Stromer lack of support and a dead st1

tenroz

I purchased a Stromer St1 Platinum demo bike from Crazylenny's E-bikes on 1-21-2018 in Wisconsin online. It was supposed to have been all checked out before they sent it to me. It has less then 400 miles on it now. I have had major issues with this bike since I got it. The very first thing was that it wouldn't charge up the battery to full but they seem to have fixed that problem (E-Life cycles in Folsom CA). Now I get a No-Comm error message flashing in the display. I took the bike back to E Life Cycles and they said they fixed it.....so after getting home with it I go for ride but it quits again at 1/4 mile out and gives me that no-comm flashing error again in the display. I have had a new display changed, a new torque sensor changed, whole new rear wheel and motor assembly changed and still this is just one big door stop now. Is there a lemon law on e-bikes? There should be one because this e-bike is one big lemon through and through. Its going on 2 months now and still not fixed and they cant even seem to get the parts for it ....They tell me two wires are on order from Stromer...God only knows if this is true......The only silver lining is its still under warranty. I wish I had a fairy Godmother that could just make this bike vanish or give me a new that actually works. I would appreciate any help to fix bike or replace bike from anyone out there...thanks a million!

Attachments

• IMG_20190924_123845602_2.jpg
    IMG_20190924_123845602_2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,410
Sell it like everyone else does (you can see the many For sale posts on the forum ) or ask for a total bike replacement and take another chance of it not working. Or just buy a reliable one.

They have an ST5 for 7500 only. Down from 10k. I can’t take the risk of losing my business customers during my commute b/c my ebike failed on 10miles to go.....

I had wrote many threads about which is the most reliable ebike as of right now IMHO .

Sell it like everyone else does (you can see the many For sale posts on the forum ) or ask for a total bike replacement and take another chance of it not working. Or just buy a reliable one.

They have an ST5 for 7500 only. Down from 10k. I can’t take the risk of losing my business customers during my commute b/c my ebike failed on 10miles to go.....

I had wrote many threads about which is the most reliable ebike as of right now IMHO .
May I ask what e-bike you are using and the brand of the one in your picture?

2018/219 BH Easy Motion Nitro City with this custom made add ons:

- 54t 130bcd big ring(32-34mph top speed)
- Luna Cycles Advanced charger (5amp charger)
-35c tire front/48c back

6-7000 miles so far and zero issues. I lost the display once and not sure of exact mileage.

From my research it’s about the only reliable speed pedelec(28pmh) under 4k. Specialized /Trek/Giant make a few 28mph models but they have issues with the cranks, displays, sofware, and others..

2018/219 BH Easy Motion Nitro City with this custom made add ons:

- 54t 130bcd big ring(32-34mph top speed)
- Luna Cycles Advanced charger (5amp charger)
-35c tire front/48c back

6-7000 miles so far and zero issues. I lost the display once and not sure of exact mileage.

From my research it’s about the only reliable speed pedelec(28pmh) under 4k. Specialized /Trek/Giant make a few 28mph models but they have issues with the cranks, displays, sofware, and others..
I see Crazylennys online is offering that city nitro for $1980....with 5 year warranty....do you think this is worthy price?

Absolutely. I payed 3499$+ taxes. Almost 5 grand after suspension seatpost, Abus seat and wheel lock, bell, better tires, Spd pedals, Sql grips and powerfull front light.

With the best accessory it is a gleaming ebike.

5year warranty and 2years for the battery. That is unique in the industry.

That store has a large inventory and it is probably the best in the Us. They can make deals like that every once in awhile. The store in Ny where i bought mine’s closed down- crazy high rents !!

Is there a lemon law on e-bikes? There should be one because this e-bike is one big lemon through and through.

Yes, there is one.

I'll show you how it works.

The "NO_COMM" is a well known error on the ST1 series. As this error can be hard to overcome, it's one of the reasons why Stromer has withdrawn her ST1 from the market some years ago. But some dealers might still have ST1 in stock - and offer them with attractive discount. The main reason for this non-specific error lies in the motor, but defective wiring can also be the cause. The torque sensor is very robust and can only damaged during remove/install of the rear wheel. The display is reliable, but its mount can be broken e.g. by trying to change its battery. Both parts have nothing to do with the NO_COMM.

