The ethics of E-bikes. Interesting article, worth reading.

Pretty simple in my case. The e-bike makes commuting to work by bike possible. Maybe I could do it on a regular bike but I'm not confident in that. With the e-bike, I have more confidence in my commute, I leave the car at home, I still get exercise, I've dropped one inch off my waistline since Feb .... lots of wins there. I dread winter coming when its back to car commuting most days.

Over50 where do you live? I think lots of people commute through winter, even in really cold places like Winnipeg. Granted, it's not pleasant and though I'll commute through the winter where I live I'll admit it's pretty mild here in the winter.

Author was complaining about riding 1.3 miles and climbing 112 while towing his kid in a trailer and he considers himself a supremely fit and expert cyclist? Give me a huge break. He says move the decimal point over one for towing, uh no it's not that much of a difference and even if you did riding 13 miles and 1,120 feet is not much of a feat. I'm sorry, but a supremely fit cyclist would not bat an eye at that ride. I'm not a supremely fit cyclist and I'd do that no problem. My friends who race Cat 3 might not even be considered supremely fit cyclists and they'll ride 11 km's to work, after work ride 25 km to get to their race, then race about 35 km's and then ride another 20 km's to get home. You better believe racing is way harder than towing the kid in the trailer at moderate speed.

What a wanker the author is, and one who way, way, way overestimates his own ability.

The logic flies in the face of what local government and conservation groups missions are. To get more people on the trails, out in nature with their family and friends. The argument always ends with a bias exclusive of - the trails are meant for those who are fit enough to have them. Those who aren't fit, who would benefit from being in nature aren't welcome.

Over50 where do you live? I think lots of people commute through winter, even in really cold places like Winnipeg. Granted, it's not pleasant and though I'll commute through the winter where I live I'll admit it's pretty mild here in the winter.
I'm in Michigan in the Detroit area. I'm good commuting in anything over about 35F as long as the streets don't have ice. At least for my liking, my commute is a bit too long for below freezing commutes (33-35 miles).

“The route is a grueling 1.3 miles with 112 punishing feet of climbing.”

:eek::eek::eek:

OMG, DID HE SURVIVE!?!?

Guys, look at the name of the blog: "BIKE SNOB"

He is just living up to his own billing.

Also, I have ridden a bike in New York City, and yes it is hilly in some places, and has some bike lanes, but not everywhere. He's also riding with a kid! A real, squirmy, looking around, throwing stuff kid. Riding with kids adds a big chunk of nerve-racking to any ride, especially in New York, where bike messengers and delivery guys have made bike riders a hated class. "grueling" may be a bit melodramatic, but don't judge until you've had a four year old try to grab the mirror of big truck as you struggle along.

Ethics of ebikes? Obey traffic laws, since we can afford to scrub off that precious momentum to stop at stop lights. I do that anyway.

This article is written by Bike Snob NYC. If you aren’t familiar his work is full of sarcasm and almost nobody is spared his tongue-in-cheek criticism. Even with all of his snark he seems to concede that e-bikes have their place.

Back