Tern elink D7i

Chainlink

just wanted to plug in the Tern elink D7i since I haven’t read any reviews or posts for this folding ebike.
It’s sort of the smaller version of their Vektron in that the battery is smaller, it has normal brakes as opposed to disc brakes but it has an awesome price point and a sweet ride. I already have a Brompton but got tired of waiting for their ebike to be released in the US. Also, since I have so many Brompton bags, I was able to have a friend retrofit the luggage block and mount it on the Tern. See the 3rd photo.
YMMV. 59B52B91-B13B-40F0-90F1-AEDF30EA3C0A.jpeg41125321-7332-404E-A0F4-B0162F6EF07B.jpeg54048767-6668-4BAC-B222-C68BC9B2EFD2.jpeg

hi chainlink - thanks for posting about the elink D7i!

i've been looking for a review on this bike for months but i haven't found any (sans yours, of course).

if it's not too much trouble, would you mind answering a couple questions about this bike?

- how would you rate its' power to take you up steep inclines? does it take in stride hills that were difficult for you with the brompton?
- the route i am considering, if i get an electric bike includes hills and is 20 mi one way (40 mi/day, 800 mi/month). does this bike seem strong and tough enough to endure that in all seasons?

thank you so much for your time, in advance!

Hi hachster, glad you liked my plug!
Where I ride on my commute, the hills - which are bridges, are not that bad but the elink makes it effortless for me especially in comparison to my Brompton. See if you can try before you buy if hills are a concern. It’s a small motor so you’re probably not going to break speed records on this!
As for distance, as long as you can plug it in to charge it, 40 mi/day shouldn’t be an issue but I’m not a mechanic or retailer. I stopped riding when the temp dropped below 20º F and it was working fine. I do keep it indoors when I’m not riding though.
What’s crazy is that this is a bike that I consider a perfect commuter for the cost, and seriously, no one talks about it. Love the internal gears, love the mid-drive, and love that it does NOT have disc brakes lol.
Best of luck to you and let me know what you end up deciding.

Chainlink, thanks so much for this. I am in exact same boat as you. Brompton loyalist, but need an Ebike for commuting. Curious how hard it was for your friend to add the Brompton block on the front. Would love to get away with using my multiple Brompton bags as well. I like the looks of Vektron better, but is heavy, and expensive. Saw this one online for $1500, which seems much more palatable.

Hi Foldableflyer,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
What my friend did was router out the back of the block so it would fit with a bit of a curve. Since it's a plastic mold it wasn't too much trouble for him. He bought thicker bolts that fit into the tern but unfortunately I don't remember the size. Here's the tricky part, he had a depth gauge that let him know how long the bolt should be before it interferes with the steering. He also had to realign the aluminum bracket and the bromptom block to match the holes on the tern. He ended up using a new aluminum plate.
I got the idea for retrofitting the bromptom block by googling it and seeing comments on bikeforum.net then I asked him if this was something he would do for me. He made it sound easy because he has every tool under the sun as well as access to a machine shop. My take from many of the comments on the forum is that many people tinker with it and make it work. Check out the forums!

This e bike strikes me as one of the better designed entry level folding e bikes I have seen. Great pricing to get the good mid drive and internal hub gearing along with some other great features and the Tern reputation, to boot. For those who were wistful about a review, here is a very good one that is quite comprehensive and seems to be done very fairly and objectively.

Hi Foldableflyer,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
What my friend did was router out the back of the block so it would fit with a bit of a curve. Since it's a plastic mold it wasn't too much trouble for him. He bought thicker bolts that fit into the tern but unfortunately I don't remember the size. Here's the tricky part, he had a depth gauge that let him know how long the bolt should be before it interferes with the steering. He also had to realign the aluminum bracket and the bromptom block to match the holes on the tern. He ended up using a new aluminum plate.
I got the idea for retrofitting the bromptom block by googling it and seeing comments on bikeforum.net then I asked him if this was something he would do for me. He made it sound easy because he has every tool under the sun as well as access to a machine shop. My take from many of the comments on the forum is that many people tinker with it and make it work. Check out the forums!

