Stupid question. Throttle only

Bitmugger

Region
Canada
So I've heard/read some cyclists particularly when touring say they are touring "throttle only".
Does that usually mean they are not pedaling and just using the throttle to get around or does that mean they are pedaling but using the throttle on climbs instead of setting a PAS level?

In the purest sense, "throttle only" would be just that. No pedaling at all. Some enjoy this mode as a way of maybe not being all hot and sweaty upon arrival at work in the morning, while they enjoy the exercise of PAS on the way home at the end of the day.

It still means that you can use PAS. I've never seen a bike that only has throttle. They always have throttle + PAS. Prefer the throttle though.

I wasn't referring to the bike so much as the rider. When the rider says they did a 400km tour throttle only, would that mean to you they basically didn't pedal?

I think all interpretations are good. I built a bike no PAS, full proportional throttle only, my choice. I also own a basic 5 levels PAS bike but I prefer not to use the PAS and use my proportional throttle all the time to get exactly the assistance I want when I (always) pedal. With a better 15 levels PAS or a torque sensor bike I could do different...

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to the bike so much as the rider. When the rider says they did a 400km tour throttle only, would that mean to you they basically didn't pedal?
400km with throttle only will kill the battery. I think they mean the bike had throttle but they used pas mostly.

I don't agree it is absolutely possible to do 400 Km full throttle only , zero pedalling, in cool weather. Problem is that you have to stop every hour to charge or replace the battery if it's a good size normal battery ....

I often did 30 Km full throttle at 32km/h with my hub motor 48v 500W, battery 14.5A, no pedalling.

Back