The Experience of a Bicycle

OK, I'm starting to feel unwelcome on here. Why do men have to ruin things?
Were this my previous work place your uncomfortableness would be noted and the unwelcome posters/employees would be put on notice. But its a public forum and not so long ago a comment i made was taken out of context and i was chided. I suggest given the fact that with all these thousands of posts very few can be classed as sexist and certainly not intended to insult you, a valued contributor. That said I chose to not comment and just ignore. I do get it but then I’m a potty mouth.

And it is true that a pun only exists between a reader's ears, and nothing was seen that would be banished from CVS or Walgreens. Also the same pun made in private between girl friends would be just as entertaining. I have no malice.
Thanks for the pun, I had similar thoughts when I first read what you were punning about.

Is EBR being taken over by puritans?

Sometimes you ought to make some allowances about how others might feel, though?
Sounds like an argument for cancel culture

Every joke has a victim...thats the definition of a joke

Has anyone considered my feelings in this thread. I have suffered from kanayaphobia since a child :cool:

kanayaphobia
Kanayaphobia is the fear of chainsaws. OMG! I am sorry. We have been going on about them and had no idea of your feelings.
I have had dyslexia since childhood and wonder why it is so hard to spell. Couldn't they do it phonetically? I just finished a 750W torque sensor bike. The idea was to make a Como 5 that is more powerful, opensource, and low cost to maintain. The battery is charging so it is not in the photo. Yesterday this bike was a $750 regular new Giant.
1669153933747.jpeg

Como 5 SL
1669154091627.jpeg

Sounds like an argument for cancel culture

Every joke has a victim...thats the definition of a joke

Has anyone considered my feelings in this thread. I have suffered from kanayaphobia since a child :cool:

It’s not cancel culture. If someone is offended, they should be able to express that without being dismissed. We all have our own limits regarding acceptable behavior. Many or all of us have probably made comments that have offended others while just trying to make a joke. I know that I have. That doesn’t mean that someone shouldn’t be offended.

Saying I’m sorry that I offended you, if sincere, is a good first step. Dismissing someone’s feelings isn’t helpful. I’m with @Mr. Coffee on this one.

Last edited:
It’s not cancel culture. If someone is offended, they should be able to express that without being dismissed. We all have our own limits regarding acceptable behavior. Many or all of us have probably made comments that have offended others while just trying to make a joke. I know that I have. That doesn’t mean that someone shouldn’t be offended.

Saying I’m sorry that I offended you, if sincere, is a good first step. Dismissing someone’s feelings isn’t helpful. I’m with @Mr. Coffee on this one.
Okay, I am sorry if I offended anyone. And I cannot be held responsible for what goes on between some other adults' ears. And I want to live in a world where people can have humor. And laugh at themselves too. And no offence was intended. In FL a guy shot another guy because his music made him feel fearful. I don't want to live in that sort of world, tiptoeing around how others might feel and what might trigger them. It would be like kid's with an abusive household not knowing might trigger a parent.

The talented comedian’s paradox…pushing boundaries, edges…and sometimes going too far and shocking the conscience whatever that means now days. Intent is what matters…is it mean…hateful…or careless bad taste. Dave Chappell on SNL recently, the persecuted Lenny Bruce, George Carlin…and some disastrous meltdowns of lessors which esCape me

Okay, I am sorry if I offended anyone. And I cannot be held responsible for what goes on between some other adults' ears. And I want to live in a world where people can have humor. And laugh at themselves too. And no offence was intended. In FL a guy shot another guy because his music made him feel fearful. I don't want to live in that sort of world, tiptoeing around how others might feel and what might trigger them. It would be like kid's with an abusive household not knowing might trigger a parent.

I don’t want us to walk on eggshells either. I wasn’t offended by the post.

The thing that I was bothered by was that a person was dismissing another person’s feelings.

A person has every right to feel offended without their feelings being dismissed as cancel culture. That was what I was responding to. I don’t think that the “offensive” post was mean spirited or intended to be offensive. People deserve better than to have their feelings dismissed was my point.

Last edited:
I think in an online community the point often has to be not about free speech or the ability to say out loud any thought that comes into your head, rather it should be about keeping peace in the family.

So the easiest and simplest way to deal with these situations is to just sincerely apologize when you have offended someone. And that should be the end of it. Making it about "cancel culture" (a term I warmly despise) doesn't help or pointing fingers doesn't help either.

Also about "cancel culture" -- while the right wails about this, the very best example that comes to mind is what happened to the Dixie Chicks almost twenty years ago, which if any of you are historians you might recall was promulgated by right-wingers.

Last edited:
I think in an online community the point often has to be not about free speech or the ability to say out loud any thought that comes into your head, rather it should be about keeping peace in the family.

So the easiest and simplest way to deal with these situations is to just sincerely apologize when you have offended someone. And that should be the end of it. Making it about "cancel culture" (a term I warmly despise) doesn't help or pointing fingers doesn't help either.

Also about "cancel culture" -- while the right wails about this, the very best example that comes to mind is what happened to the Dixie Chicks almost twenty years ago, which if any of you are historians you might recall was promulgated by right-wingers.
My thought is to try and think of a forum as a large room where we are all at a party in person.
Act and speak as if you were face to face, or had the open mic and were willing to take whatever reaction there was face to face.

the Dixie Chicks
If I recall it was a little longer ago than that. In the Summer of 2001 they released an all Bluegrass CD. It was the only country album I ever purchased. It had all top musicians unplugged, sounded live without overdubs or retakes. Colin Powel lied about WMD and the Dixie Chicks were later proven right in coming out against an invasion of Iraq. That mess went on for 20 years. We only got out of Afghanistan last year. The Right smashed their records and they were blacklisted from country radio.
1669164688791.jpeg
1669164721521.jpeg

I don’t want us to walk on eggshells either. I wasn’t offended by the post.

The thing that I was bothered by was that a person was dismissing another person’s feelings.

A person has every right to feel offended without their feelings being dismissed as cancel culture. That was what I was responding to. I don’t think that the “offensive” post was mean spirited or intended to be offensive. People deserve better than to have their feelings dismissed was my point.
If you go back and read what I was responding to with the 'cancel culture' statement, it wasnt to the person claiming their feelings were not being considered but to someone saying I should consider 'everyones feeling when stating anything' That is an impossible thing to achieve.

Assuming my attempt is 'dismissing' sounds like something being projected

People say things I dont like all the time, I move on. I seriously doubt anyone cares about my feelings except Pedaluma for understanding my fear of chainsaws.

I have a dry sarcastic sense of humor and I dont feel the need to apologize for it, if I offend you, there is an ignore capability.

Back