Suggested improvements to Radpowerbike models

gregorb

After putting in some miles on my Radcity I came up with some possible improvements I'd personally like to see on the next generation models. Know RPB looks at customer input with so much competition out there. Nothing negative. Love the bike. But why not take it from an A to an A+. Understand it can also come down to price point, but here are my suggestions for the Radcity.

Cruise control

Improved battery indicator

1 more high gear for more efficient pedal assist

Clock on home screen

Hard wired tail light (as per Court Rye)

Electric horn (louder, safer)

Better free hat or even a nice t-shirt
( come on guys ! )

Anyone else with input on Radcity or any other RPB model suggestions? Thanks.

I dont know about the Radcity, but the Radrhino has a hard wired tail light and to point 1:

That, at least in germany that would possibly collide with some laws I think.
I agree on the higher gears, I too wish my Radrhino had 1 or 2 higher gears but its not made for those speeds I actually ride at sooo ....

On the others things I agree.

Another thing which I would really like:

A entry level NON fatbike with a middrive motor from yamaha or bosch, that would be great.

I too wish my bike's display had more battery details, and a clock as well... hard to check the wristwatch in winter, buried under coat and glove. (Tho I just got a small zipped "utility bag" that mounts on the top tube up against the stem, and it has a clear plastic top under which is a dedicated spot to place your phone... so I'll be able to tap the phone to check the time next winter...)

It would be nice for:

- different frame sizes; I'm 6'3" and my wife is 4'11" and we are sometimes outside the "one size fits most" Rad Power Bikes average size
- Rad factory installed upgrades like (so we don't have to pay for the upgrades twice):
* hydraulic brakes
* upgraded shocks
* Rim upgrade if you want to go tubeless or "pimp yo ride"
* upgrade shifter to +8 gears OR add a front Derailleur with 2-3 gears
* upgrade tires for urban only, off road only, or middle of the road tires
* upgraded battery pack for longer range
* upgraded front light with on/off, strobe, and hi/med/low
* upgraded LCD with more info, trip data, range calculator, easy to adjust the angle for viewing, etc...
- Option for extended warranty of 2 years
- Option for different colors
- Partnership with more local bike shops to demo, service, and sales
- improved availability, waiting for the step-thru for a while and might have to pick something else if I miss another round

Wow mrgold35. Looks to me like you bought the wrong bike.

Only things I can think of is a clock on display as mentioned above and an audible beep as you change power assist levels. This would let you change assist levels without looking down at the display.
One beep for level one.....two beeps for level two and so on

I really like my Radrover. Some of the stuff on the list I did already and it would be nice to have an factory option for a little more cost compared to doing it after at a larger cost. Rad Power Bikes can't keep the same model forever. They will have to adapt to the changes in the ebike world and stiffer competition. When was the last time you walked into Sears compared to shopping online for the same thing?

I too wish my bike's display had more battery details, and a clock as well... hard to check the wristwatch in winter, buried under coat and glove. (Tho I just got a small zipped "utility bag" that mounts on the top tube up against the stem, and it has a clear plastic top under which is a dedicated spot to place your phone... so I'll be able to tap the phone to check the time next winter...)

Maybe a 10 bar or percentage battery display.

It would be nice for:

- different frame sizes; I'm 6'3" and my wife is 4'11" and we are sometimes outside the "one size fits most" Rad Power Bikes average size
- Rad factory installed upgrades like (so we don't have to pay for the upgrades twice):
* hydraulic brakes
* upgraded shocks
* Rim upgrade if you want to go tubeless or "pimp yo ride"
* upgrade shifter to +8 gears OR add a front Derailleur with 2-3 gears
* upgrade tires for urban only, off road only, or middle of the road tires
* upgraded battery pack for longer range
* upgraded front light with on/off, strobe, and hi/med/low
* upgraded LCD with more info, trip data, range calculator, easy to adjust the angle for viewing, etc...
- Option for extended warranty of 2 years
- Option for different colors
- Partnership with more local bike shops to demo, service, and sales
- improved availability, waiting for the step-thru for a while and might have to pick something else if I miss another round

A few factory upgrades would be great.
Really like a 2 year extended warranty option. Yep. Would be nice to demo (& check sizing) bikes locally with Velobike partnership.

