Suspension seat post on the cheap

DDBB

I just got my Santori Animaris suspension seat post today and rode about 20mi. with it. I had considered a thudbuster or a body float but I decided to take a chance on this "why pay more" version. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07113WT58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have to say I'm very surprised about the quality and effectiveness of this product on my trekking Haibike. I didn't expect much but it's a LOT better than the cheap zoom pogo stick seat post I had on it initially.

Attachments

• animaris.jpg
    animaris.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 450
Look very similar in design of a $350 Bodyfloat mixed with $100 Suntour NCX SP-12 for only $50. Looks like it only comes in 350mm (I needed 27.2mm/400mm for my Radrover in the NCX SP-12)?

Can't find specs on max weight for the rider on Santori Animaris website or Amazon? Any instruction manual with your purchase on max weight of rider for this seatpost? I'm 270 lbs with about an extra 20-25 lbs of cold weather riding gear and commuter backpack during this time of year.

Does this provide any offset? I have the pogo stick style suspension post, and have my seat as far back as the rails allow, but wish I could set it back another inch or so.

yes, it has offset, I'd guess it's 1.5".. It's way better than a pogo stick seat post.. No manual came with it. I'm 185 lbs. and have the spring set full soft and wish I could make it softer. I would guess at full stiff on the adjustable spring it would be good for 270 lbs. but I'm just guessing. At full soft on the spring I only have a tiny bit of sag and that's in full winter gear. It takes a very firm push down on my seat with both hands to get it to compress even when set full soft but it certainly compresses and works GREAT on the road and trails when you hit bumps. Now if I could only figure out exactly which stem riser I need to buy to raise my handlebars 2" I think I'll be done with the mods. edit:.. I see chiskmee posted the offset at 23mm. That's closer to 1" than 1.5"

mrgold: One of the reviews on amazon is from a 260lb. rider, he gave it 5 stars and did not adjust the spring, installed it the way it came right out of the box so I think it would work for you.

The design is quite similar to the Thudbusters I use on my bikes. At a third the cost, it looks like a "keeper. The only questions I have are how long will the spring last, will you be able to get replacements in the future and is it field replaceable if it breaks during a ride. The Thudbusters use elastomers which do wear out but never fail in a catastrophic manner.

The only problem I have with this design (Thudbuster included) is the rearward offset which occurs when the seat is compressed. It can interfere with cargo carried on the rear rack.

In any case, at $49, it certainly is worth a try.

Looks like it only comes in 350mm (I needed 27.2mm/400mm for my Radrover in the NCX SP-12)?

Usually, the length of a seatpost refers to the part that inserts into the seat tube and may not include the added length of the suspension mechanics. You might find this 350mm post to be equivalent to a 400mm post without suspension. I know this is the case with the Thudbuster but I can't say for sure it applies to this product. Perhaps Mrgold35 could post the actual length if he buys this product.

Does this provide any offset? I have the pogo stick style suspension post, and have my seat as far back as the rails allow, but wish I could set it back another inch or so.

I hear you Alan. I have had this problem with every bike I've owned. The design of this post looks very similar to the Thudbusters I use. They have around 1.5 inches of rearward offset. You need to be sure that won't interfere with anything you might carry on a rear rack though.

I purchased the 350mm Suntour NCX SP-12 back in 2016 along with the Cloud-9 12.5X11.5 Cruiser seat. I had the seatpost at max height and my right knee started to ache after a few days and I needed to rest it a day (no previous injury or issues with my right knee). Purchased another Suntour NCX SP-12 in the 400mm length and haven't had an issue since with my right knee after +2 years.

This seatpost look very similar in design to the Suntour with the center mounted spring. I would like to have the extra 2" of length with a 400mm seatpost just in case I run into the same issue like the Suntour.

I'm guessing the suntour ncx is higher quality and may have have more travel?.. No elastomer with the suntour? That's a plus as I don't think you can buy spare parts for the Santori. It appears well made though and I think it will last quite a long time

The Suntour was $109. on Amazon and $89. on Ebay. Mine came from a bike shop in Ca. and was new in the package. I highly recommend this one. I had to back the screw out all the way on mine as well to make the ride soft enough. I'm 175lb

Back