Tannus Armour Insert Tubeless on OEM Vado 5.0 rims?

GuruUno

Can these be used on the factory-supplied, OEM rims that are the stock rims on 2022 Vado and Como e-bikes?
(I guess what I am asking is if they can be made "tubeless" or do new tubeless capable rims need to be purchased).
See:

I have not used Tannus Armour Inerts but I've used the similar Cushcore and Vittoria air liners. They will help a tubeless tire work better at low pressures and protect the rim from rock hits but I don't think they will make a rim "tubeless" by themselves and the Tannus web site mentions tubeless ready rims. I was using inserts to help a keep a gravel/road tire on a tubeless rim that was giving me trouble. It was much better but it eventually popped off on a hot day. I had not kept up on the sealant maintenance and let the insert stick to the tire. The sealant should have been cleaned and replaced many months before the ride. I am not currently using inserts and I've changed the rim / tire combo that seems to be better and with a sealant maintenance schedule.

There is this post but it's too dense for me to read:

Nowhere is it stated: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-5-0/p/206151?color=348417-206151

WHEELS​

Rims
650b disc, double-wall alloy, pinned, 32h
Rear Hub
Alloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 32h
Spokes
DT Swiss Industry
Rear Tire
Pathfinder Sport Reflect, 650Bx2.3
Front Tire
Front Hub
Specialized alloy front hub disc, sealed cardridge bearings, 6-bolt, 15x110mm thru-axle, 32h
Inner Tubes
Standard 40mm SV 650Bx1.75-2.4

Nowhere is it stated: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-5-0/p/206151?color=348417-206151

WHEELS​

Rims
650b disc, double-wall alloy, pinned, 32h
Rear Hub
Alloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 32h
Spokes
DT Swiss Industry
Rear Tire
Front Tire
Front Hub
Specialized alloy front hub disc, sealed cardridge bearings, 6-bolt, 15x110mm thru-axle, 32h
Inner Tubes
Standard 40mm SV 650Bx1.75-2.4
ya maybe they are not. but I would be surprised if they were not. the main difference is the rim lip is a little taller and usually has a hook.

Thanks, I'll ask the LBS...but if not mistaken, I think they already said no, but it was some time ago, I'll have to ask again. Maybe Stefan knows...

Thanks, I'll ask the LBS...but if not mistaken, I think they already said no, but it was some time ago, I'll have to ask again. Maybe Stefan knows...
if they have a label it may say but maybe not either, people do it with regular rims but it is a risk.

The support page has info for converting 2022 Vado's to tubeless with additional instructions due to the rim valve hole that seems to be sized for a Schrader valve:

Assuming you are new to experimenting with tubeless, make sure it is not near anything that household management might be annoyed if it's covered in splattered sticky sealant or wearing your favorite pants or hairy legs.

Back