Stromer ST1 vs ST2 in 2024

Operator7

Hello everyone, looking for thoughts/opinions on the ST1 vs ST2. The ST1 is currently $3,600 retail while the ST2 is listed at almost double. I'm currently trying to decide if I should take the economical route, or go all out and purchase the ST2. I know one main difference is the pinion, but I still don't even know how much better that is. Would love to hear your take! thx

Pinion seems great. Cleaner than derailleur and sometimes an oil changing. You can change gears at stop but not under load. So a little bit less sporty than derailleur. Maybe the fact that you need to turn the shifter may be a little bit strange at the beginning.

If you have the possibility testing the two systems, go for it. Maybe during the test rides a system will suit you most.

Two others differences between ST1 and ST2 are the power of the motor and the geometry of the frame (a little more comfortable for the ST1). The headset of the ST2 is adjustable though.

Do you live in a hilly area ? If yes, then consider the most powerful motor of the ST2. If you have mainly flat roads, choose the ST1 with the bigger battery.

From what I’ve seen the mechanical pinion on the ST1 requires a bit of twisting force. I found that I do not like that on my bike that uses the Enviolo system.

Also looking at these myself and wondering what kind of torque differences there are. Seems that Stromer quotes a nominal torque figure so it looks a lot lower than other brands.

In the US, the ST1 motor has a power of 670W with a torque of 35NM and the ST2 had a power of 750W with a torque of 40NM but the gear range is better on the ST1 (398% vs 295%)

In the US, the ST1 motor has a power of 670W with a torque of 35NM and the ST2 had a power of 750W with a torque of 40NM but the gear range is better on the ST1 (398% vs 295%)
Hmmm, that low gearing range really makes me wonder about hills. Heavy bike, the torque figure, and the fact that the motors can overheat...

Here is my feedback after spending a few days test riding, marinating over it, etc...

I found the ST2 a bit more powerful, and the brakes felt a little more in control. I experienced the Pinion and it is indeed nice to switch gears at anytime, but I actually found the ST1 traditional chain smoother when shifting gears. For my part, I'm in sunny Southern California and I ride primarily on a beach bike path, so while the Pinion is supposed to be much less maintenance, I could probably get away without this making much difference. I also heard an experienced person tell me that sometimes the Pinion might be more maintenance in some ways, but I didn't get too into the details. I came to the conclusion that I could save a LOT of money by going with the ST1, and I was able to purchase the Evolve GTR All Terrain eboard, and still came out with much more money in my pocket.

Thanks for the responses above, and this is just my personal take.

Here is my feedback after spending a few days test riding, marinating over it, etc...

I found the ST2 a bit more powerful, and the brakes felt a little more in control. I experienced the Pinion and it is indeed nice to switch gears at anytime, but I actually found the ST1 traditional chain smoother when shifting gears. For my part, I'm in sunny Southern California and I ride primarily on a beach bike path, so while the Pinion is supposed to be much less maintenance, I could probably get away without this making much difference. I also heard an experienced person tell me that sometimes the Pinion might be more maintenance in some ways, but I didn't get too into the details. I came to the conclusion that I could save a LOT of money by going with the ST1, and I was able to purchase the Evolve GTR All Terrain eboard, and still came out with much more money in my pocket.

Thanks for the responses above, and this is just my personal take.
So you bought the ST1?

Totally agree on the pinion. Derailleurs are going to be the easier option for maintenance and repair simply because every bike shop can work on them. I tested an ST3 and I while I can tolerate Pinion/Nexus stepped twist shifting a lot more than Enviolo it just isn’t my preference to twist shift. Also felt a lot heavier than I expected. This particular bike wasn’t shifting right at the moment, so further evidence of reliability.

ST3 felt extremely powerful. I think it is a 40 nm hub. Easily felt on par with a 75-85 nm mid drive for climbing. Did you test the ST1 on steep hills?

So you bought the ST1?

Totally agree on the pinion. Derailleurs are going to be the easier option for maintenance and repair simply because every bike shop can work on them. I tested an ST3 and I while I can tolerate Pinion/Nexus stepped twist shifting a lot more than Enviolo it just isn’t my preference to twist shift. Also felt a lot heavier than I expected. This particular bike wasn’t shifting right at the moment, so further evidence of reliability.

ST3 felt extremely powerful. I think it is a 40 nm hub. Easily felt on par with a 75-85 nm mid drive for climbing. Did you test the ST1 on steep hills?
I did indeed purchase the ST1. Hope to pick it up by next weekend or shortly after.

It's very interesting for me to learn about the details, as I'm not very good with mechanics and basic bicycle knowledge, but I'm learning as I go. At first I felt like Pinion was the next best thing and I better go with it, but glad to know that I am not missing out too much by going with the more affordable option. Even tho I can afford an ST2, I would be a lot more nervous riding it around, or even carrying it on my car rack (1UP). The easier price of the ST1 will allow me to relax a lot more.

I did indeed test both bikes on a steep hill, and this is where I noticed the increased power of the ST2; However, I'm wondering how the torque adjustment settings might affect this. The shop guys adjusted the torque to be in the center, so I got a reasonable feel of both bikes. If I compare these two with my old 2015 ST1 Platinum, I would have had to zig zag up the steep hill even with full power and low gear. On these bikes, I was able to peddle straight up, tho I did have to use a bit of effort.

Back