Stromer ST1 Battery Fail at 50% and higher

nashda

Has anyone else seen issues like this where you ride it, park it for a few hours, then come back to find what should be a 50%-75% battery to be totally dead where it displays "no battery" on the control screen?

Some details around what I've tried:
1. A brief "jumpstart" using the charger brings back the battery power to where I'd expect it to be at that time (50%-75%)
2. riding the bike with the controller turned on sometimes revives the battery. Most of the time it does not.
3. The lighting harness is completely disconnected
4. Disconnecting and reconnecting the cables to the rear hub does not help
5. Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the controller doesn't help
6. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery in the battery bay does not help
7. Bike is stored indoors in heated/AC office area between being ridden and being found with a dead battery
8. Charger being used with the battery in the bike

Any suggestions? Do I have to fork out $750 for a new battery? Seems strange that it behaves normally after the jumpstart.

Thanks!

Has anyone else seen issues like this where you ride it, park it for a few hours, then come back to find what should be a 50%-75% battery to be totally dead where it displays "no battery" on the control screen?

1. A brief "jumpstart" using the charger brings back the battery power to where I'd expect it to be at that time (50%-75%)
2. riding the bike with the controller turned on sometimes revives the battery. Most of the time it does not.
7. Bike is stored indoors in heated/AC office area between being ridden and being found with a dead battery

Any suggestions? Do I have to fork out $750 for a new battery? Seems strange that it behaves normally after the jumpstart.

Thanks!
sounds as though the problem might be in the OMNI unit? I know that there were some problems a year or so ago and I had to replace mine under warranty..just a thought. I have in excess of 3000 miles on my ST-2 battery and it is still giving me plenty of energy at this point. Not sure how old your bike is but I think it (the battery) might be covered under warranty?

It's an ST1, so there is no OMNI.

But there is a benefit: You can measure the Voltage of the battery. Do this only, if you're familiar with such tools!

Check first the "empty" battery, then charge outside the bike at approx. 20ºC Now check again. Is it around 41V? If so, the battery is fine. Your method #2 is the best for all kind of errors. But if this battery error persits, it's probably the BMS inside the battery which provides wrong values. This might be repaired (without buying a new battery)

Thanks!
I had the same issue - it ended up being one of the cables from the motor to the display console. Should be a warranty (free) fix...

I had the same issue - it ended up being one of the cables from the motor to the display console. Should be a warranty (free) fix...

Hello I am having the same problem. The mechanic is saying it is the motor and is asking 800 $ to fix it.
Can you tell me exactly which cable was?
Tnx

@nashda Would you be able to provide some additional information on the battery please:

1- When did you purchase the bike / battery

2- One the battery itself there is a sticker on it. Can you advise me of the month and year indicated on the sticker

3- While voltage is one way to test it, that usually is an indicator that there is nothing worong with the charger's ability to put out a full charge as well as test the BMS. As the battery ages it's abilitly to hold a charge (how long you can use it for vs new) is significantly reduced.

regards,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

How old is your battery?

Mine started failing after 2 1/2 years.

I bought a new battery and everything works again.

I believe the battery and bike were purchased new in 2013. When yours failed, what were the symptoms you saw? Did jumpstarting with the charger get the battery to come back on the old battery?

It's an ST1, so there is no OMNI.

But there is a benefit: You can measure the Voltage of the battery. Do this only, if you're familiar with such tools!

Check first the "empty" battery, then charge outside the bike at approx. 20ºC Now check again. Is it around 41V? If so, the battery is fine. Your method #2 is the best for all kind of errors. But if this battery error persits, it's probably the BMS inside the battery which provides wrong values. This might be repaired (without buying a new battery)

I believe that the voltage was the same after it prematurely failed and then after the brief jumpstart with the charger. I'll have to test that again, though.

@nashda Would you be able to provide some additional information on the battery please:

1- When did you purchase the bike / battery

2- One the battery itself there is a sticker on it. Can you advise me of the month and year indicated on the sticker

3- While voltage is one way to test it, that usually is an indicator that there is nothing worong with the charger's ability to put out a full charge as well as test the BMS. As the battery ages it's abilitly to hold a charge (how long you can use it for vs new) is significantly reduced.

regards,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

1. I believe it was purchased new in 2013. I purchased it from a friend in 2014.
2. The only thing on the battery that resembles a sticker with a date is "D/C: 2013/46"
3. I understand the holding the charge issue but I'd expect that if it was just that, the jumpstart of the battery wouldn't resolve the issue in the short term like it has for me. (my #1 item at the top). If it were simply degraded battery capacity, I'd expect it to run out of juice quick and require some extended time on the charger before running again.

Back