Tannus Inserts

High Desert

Region
USA
City
Redmond, Or
I just had Tennis inserts installed in my front and rear tires on my e-bike. I really have to admit that there is quite a bit of difference in the standard tire ride and the Tanks insert ride, Surprisingly, the overall ride is smoother and not getting jostled about a much with just the basic tire and tube. Is it worth the $90 USD, well, I have t say yes. I took the bike for a ride this morning and noticed the following; It was quite, the ride was smoother, and handling was quite good. Overall, quite pleased with the end result.

been riding then on my mid drive fat bike since last fall. I like them. No flats, running at low pressure. Seem pretty solid.

I used to love tannus but have lost enthusiasm.

Over time the foam will compress - I'd suggest you take a look somewhere between 6 and 12 months from now. The compressed foam makes that " dead" feeling even worse - I used to describe it like having 1 click too much dampening on suspension but it creeps up over time. The tyre also suffers - the casing rubs against that non compliant compressed rubber and little balls of rubber develop ( this was a 2 yo tyre , and I guess 2 years of mtb use is pretty impressive )

You loose a LOT of efficiency - try riding the same bike with / without tannus but with the motor turned off!. I feel guilty because I had used tannus on the kids mtb's for a yearbefore realising just how much harder they were working uphill!

They are still a great puncture prevention option - I've left the tannus in our transport ebike because the puncture prevention is worth accepting that loss of feel. The rest of the fleet has returned to tubeless.

I hear you. I am not using them in my Luna MTB. I ride that more carefully than I ride my fat tire beast. Ultimately tubeless is the way to go.

Last edited:
I just had Tennis inserts installed in my front and rear tires on my e-bike. I really have to admit that there is quite a bit of difference in the standard tire ride and the Tanks insert ride, Surprisingly, the overall ride is smoother and not getting jostled about a much with just the basic tire and tube. Is it worth the $90 USD, well, I have t say yes. I took the bike for a ride this morning and noticed the following; It was quite, the ride was smoother, and handling was quite good. Overall, quite pleased with the end result.
I have been using the Tannus liners for 3 seasons on two of my bikes now and have had no issues. I did notice the ride was a bit harsher but I compensated by dropping the tire pressure from 60# down to 45#. I think the results you get will vary with the size & type of tires used. Mine are Schwalbe Marathon+, 26 x 2.25's.

My only complaint is, they can be a bear to install.

Back