routed it on the outside of the rear triangle, which fixed the issue, but also reveled another annoyance which is that the motor won’t run unless the speed sensor is working. It’ll give power for a few feet and then display an error on the screen, so keeping a spare spoke magnet thingie handy is a good idea.

The in-frame charge port doesn’t work. I’ve checked all of the connections with a multimeter but nothing happens when the charger is plugged in. It might be the contacts, haven’t tried bd to see if they can send a replacement yet, I’ve just been removing the battery to charge.

Oh, another odd thing is the battery won’t charge when it’s cold. The charger light turns solid green until it warms up at which point it will charge.

Upgrades so far have been the pedals, replacing the RockShox forks with some Fox rhythm 36s which has been an all-around improvement. Also just got a 27.5 wheel set to try a mullet setup. Other than that, just some cheapo fenders.

Was it worth it? I think so. I find it to be plenty capable for what I ride and even with the upgrades I’m still under what I would have spent on big name brands.

How does it compare to x? No idea, my experience is limited to a 2010ish trek fuel conversion with a osf tsdz2 which is smoother and more natural. I’d guess that without the ability to tune it, the m600 won’t be competitive with other motors in terms of feel.

View attachment 151161
I just received mine as well, and have about 50 city miles on it so far. Similar experiences with installing the dropper, and also the in-frame charge port. I've found the charge port to be inconsistent: sometimes won't work, but if I unplug/replug things and try again, I have gotten it to work. My biggest frustration has been the battery unclicking while riding - in my case this has been fairly frequent and even on the smallest of hits. Duct tape it for a ride which helped but is clearly not the long-term solution. Curious, did you use the four tiny screws at all that came in a baggie? I tossed them aside and didn't really examine their purpose, but wondering back of my mind if they are meant to screw in the battery cover or something. That said, the battery cover doesn't connect to the frame, and it itself is not falling off the battery, so not sure if this would even help the unclicking issue...
Don't try to smack the battery back in while in motion btw, I've twice skinned my knuckles on the front tire while attempting this :)

I just received mine as well, and have about 50 city miles on it so far. Similar experiences with installing the dropper, and also the in-frame charge port. I've found the charge port to be inconsistent: sometimes won't work, but if I unplug/replug things and try again, I have gotten it to work. My biggest frustration has been the battery unclicking while riding - in my case this has been fairly frequent and even on the smallest of hits. Duct tape it for a ride which helped but is clearly not the long-term solution. Curious, did you use the four tiny screws at all that came in a baggie? I tossed them aside and didn't really examine their purpose, but wondering back of my mind if they are meant to screw in the battery cover or something. That said, the battery cover doesn't connect to the frame, and it itself is not falling off the battery, so not sure if this would even help the unclicking issue...
Don't try to smack the battery back in while in motion btw, I've twice skinned my knuckles on the front tire while attempting this :)
It’s probably worth mentioning that the manual seemed generic to a 70s era 10-speed and contained little, if any, useful information.

Yes, the four smaller self tapping screws fasten the cover to the battery, but after removing the cover today to check out the latching situation, I’d say there is plenty enough interference to hold the cover on without them.

The locking post engagement to the battery was pretty minimal, so I’m pretty sure the battery can jostle around and that’s what’s causing the un-clicking.

I glued some rubber from an old ultra heavy duty motorcycle tube (about 3mm thick) inside the recesses on the opposite side of the battery and didn’t have any un-clicks on my loop today where I usually get a couple, so hopefully that did the trick.

How do they get the Turbo Level in at 41 lbs?
The largest difference would be the battery and motor. The Turbo level is a class 1 bike (20 mph) with a 50% smaller battery, 50% reduced power (motor watts), more than 50% reduced torque relative to the Motobecane

The largest difference would be the battery and motor. The Turbo level is a class 1 bike (20 mph) with a 50% smaller battery, 50% reduced power (motor watts), more than 50% reduced torque relative to the Motobecane
I noticed the Motobecane has a throttle option. Did you get yours w a throttle?

"Oh, another odd thing is the battery won’t charge when it’s cold. The charger light turns solid green until it warms up at which point it will charge."

As I understand it, you should always wait until the battery reaches room temperature to recharge. Maybe there's a temp sensor

"Oh, another odd thing is the battery won’t charge when it’s cold. The charger light turns solid green until it warms up at which point it will charge."

As I understand it, you should always wait until the battery reaches room temperature to recharge. Maybe there's a temp sensor
Yes, it appears to be the case.

A couple of updates. Battery unclicked again so I added another layer of rubber in the recesses:
6EEF8582-2C55-4AE0-8700-5A18FA98008A.jpeg

It’s 2mm thick, so 4mm seems to make it pretty snug. The upper recess seems to be the one that matters most. Hopefully it’s a done deal now.

I mentioned I already had some play in the shock linkage. The lower fastener was showing signs of wear and felt like it wasn’t very high quality, so I replaced it with a stainless should bolt from McMaster-Carr:
06C7BF4C-20B8-40AB-95B9-D076D8270C9B.jpeg

Still a teeny tiny amount of play, but much better than before, hopefully it holds up.

Back