Stromer ST1 Gold Battery dead

After 2 years of pandemic work from home, I am ready to start going back to work regularly. I was biking regularly on my Stromer ST1.

So I decided to get it serviced before using it again only to find out from the bike shop (Electric Bike Central in San Diego) that my battery is dead! I was honestly a bit shocked because I never had issues with my battery before and to find out that ~2 years of idling had killed it was disappointing.

It's a 2015 battery and I don't know if it just reached end of life.

This is 100% wishful thinking, but before dropping $600, I have to ask: Outside of a rebuild, have people tried anything to "reawaken" their battery? Maybe the cells are just dead.

I bought the ST1 used in 2017 and to drop 50% of the purchase cost on a battery sucks. :(

Thanks!

Avi

One more clarification: the bike shop mentioned that their multimeter read ~4V when I had dropped off the bike 2 days back.

I measured the voltage on my battery last night and the Voltmeter was reading ~11V. Then I left it plugged into the charger all night (light on charger was green and never turned orange) and today morning it was reading about 2V.

Are these measurements just noise or is there something to it? Not sure what to make of this..

I saw that, but I am very sceptical of 3rd party solutions here. But definitely something to think about.
I have bought a few things from Alibaba and besides the wait there was no issues... We had 2 very large kids playhouses sent to the house.. a little extra on imports as it was 2 very large crates and a few emails... we had it in the garage after about 2 months.. I bought 1200ah of lithium for my rv that was as described and a few other things... so its cheap enough to take he chance but I haven't had any issues to speak of that I didn't know about when ordering.

I have bought a few things from Alibaba and besides the wait there was no issues... We had 2 very large kids playhouses sent to the house.. a little extra on imports as it was 2 very large crates and a few emails... we had it in the garage after about 2 months.. I bought 1200ah of lithium for my rv that was as described and a few other things... so its cheap enough to take he chance but I haven't had any issues to speak of that I didn't know about when ordering.
I am not worried about Alibaba as a vendor site....more the product itself. I would much rather pay an extra $2-$300 for a battery rebuild.

But before I do that, I want to 100% convince myself that the battery is indeed dead and it's not the charger that is at fault.

I am not worried about Alibaba as a vendor site....more the product itself. I would much rather pay an extra $2-$300 for a battery rebuild.

But before I do that, I want to 100% convince myself that the battery is indeed dead and it's not the charger that is at fault.
I worked support for a large kit and battery reseller from 12/11/2015 through 8/15/2016. I bought several 20AH tringle packs as well as a couple of 36V Dolphin frame mounted. 6 years later they are all sagging and pretty much useless and three new batteries are in or going into service now and this spring. Use them or lose them is my new mantra.

I think a $200-$300 rebuild is unrealistic. I'd be interested in knowing who is offering that price to rebuild?

I do get how frustrating it is, but time is a pack killer.

I worked support for a large kit and battery reseller from 12/11/2015 through 8/15/2016. I bought several 20AH tringle packs as well as a couple of 36V Dolphin frame mounted. 6 years later they are all sagging and pretty much useless and three new batteries are in or going into service now and this spring. Use them or lose them is my new mantra.

I think a $200-$300 rebuild is unrealistic. I'd be interested in knowing who is offering that price to rebuild?

I do get how frustrating it is, but time is a pack killer.
Oh no...what I meant was the rebuild is $2-$300 MORE expensive than the battery pack from Alibaba....so around $600-$650. I'd rather pay that extra cash knowing that I will be getting Samsung/LG cells and more importantly.....I can plug the battery straight into my bike and get going.

Also: even if I were to get that battery pack, there is still more work to be done, which with twin toddlers at home (+ work), I do not have the bandwidth for anymore.

But yes.....batteries dying on you with limited use is a huge bummer....but maybe the limited use is the problem here. Next time, I will pay attention to best conditions for maintaining the battery (keep it at 60% charger when not in frequent use, charging every few months or so etc.).

limited use is the problem here.
I had a new 36V battery and believe it or not forgot I had it. 3 years later it's a dud. Cells were discharged so low that it would be a good candidate for a catastrophic failure/fire. Cells were less than 2V. It seems the BT BMS drained the battery in storage.

I had a new 36V battery and believe it or not forgot I had it. 3 years later it's a dud. Cells were discharged so low that it would be a good candidate for a catastrophic failure/fire. Cells were less than 2V. It seems the BT BMS drained the battery in storage.
Yikes...I think something similar is happening with my battery....it's measuring 11V though right now. Has anyone measured the battery voltage at different %charge amounts? I am assuming the multimeter would ready >=36V at full charge, but I wonder what it would ready at diminishing % charge values.

Back