Swap Como 4.0 48T chainring with Vado 4.0 40T chainring

And of course they have colour matching BOLTS, I presume? :D
Not shure about matching blue, check:

@TS25: Of course, they have the bolts, too!

Please tell me: There is extremely tight clearance between the motor chamber and the ring. Isn't it some trouble? Perhaps that's the reason Specialized chainring has threaded holes to avoid using the sleeve?
P.S. Any torque specs available?

Please tell me: There is extremely tight clearance between the motor chamber and the ring. Isn't it some trouble? Perhaps that's the reason Specialized chainring has threaded holes to avoid using the sleeve?
No problem at all in using the 2-piece-chainringbolts, there is a lot of space.

I can't remember the torque specs presently but think I've used the usual ones for "allen 5 / M8". And Loctite blue.
Aluminium = class 5.6 = 11-12 Nm:

Last edited:
I can't remember the torque specs presently but think I've used the usual ones for "allen 5 / M8". And Loctite blue.
Aluminium = class 5.6 = 11-12 Nm:

Parktool general guideline calls up 44-88 inch-pound for aluminium chainring bolts, that equals 5-10 Nm
(Parktool: 70-124 inch-pounds for steel bolts).

5 Nm seem too low to me but you should be fine with 9-10 Nm.
You could fasten the chainring bolts with cable ties in addition as a security against loss in the beginning until you're shure. Some say you don't need Loctite when you have the correct Nm applied.

Last edited:
Stefan, this ARTICLE links to a Shimano manual that quotes large MTB chain ring torque specs of 14-16 Nm.
Here is the link to a new version of that general Shimano document DM-GN0001-24.ENG:
but on page 141 ff. the hints are for Shimano double or triple chainwheel sets only.

No hints for single setups like Vado and Como have. No differentiation between aluminium or steel chainring bolts.

But I suppose the Shimano hints are for steel chainring bolts.

Guys, I will make you shocked. Since the User Manuals seem to have disappeared from Specialized Website, I found mine, paper version. Guess what torque is needed to tighten the Specialized aluminium chainring bolt? 9.8 Nm :)

Guys, I will make you shocked. Since the User Manuals seem to have disappeared from Specialized Website, I found mine, paper version. Guess what torque is needed to tighten the Specialized aluminium chainring bolt? 9.8 Nm :)
Good find! I'm adding that note to my torque spec sheet...😎

I don't know if this will be of any interest?

Attachments

• Turbo Vado Como Torque Settings.jpg
    Turbo Vado Como Torque Settings.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 318
For anybody interested with Specialized chainring replacement:

If you need to replace the original chainring of Vado/Como, you better find and buy the original Praxis ring. It requires 5 minutes of easy work, a 5 mm hex wrench, a Phillips screwdriver, and threadlocker liquid.

While replacing the ring with Deckas or Garbaruk requires buying an extra bolt-set, a chainring nut wrench, and is a troublesome process that ultimately might involve drilling 4 holes if you intended to re-use the chainguard...

In summary, you used the same chain ring size and same chain length in new stock, yes?
Yes. Only the bike mechanic told me he used 128 chain links with the new chain instead of 126. He believed 126 links created unnecessary tension.

@Art Deco, it is hard to describe how well designed my Vado is for the purposes I bought it. For instance, I could not have any better brakes or lighting. The 48T/11-46T drive-train just rocks and it proved itself on mountain roads (not that extreme as experienced by Sierratim, true). The Electrak tyres are fast (and only not good off-road). And so on and so on. If I travel to the mountains again, that will be my Trance E+ anyway :)

Back