I really like my Radrover. Some of the stuff on the list I did already and it would be nice to have an factory option for a little more cost compared to doing it after at a larger cost. Rad Power Bikes can't keep the same model forever. They will have to adapt to the changes in the ebike world and stiffer competition. When was the last time you walked into Sears compared to shopping online for the same thing?
Understood, price would be nowhere close to $1499.00 though. $2499 maybe and that puts the rad in the middle of some pretty stiff competition

Understood, price would be nowhere close to $1499.00 though. $2499 maybe and that puts the rad in the middle of some pretty stiff competition

Actually with that price, they would have to up the used components as well, you get bikes with bosch/yamaha motors and a nicer drivetrain at that pricepoint.

I wouldnt buy a bike over 2.000$/€ with a bafang motor in it, and not rear powered.

I just remembered an update:

I wish the PAS selector would change the PAS by 1 level only when you press the button. There were times I'm in PAS 2 single-track trail riding and need to up the PAS to 3. I end up taking my eyes of the trail and pressing the button up/down 2-3 times because the PAS level goes too high or too low. I do this more when it gets colder outside and I wear thicker gloves

I know this is an old post, but , I just have to agree with the longer range option! Perhaps a two battery system? It doesn't take long to drain a single battery if your into cycling. I hope Rad is listening?

I don't have a Rad but my local bike tech works on them and he said he'd like to see longer cables (he's had customers whose cables broke/pulled apart when their bike fell with the handlebars twisted so the front wheel went backward at an extreme angle) and also that on some model (not sure which one) the cables get hung up on some part of the frame that sticks out.

I believe some things have already changed in 2019 - lights are now hard-wired.

Different tire type - urban, offroad, or middle of the road - is an option or a choice, not always an "up"grade. Could be offered as a choice, depending on buyer's needs.

Better rims could be offered as an option. Some might not want to pay more.

Keeping several choices of color costs money to manufacturer and will have to be passed on to consumers, - or, at least, surcharge for less frequently ordered colors.

Bigger battery should be optional as well. Not everybody needs more than 14 AH and is willing to pay for this (both in money and weight).

Better shocks would've been nice, but this is a matter of price VS your real needs. Probably most people would agree to pay "a little" extra for better shocks.

Clock - yes. Shouldn't be difficult to source some with a clock, among hundreds of available models in China. BUT... To keep the current time, the controller (I think) must have a memory specifically for this. So , this is a question of controller design, not just a display.

Audible confirmation of PAS change, and change one level at at a time, no matter how long you press - yes, please.

Last edited:
New to the game so I’m pretty happy with my “18” Rover. Put on an 11-30 freewheel before I hardly started riding. Would like less wattage difference between PAS 2 and 3. Put on a 46T chain ring and between it and the freewheel I feel my lower gears are more usable. My bike attracts a lot of attention and answering a lot of questions when I’m out riding. Best out come is I ordered a Rad City step through for my dad Friday and a Rover for a friend Sunday. Both are not so computer savvy so I stepped in and got them on the way for them. Looking forward to the referral awards given out by Rad.

I would like to have a more positive on/off switch for the throttle assist button. Never sure if it is on or off as I approach intersections because it gets bumped often. A heavy duty toggle witch would make more sense to me.

Agreed. Be carefull to buy it so it "fits" your body. Assemble it carefully and ride it for a bit. At least 50 miles. From there, if there is something about it you don't care for, it can easily be changed to exactly what you want very reasonably, leaving you with a semi-custom bike at a very reasonable price. Tough to beat.

That said, I'd like to see something like a City, with a gear drive rear hub for those of us living and playing in a not so level metro area.

The Step-thru comes with a 340mm seat post while the wagon comes with a 390 mm seat post. I wish that they would switch to a 390 mm seat post for the Step-thru. I had to buy a longer seat post and I am not that tall of a person.

Back