Superdelite Bike Carrier (Thule Towbar?)

Hello everyone,
this is my first post in this community!

Recently I have bought a RM Superdelite and I am looking for a bike carrier. The bike vendor suggested a Towbar Thule carrier, and I thought about the XT 2 however I am a bit concerned about clamps as they look very unflexible with regards to their position and also the SD has a very thick frame.

Any experience with this bike & carriers?
The Thule Easy Fold does work for us, as we have two Superdelites mounted on it. The grabber attaches just below the seat post as everywhere else is too fat. However there are a couple of issues. However, you have to relocate the Abus lock on the lower bar as it interferes with the Thule grabber. Next, the Superdelite doesn’t fit exactly in the wheel troughs, but good enough. However, you have to replace the hold down straps with mountain bike straps as the standards ones are too short. Otherwise it all seems to work, and is a super bike rack that folds up small and stores away nicely, albeit the most expensive bike rake I know of.

Can be problem trying to finding location on ebike frame for Thule arm clamps to clamp onto. Especially if you have two bikes. Best to try before buying.

Can be problem trying to finding location on ebike frame for Thule arm clamps to clamp onto. Especially if you have two bikes. Best to try before buying.
I have two Charger3 Mixte attached. Figured out that we had to take the long arm off before attaching the first bike on the inside. Once you figure out the best location for each arm, the pedals and the tires (our bikes go opposite end) take a photo of the setup so when the next couple of times you know what you did. By the third time you get it down to memory. It took us 25 minutes very first time, but can do it now in well under 10 minutes.

If I was to write this appraisal of the Thule XT-2 last week, it would have been a screaming negative rant . . . but now I'm more favorably inclined. But more on that in a moment.

I bought an XT-2 in early 2017 a week after I got my Delite after learning immediately that my old Yakima was not going to work for a heavy e-bike (thankfully the Yakima withstood my first attempts, but not without complaining and giving me a near heart attack when hitting that first bump). The design of this rack really stood out from others: adequate weight capacity, ease of use, off-vehicle portability, good clearance, convenient tilt back capability, and the detachable ramp. So I took my trembling hand off my wallet and shelled out the big bucks.

Three seasons of rough use, including a 4,000 mile road trip last year, and it held up just fine. No issues except for cosmetic damage when I backed into a bollard (ahem . . .). I did find immediately upon my first attempt that the ramp was totally useless. Thule has changed that design now with the next generation offering. It is also kind of heavy to tote around off the vehicle - folds up nicely, but still a chore to pick up and carry. Thule has also remediated that now with the addition of a small wheel placed underneath. The clamping arm is very clever in that it is designed so it can't be overtightened, which works every time. It is almost infinitely adjustable to be able to find a position to grab the bike frame - you can slide the arm mount along any point on the rack to have it reach just about any point on the bike frame where it is practical to clamp. This is how I clamp mine:

Thule Arm Placement.JPG

I found that clamping to the downtube was best, but you can also slide the arm along the rack to have it clamp on the seat downtube - probably what you'd want to do for the newer Delites due to the in-frame battery placement. This clamp has never failed, despite hard bumpy rides off pavement.

The rack got moderately frequent use the first 2.5 seasons, mostly on weekends since I was commuting to work on the Delite. I had some knee issues last year and decided to drive to work, then do lunchtime rides instead. So, the rack was suddenly being used 5-6 times a week. I wasn't leaving it on my truck at home, which meant a lot of workout for the hitch tightening/anti-rattle knob taking it on and off the 2" receiver every day. All fine until this June: I was tightening the knob and stripped the bolt. Admittedly, I am pretty aggressive tightening it to minimize the sway, but suddenly the rack was out of service - the design is such that the anti-rattling knob also effectively keeps the rack in the hitch receiver. There is not the usual bolt going through a hole in the rack and receiver end under the vehicle. As the saying goes: worked great until it didn't.

Well, even though the rack was on it's 4th year with a lot of use, I figured it was worth contacting Thule. They advertise a lifetime warrantee; even if they felt it was an abuse issue, at least I wanted to see if they would sell me the parts. So I went to their website, hoping they would have the part readily available (hey, I can't be the only one that this has happened to). No such luck, so I put in a service ticket. In all fairness, the site tells you that it could be week before someone gets back to you. O.K. - what can you do, right? After three weeks(!), I get an automated message stating that "sorry, we're backlogged due to COVID-19, if you no one has contacted you, please tell us and someone will do so soon . . . if you don't respond to this email, your ticket will be cancelled . . .". I respond with a not too sarcastic comment. Three weeks later, same automated message. Same (but more sarcastic) comment from myself. Two weeks later - which was last weekend - same message. Aaargh!. I respond again . . . and lo and behold, on Monday I get an email from a live person. Wonders never cease. She asked for photos and a description of the issue - like I hadn't told them in three different ways in the previous emails. I had done a work-around in the meantime awaiting response (and growing considerably older during that time) and explained that to her. "Just want the parts". Lo and behold, the next day she writes back and informs me that Thule is going to replace the entire rack. They also apologized profusely for the delay. Certainly mellowed my attitude. With hindsight, due to liability issues, I do see that they wouldn't want me replacing load bearing parts on my own, but I'll take the offer! The model is backordered for another month or so, but I can handle that, especially since they will be sending on the newer generation unit.