Thanks for the follow-up Chainlink. This is helpful.

Hi Chainlink!

Just wanted to check in to let you know that I still haven't made a decision regarding the bike. Haven't tested the eLink, but I did try the Vektron and some full size ebikes. My impression of the Vektron was that it was nice....but a full size 28 speed pedelec was nicer. Hahaha. I'm weighing a few different options but I probably won't make a decision for a couple months at least.

But thanks again for your review! I hope you have a lot of fun with the bike!

i've been looking for a review on this bike for months but i haven't found any (sans yours, of course).

if it's not too much trouble, would you mind answering a couple questions about this bike?

- how would you rate its' power to take you up steep inclines? does it take in stride hills that were difficult for you with the brompton?
- the route i am considering, if i get an electric bike includes hills and is 20 mi one way (40 mi/day, 800 mi/month). does this bike seem strong and tough enough to endure that in all seasons?

I'm 200lbs. and it goes up steep hills while seated. Dont need a Bosch. I have never felt it inadequate. I feel empowered to go anywhere. I'm losing weight so, I can go faster.

I'm 200lbs. and it goes up steep hills while seated. Dont need a Bosch. I have never felt it inadequate. I feel empowered to go anywhere. I'm losing weight so, I can go faster.

I'm 210lbs. and my D7i goes up steep hills, too.

I'm losing weight on the Keto diet. Its basically 20-50 grams max. per day. I try for 20 gr. per day by knowledge and reading labels before buying and eating meat. I avoid red meat 6 days a week.

I have a throttle for cruising when tired.

The reason for owning a heavy small ebike is ruggedness that the light 18lb., 20" tired folding street bikes like Allen's dont provide. One pays for lightweight and stuck to good streets.

Problems are twice connectors came apart, one needing solder.

This is one heavy bike that men only should carry.

Another problem is connecting and disconnecting the rear wheel electrics. Its not a simple push on system. Theres an unintelligible written procedure so, I had the shop change the rear tire. And I'm mechanically inclined. Its scary fuzzily arbitrary.

just wanted to plug in the Tern elink D7i since I haven’t read any reviews or posts for this folding ebike.
It’s sort of the smaller version of their Vektron in that the battery is smaller, it has normal brakes as opposed to disc brakes but it has an awesome price point and a sweet ride. I already have a Brompton but got tired of waiting for their ebike to be released in the US. Also, since I have so many Brompton bags, I was able to have a friend retrofit the luggage block and mount it on the Tern. See the 3rd photo.
YMMV. View attachment 18969View attachment 18970View attachment 18971

My D7i lost power two times. Two connectors separated at separate times and one had to be soldered. I suggest checking the wires occasionally.

My D7i lost power two times. Two connectors separated at separate times and one had to be soldered. I suggest checking the wires occasionally.
The Tern GSD Cargo Hold rack bag is 5.7 lbs.
The Tern foldup single side saddlebag is much lighter and compact when folded.

Distance ratings are estimates based on average rider weight, flat terrain, no wind or no obstructions like cross streets and lights and not using the boost level.

My normal ride is with everything opposite listed. Your return ride may be different or harder, using more battery. Be careful, if you have more hills on return. Know your terrain, if using the all the battery power or take your charger, if staying somewhere a couple of hours.

For a commute, definitely take your charger for safety. Another choice is buy another battery. Always inflate tires. Remember, the bike doesnt have regenerative brakes and they cannot add it. I have a throttle. but sacrificed the lights.

I weigh 200 lbs and can go 12 miles one way. I dont commute. Thats with trying to ride 10mph and use power level 2 or 3 only if necessary when touring. Its very boring at 5-10 mph. If short shopping trips, I use Boost power level 3 all the way at 18-20 mph.

My 5th speed is skipping a gear tooth so, the tech said to change the internal hub.

I still cant remove the rear wheel.

Back