The FLX Blade - Solid FUN!

jasonatepaint

I recently purchased the FLX Blade and couldn't be happier. I got in touch with FLX and Rob, one of the founders, called me back immediately and answered my questions and confirmed that the bike was in stock and ready to ship. I made the purchase on a Thursday and had the bike the following Tuesday morning.

This is the third eBike in my personal fleet. The others are an Easy Motion Evo Cross 48v 500w hub and a Juiced OceanCurrent 48v hub, so I was excited to transition into a mid-drive system. All of the specs listed on the website were 100% accurate. It was packaged and secured perfectly in a box (inside another box) with padding and other instruments to make sure no component on the bike could be damaged in shipping. Following the youtube video for assembling the bike, I had it put together in less than 30 minutes.

This bike is fast. It is scary-fun fast. I mostly ride in eco mode as I'm trying to actually get a workout when I bike, but man... when you put it in SPORT mode and set it to assist-level 5, it's insane. I put on Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires on it for a smoother ride in town... they're great for the road and the hike/bike trails.

I've put on about a 130 miles on it so far and it's been an amazing time! I am in bike-love. Austin is pretty hilly and the Blade just tears it up and is so much more battery-efficient when it comes to drivetrain power. Something that would eat 20% or more battery on the hubs, takes a 1-2% hit to the battery on the same given path. That's not a scientific study, just an observation of riding the same paths everyday.

If you're questioning or considering the Blade, feel free to reach out and I'll give my honest answers to your questions. I'm not affiliated with any eBike company... just became a fan of FLX with this purchase. :)

IMG_4076.JPG

Last edited:
I really want to get one of these but the thing I'm worried the most about is the frame size being 19". Being 6'6" with a 34" in-seam, this seems to be too small of a bike.

Yeah, that's a tough call. My last bike was 19". I test rode a larger 21" on my last bike and they both felt OK. The 21" was more roomy, but I guess at 6'1", it didn't feel necessary and I could compensate w/taller seat post and stem extension...

My guess as to why there is only 1 frame size is less quality control issues with manufacturing.

Yeah, that's a tough call. My last bike was 19". I test rode a larger 21" on my last bike and they both felt OK. The 21" was more roomy, but I guess at 6'1", it didn't feel necessary and I could compensate w/taller seat post and stem extension...

My guess as to why there is only 1 frame size is less quality control issues with manufacturing.
My guess is a better wholesale price for just 1 frame size. Better price on quantity.

I'm confused? Then why did you say "My guess as to why there is only 1 frame size is less quality control issues with manufacturing"?

Don't get confused so easily.... I was being nice and just moving the conversation along... I'm here to talk about the bike, not win internet fights.

So here's a fun and related story about my new Blade...

I met a friend for lunch, down on the drag near UT, last week. While unlocking my bike afterwards, I had 2 construction guys come up to me to let me know that they were approached by a guy asking to borrow their bolt cutters so he could unlock his bike. They walked out to look at the bike and told me they looked at each other and said, "Yeah... no, we can't help you.". They continued, "And then he walked across the street to the other construction site and asked a foreman there. The foreman walked to the corner of the street and we could see him shaking his head 'no'".

The freakin' balls on people man. I wasn't shocked... I was in the university area after all. But it bummed me out that someone could reconcile the idea of just taking something they don't own.

Nothing's full-proof, I just try to slow 'em down. I use an ABUS 6500 folding lock around the body and a disc-lock around the back rotor.... again, just to slow 'em down. Oh, and an escalating obnoxious vibration/movement alarm that activates when it loses the bluetooth connection with my phone. Failing all of that, it's insured... because sometimes, people can suck sometimes. :)

Oh, and an escalating obnoxious vibration/movement alarm that activates

May I know what alarm this is. One of them I tried (bought on eBay) didn't work so well!

Downtown Chicago has very high bike theft problem and I was told that bike thieves walk around looking like a construction worker (high vis yellow jacket, helmet) and look for expensive looking bikes. Considering that Chicago has only 2 seasons (winter and construction), I am looking for a reliable alarm for my bikes.

May I know what alarm this is. One of them I tried (bought on eBay) didn't work so well!

Well, it's a bit more than an alarm... and a bit overpriced, but it was a gift so it's working out well. It's the Smart Halo that does other stuff like navigation indication, light, etc... but for me, the best thing is the alarm because I don't have to remember to arm it. As soon as the BT connection drops, it's active. It warns users by flashing red and making a weird "moan" sound... it escalates.. so if you bump/move it more the red ring get's larger and then activates the alarm. So simple bumps/etc won't set it off scaring innocent clumsy people. :)

Considering that Chicago has only 2 seasons (winter and construction), I am looking for a reliable alarm for my bikes.

HAHAHAHA I love it. I lived there back in 2001 for a year (1 W. Superior St) for work.... Love that city!

edit: spelling

Within a half-mile walk of my office there's one of those climate-controlled 24-hour access self-storage buildings. Should I ever be prohibited from keeping my bike in my cubicle I've decided to rent a space just large enough to accommodate my bike. After a former co-worker got his chain-locked Specialized bike stolen from the front of our office, there's just no way I'm going to take that chance and leave it outside. To those that have the balls to do that, I salute you.

