Suspension Fork for Hydra Fat Bike

Cuz Vinny

Trying to decide which fork to get for my Hydra Fat Bike. Both have 100 - 110 mm travel and both can fit a 26 X 4.8 tire. The Mastodon Pro is a little more expensive but they do have the Comp version which is about the same price as the Wren. Ultimately it may come down to which one I can actually find and purchase with this parts shortage epidemic going on. Hopefully this parts shortage ends soon so we can actually get the parts we want and not the ones we can find.

Interesting article comparing the two forks.

That article is really an aberration, virtually everybody who has used both that I know of prefers the Mastodon by a mile. It's suspicious this guy says he couldn't tell a difference when adjusting the compression dials--on both of mine, each click makes a very noticeable difference.

The Mastodon Pro is a little more expensive but ..............
I got a Mastodon Pro EXT @140mm but it hits the frame on full lock.
Gonna need a crown race spacer.

IMG_E7459small.jpg

Last edited:
I have been riding a Wren fork for the past 2 years and coming from a Bluto I can say I like the ride better. No experience with the Mastadon.
Having the inverted front fork is a definite advantage as far as the ability to swap out front tires if you want to.
Looking at the Mastadon info it doesn't look like it can fit a 29" tire. That would be a deal breaker for me. Wren also makes a 150mm travel model that is the one I am presently riding on my Exess E-180 that I got from Pushkar a year ago. I have never had a tire strike against the frame while riding and I'm running a 29'er on the front. Having that extra 50mm of travel has saved me from going over the bars a few times too.
I used to have a hardtail fat bike with 26" x 4" tires with a 135mm hub and the 100mm Wren worked great on that as well.
If the geometry is right on the Hydra go with the longer travel model it works great for single track and I rarely do much downhill so it's a good overall fit for my riding style.
As far as assistance goes Kevin the owner is hands and responds quickly and if it's a technical issue you will go through a guy named Russ back east and he's knowledgeable on all aspects of the fork service or maintenance problems.

Last edited:
I have been riding a Wren fork for the past 2 years and coming from a Bluto I can say I like the ride better. No experience with the Mastadon.
Having the inverted front fork is a definite advantage as far as the ability to swap out front tires if you want to.
Looking at the Mastadon info it doesn't look like it can fit a 29" tire. That would be a deal breaker for me. Wren also makes a 150mm travel model that is the one I am presently riding on my Exess E-180 that I got from Pushkar a year ago. I have never had a tire strike against the frame while riding and I'm running a 29'er on the front. Having that extra 50mm of travel has saved me from going over the bars a few times too.
I used to have a hardtail fat bike with 26" x 4" tires with a 135mm hub and it worked greaton that as well.
If the geometry is right on the Hydra go with the longer travel model it works great for single track and I rarely do much downhill so it's a good overall fit for my riding style.
As far as assistance goes Kevin the owner is hands and responds quickly and if it's a technical issue you will go through a guy named Russ back east and he's knowledgeable on all aspects of the fork service or maintenance problems.
I got the Wren 110 travel as the 150 wasn’t available at the time I made my purchase. The Mastodon I wasn’t able to find anywhere. I know several people who have the Wren and love it. Worst case scenario I run the Wren for a while and see how I like it and switch to the Mastodon if I don’t.

Hehehehehe Rubbish huh? How's that 29'er fit on your front? Bolany, RST, DNM, Suntour are "rubbish" I ride the shi_ out of mine and it hasn't blown up yet. What about DVO or Cane Creek? I'm leaving Fox out of it because I'm sure we agree on those.

Hehehehehe Rubbish huh? How's that 29'er fit on your front? Bolany, RST, DNM, Suntour are "rubbish" I ride the shi_ out of mine and it hasn't blown up yet. What about DVO or Cane Creek? I'm leaving Fox out of it because I'm sure we agree on those.
My rear shock is the DVO Topaz T3. Haven’t ridden on it yet but my first impressions are positive. Looks to have tons of adjustment and the reviews I’ve read on it are all good.

Fox is fox... Pretty much the top end fork your gonna find, nothing for a fat tire though. Kinda limited to the Manatou, Rockshox, and Wren . You can get some Fat tire forks from Ali or Amazon for $150 or so but their throwaways IMO. Luna used to offer a fat tire front fork called the Luna Lander. It was also a throw away to as it couldn't be serviced or repaired. DVO from what I hear from a friend of mine is a good shock. Cane creek I've seen them but never rode them. Their headsets are topnotch so I'm guessing their shocks are probably pretty good to. Everyone's got opinions these are just mine from having experience with a few brands mentioned.

Didn't know Ohlins made a front fork. I've seen the "yellow" spring coil set-ups. They do make a front fork, learn something new everyday.

Last edited:
Looking at the Mastadon info it doesn't look like it can fit a 29" tire. That would be a deal breaker for me.
I'm not sure where you got that. The Mastodon can handle a 27.5X4.5. To give some tire size perspective, it's the tire on the far left in this video:

29's are certainly no problem.

Wren also makes a 150mm travel model
The Mastodon is capable of 150mm travel in Standard mode, 140mm in EXT mode.

Jon A thanks for the video I wasn't aware of the tire size ability of this fork. What size hubs are you guys running with these? 110, 135,150? I just "ASSumed" ( I know ) that like Fox or some of the others the 29"+ tire didn't work well with the 27.5" fork. Now I know.

Back