Lesson learned: Great rack as long as you don't get over-zealous with the hitch tightening knob. I'm cutting Thule support some slack since the whole COVID thing has turned everything and everyone upside down. I get that, although - as mentioned at the outset - I wasn't so forgiving just a week ago. Ultimately, Thule came through without accusing me of abusing the rack, etc. Sometimes it does pay to spend a bit more for a product you know is backed up by a long-standing vendor. Luckily, I had figured out a work-around and was able to continue using the unit:

Thule-spacer-annotated.jpg

Hello everyone,
this is my first post in this community!

Recently I have bought a RM Superdelite and I am looking for a bike carrier. The bike vendor suggested a Towbar Thule carrier, and I thought about the XT 2 however I am a bit concerned about clamps as they look very unflexible with regards to their position and also the SD has a very thick frame.

Any experience with this bike & carriers?
Hi, My bike weighs 130 lbs. Most bicycle racks cannot handle the this weight, So I bought an inexpensive motorcycle rack from Harboufrieght , It has a steel hitch attachment and aluminum frame with a ramp.

This works very well for me, I am 69 and it is easy to roll the bike up the ramp. All high end cycle racks are very expensive, I bought my motorcycle rack for U$ 130. on sale.

You have to figure what works for you.

I ended up with a 1UP hitch rack -- pricey but seems very good except: I need to remove the rear fender on my Superdelite, since the mechanism on the rack is to hold the two tires down by swing-down rack arms. I can do without the rear fender. Does anyone know about best practices for fender removal? I see a few possibilities, but would appreciate advice from someone who's done this before. Thanks!

I bought a pricey 1up with a ramp, which seems very well engineered. The problem is that the 1up's lock down arms are meant to lock down on tires, not fenders like the ones on the Superdelite. To address the problem I made a spacer from scrap wood that slides between the fender hardware (including a protruding bolt) and the tire. With the spacer inserted, the arm folds down on the fender and the spacer keeps the fender from bending. See attached photos. I tried driving my with bike attached around my neighborhood, and all seemed to work well.

If anyone wants to replicate, note that the spacer has multiple "levels" the groove that cuts midway through creates room for the bolt that attaches the fender to support hardware; the 3/4" long indentation on the right of the spacer photo adjusts for the support hardware that descends from the fender towards the tire (further than the bolt; the thickest part of the spacer provides support for the fender to the rear of the fender hardware. (I also used a rag to protect the fender from the rack arm. 1up sells a foam roller to replace the rag, which I just ordered.

Attachments

• IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    714.5 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_2553.jpeg
    IMG_2553.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2558.jpeg
    IMG_2558.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 415
It seems that Cal Phillips, the inventor of the 1UP USA racks has lost control of his company and has now updated and licensed his patents to a new company that seems to be delivering improved racks for much less money. I have two double original racks but really like the changes. Here is the new company https://quikrstuff.com

I was going to buy the Easy-Fold X2 but as I read the specs, I found the maximum wheel base was 68 inches. The large frame R&M SuperDelight is 70 inches. Bummer--the dealer recommended 1-up even though they are customer direct only. Man, am I glad for the tip--super strong--all metal-USA made. Rocks. BTW the fender is really not an issue--If you lower the clamp a notch or two it slips under the rear fender and holds great. Can't praise the 1-up product enough. When you get it you will appreciate American made quality--quite a contrast.

-If you lower the clamp a notch or two it slips under the rear fender and holds great. Can't praise the 1-up product enough.
Desert John,
Good tip for suggesting lowering the clamp/tire bar as that is what I was planning to do, provided it worked, once my SuperDelite comes in. Glad it works but one question. With the clamp/tire bar lowered the angle of the back support will make the overall width of the carrier wider. Can you estimate how much it extends versus leaving the clamp/tire bar at the top of the support and using it on the fender versus the tire?
Just to add how strong the 1Up racks are we have a dual bike unit that carries two cheap & heavy Fat Tire bikes on the back of a Jeep then head off on desert trails. A great bike rack and I hope that doesn't change based on what Lumos wrote in post#29.
Thanks, Tom
IMG_6449.jpg

We have had a Thule Easy Fold 2 for almost three years now and have found it nearly ideal for heavy Riese & Muller Bikes. We have take two 3,000 mile road trips with our bikes. We had one of the clamp arms go bad as well as the locking ring for the hitch. Thule provided quick replacements in both cases. I do use two Curt bike rack straps to stabilize the rack and help support the weight. Here is a photo on the Oregon coast with a Homage and a Delight Mountain on the Thule rack.