Have you watched Casey Neistat's video of stealing his own bike and how nobody gave a damn, even across the street from the Police station? Finally, only when he was using a grinder next to a crowded subway entrance in Union Square did the cops finally notice.

Yeah
Have you watched Casey Neistat's video of stealing his own bike and how nobody gave a damn, even across the street from the Police station?

Yeah! Insane. Maybe I'll bolt a sign to the bike that says, "I have plenty of keys at home! Report me to the police if I'm cutting my lock" ;)

There is a youtube video (if I find it I will post the link) of guys tying fishing line on their bikes. It is unnoticable. They set up a hidden camera and when thieves start riding the wheels lock up and the thief hits the pavement.

Jasonatepaint. Would the 19 inch frame be ok for someone 5”7” or a little shorter? I have a nice bicycle with a straight top tube and that bike is just a little big. It is great for riding and cruising but not so good for slow tight turning or lots of stop and go riding in traffic (cars, pedestrians, bike).

Also the bafang ultra is the first bafang with torque sesing PAS. How is it? How does it compare to your hub drive PAS? Are you able to compare it with a high end Bosch mid-drive PAS?

Last edited:
(Continued) It is a great looking bike. Any components you wish were different or want to upgrade? I think the SRAM EX-1 is a solid match. You happy with the front suspension?

So here's a fun and related story about my new Blade...

I met a friend for lunch, down on the drag near UT, last week. While unlocking my bike afterwards, I had 2 construction guys come up to me to let me know that they were approached by a guy asking to borrow their bolt cutters so he could unlock his bike. They walked out to look at the bike and told me they looked at each other and said, "Yeah... no, we can't help you.". They continued, "And then he walked across the street to the other construction site and asked a foreman there. The foreman walked to the corner of the street and we could see him shaking his head 'no'".

The freakin' balls on people man. I wasn't shocked... I was in the university area after all. But it bummed me out that someone could reconcile the idea of just taking something they don't own.

Nothing's full-proof, I just try to slow 'em down. I use an ABUS 6500 folding lock around the body and a disc-lock around the back rotor.... again, just to slow 'em down. Oh, and an escalating obnoxious vibration/movement alarm that activates when it loses the bluetooth connection with my phone. Failing all of that, it's insured... because sometimes, people can suck sometimes. :)
You sound like me. Just blown away and disappointed that some scum human beings can be so low and still things that don't belong to them. I know it's completely naïve, but I don't understand how people can be brought up this way.

(Continued) It is a great looking bike. Any components you wish were different or want to upgrade? I think the SRAM EX-1 is a solid match. You happy with the front suspension?

We talked thru private message, but figured I'd answer here too for others. I find the SRAM EX-1 to be a great setup. I wasn't sure at first and was convinced I'd be putting on a bigger chainring for faster speeds, but the stock setup is perfect. In 8th gear, the pedal cadence is perfect and when cranked up to 5 in sport-mode, you move OUT! :)

The front suspension feels good/responsive. I'm not doing a ton of mountain biking, but it's served really well conquering the streets/trails.

I recently purchased the FLX Blade and couldn't be happier. I got in touch with FLX and Rob, one of the founders, called me back immediately and answered my questions and confirmed that the bike was in stock and ready to ship. I made the purchase on a Thursday and had the bike the following Tuesday morning.

This is the third eBike in my personal fleet. The others are an Easy Motion Evo Cross 48v 500w hub and a Juiced OceanCurrent 48v hub, so I was excited to transition into a mid-drive system. All of the specs listed on the website were 100% accurate. It was packaged and secured perfectly in a box (inside another box) with padding and other instruments to make sure no component on the bike could be damaged in shipping. Following the youtube video for assembling the bike, I had it put together in less than 30 minutes.

This bike is fast. It is scary-fun fast. I mostly ride in eco mode as I'm trying to actually get a workout when I bike, but man... when you put it in SPORT mode and set it to assist-level 5, it's insane. I put on Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires on it for a smoother ride in town... they're great for the road and the hike/bike trails.

I've put on about a 130 miles on it so far and it's been an amazing time! I am in bike-love. Austin is pretty hilly and the Blade just tears it up and is so much more battery-efficient when it comes to drivetrain power. Something that would eat 20% or more battery on the hubs, takes a 1-2% hit to the battery on the same given path. That's not a scientific study, just an observation of riding the same paths everyday.

If you're questioning or considering the Blade, feel free to reach out and I'll give my honest answers to your questions. I'm not affiliated with any eBike company... just became a fan of FLX with this purchase. :)

View attachment 22766
How's it been with the blade what speeds are you normally seeing and what type of ranges. And how did you affix the kickstand lol

It's been great so far. I tend to keep it in eco-mode #1 so I get some exercise.... but throw it into Sport mode #5 and it's insane.... I can do 30 w/o any effort and with effort mid 30's.... On a flat into a downhill you can get it up to 45 with shear terror attached. ;-)

Thanks for your review. I may just order one - but hard tail concerns me; do you have a seat post suspension? Considering thudbuster or bodyfloat. Other concern is the weight - I believe it is 58lbs with battery - a monster to lift onto bike rack!
Also it would be great if you posted all the mods you have - some thingy under horizontal bar, bottle cage, phone holder, lights etc.
thanks again!

Back