20200212_093506.jpg

rackshot.jpg

Last edited:
I use a rack from this company.

We have used this rack to transport my wife’s Focus ebike and my Supercharger 2. It works very well and holds the bikes very securely. This company has options for mounting the racks on the a-frame of our caravan, which we have purchased. I would transport analog bicycles on the caravan’s a-frame, but wouldn‘t want the weight of two ebikes there. In the longer term when we have retired we would get Tern Vektron ebikes for taking on caravanning holidays instead. These we would stow in the back of our towing vehicle.

The biggest problem with these E bikes is the weight and the fact that most sedans can only accept a 1 1/4 inch hitch as opposed to SUVs that take 2” hitches, and my bike is a 54 cm bulls bike frame that has a wheel base that is too large for most bike racks exceeding 48 inches. This probably includes big frame R&M.

It’s crazy how many parameters are out there for a bike rack on the car.

At the risk of repetition, I bought the Saris freedom rack and got lucky that they actually have an option for a long wheelbase bar. Had no idea what I was doing and got lucky.

another observation, I’m not sure I like these nylon wheel ties at all there should be something more rubberized for the wheels and the frames for paint reasons.

Last edited:
I agree, you really need to research the options for the vehicle you own. I own a Pajero Sport, so it is rated to have a towball weight of just over 300 kg here in Australia. The Gripsport also has a capacity that enable ebikes to be carried on it. If you own a smaller vehicle it would obviously require more careful research to find the appropriate solution.

The Saris rack looks to be very similar in design concept to the Gripsport. The Gripsport is very heavy. On that basis I would imagine the Saris is a good option for a sedan or hatchback. I doubt you could go wrong with either the Saris or the Gripsport.

The biggest problem with these E bikes is the weight and the fact that most sedans can only accept a 1 1/4 inch hitch as opposed to SUVs that take 2” hitches, and my bike is a 54 cm bulls bike frame that has a wheel base that is too large for most bike racks exceeding 48 inches. This probably includes big frame R&M.

It’s crazy how many parameters are out there for a bike rack on the car.

At the risk of repetition, I bought the Saris freedom rack and got lucky that they actually have an option for a long wheelbase bar. Had no idea what I was doing and got lucky.

another observation, I’m not sure I like these nylon wheel ties at all there should be something more rubberized for the wheels and the frames for paint reasons.
All the issues you cite here are dealt with very effectively by the Thule Easyfold XT. I has a tongue that fits either a 1 1/4 inch hitch with an adaptor that works with a 2 inch hitch as well, It has a folding ramp that inserts into the side of the platform. It is long enough for my large size Homage and Delite. The wheel strap is a soft rubberized material that does not mar the rims. It also secures the bike with a clamp on the frame rather than over the tires which avoids damage to the fender. The locking mechanism for the rack and the bikes is more convenient and secure than an easily cut cable.

I have the Motow and also bought their lift system which brought the cost up to about the same as a Easyfold XT2 with optional longer ramp. The Motow is all metal, comes apart easily and raises/lowers up to 16" for loading. It works with fenders/ racks as it supports the wheels not the frame. I wanted it to fit both a 1 1/4" hitch receiver AND a 2" receiver so that I can use either of my vehicles. They accommodated that! It also tilts away from the vehicle and can support 200lbs. It's not perfect, but it's working really well! They also can handle various wheelbases. I told them what bikes I would have and the respective wheelbases and they had an option for the longer bike.

That MoTow looks very clever. I love the lift. Looks to be $984 with the lift. You mentioned it's not perfect — what's less than ideal in your experience so far?

All the issues you cite here are dealt with very effectively by the Thule Easyfold XT. I has a tongue that fits either a 1 1/4 inch hitch with an adaptor that works with a 2 inch hitch as well, It has a folding ramp that inserts into the side of the platform. It is long enough for my large size Homage and Delite. The wheel strap is a soft rubberized material that does not mar the rims. It also secures the bike with a clamp on the frame rather than over the tires which avoids damage to the fender. The locking mechanism for the rack and the bikes is more convenient and secure than an easily cut cable.
Right, except if you get into XL wheelbases (57cm frame on SD and 58cm frame on Homage ), bike will not fit and there are no accessory options from THULE.

Back