More strange is the story about the charging level of the battery. I wonder, if this was really happened. More likely, the battery gauge in the display was wrong. I can't imagine, how to fix this. But as you have the old octagonal battery, you can check the status of charge by yourself. The value should be close to 42V - but don't do this at home if you're not familiar with such devices.

Now, you know, how to get from a common error to a lemon :-(

Not sure why anyone would buy a hub motor bike or why would you buy a bike on the internet.

In our store we only cary mid drive bikes for repairability mostly, lots of other pros to a mid drive compared to a hub motor.

Buy your bike from your local bike shop so when you have any repair issues or you need warranty support they are there for you not to mention the million other reasons to buy local.

Not sure why anyone would buy a hub motor bike or why would you buy a bike on the internet.

In our store we only cary mid drive bikes for repairability mostly, lots of other pros to a mid drive compared to a hub motor.

Buy your bike from your local bike shop so when you have any repair issues or you need warranty support they are there for you not to mention the million other reasons to buy local.

YES for local dealer .

Hub and mid are both OK. Each has their advantages and disadvantages

Disagree on the hub vs mid drive, we have been selling and repairing thousands of ebikes over 6 years and I would never recommend a hub drive ebike.
Just my input but what do I know....

but what do I know....

Obviously what you do but is doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you. I feel my road type bikes with hub motors are as reliable as they come and easy to service if ever needed. Also they provide me with the pedaling input experience I want on roads while I prefer my mid-drive for mtb use. I had my first hub motor in 2001 so I guess I am just used to them by now....

but what do I know....

Obviously what you do but is doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you. I feel my road type bikes with hub motors are as reliable as they come and easy to service if ever needed. Also they provide me with the pedaling input experience I want on roads while I prefer my mid-drive for mtb use. I had my first hub motor in 2001 so I guess I am just used to them by now....

My feeling is that this dealers are acting on the big companies orders which is to push out the hub motors b/c they are easy to repair and sell the mid drives which are very proprietary and headache to open/adjust, etc...

we have been selling and repairing thousands of ebikes over 6 years and I would never recommend a hub drive ebike.

???

This is how a Stromer motor looks like from inside: Copper, iron - and the magnets at the rotor.

Here is NOTHING to repair, no major electronics, no gearing, no switches!

Show us a picture of a mid drive from inside to compare....

1569431253667.png

1569431278453.png

The experts recognize the temperature and the hall sensor - and are happy, the sensitive motor controlling electronics is outside :)

???

This is how a Stromer motor looks like from inside: Copper, iron - and the magnets at the rotor.

View attachment 39031
View attachment 39032
Very nice picture but on Stromer st1 first generation, isn't the controller built inside with motor? Since this is my second motor replacement ...the odds of it being defective I thought are a million to one......just wish I knew what is the culprit is giving me that no-comm error message.

I purchased a Stromer St1 Platinum demo bike from Crazylenny's E-bikes on 1-21-2018 in Wisconsin online. It was supposed to have been all checked out before they sent it to me. It has less then 400 miles on it now. I have had major issues with this bike since I got it. The very first thing was that it wouldn't charge up the battery to full but they seem to have fixed that problem (E-Life cycles in Folsom CA). Now I get a No-Comm error message flashing in the display. I took the bike back to E Life Cycles and they said they fixed it.....so after getting home with it I go for ride but it quits again at 1/4 mile out and gives me that no-comm flashing error again in the display. I have had a new display changed, a new torque sensor changed, whole new rear wheel and motor assembly changed and still this is just one big door stop now. Is there a lemon law on e-bikes? There should be one because this e-bike is one big lemon through and through. Its going on 2 months now and still not fixed and they cant even seem to get the parts for it ....They tell me two wires are on order from Stromer...God only knows if this is true......The only silver lining is its still under warranty. I wish I had a fairy Godmother that could just make this bike vanish or give me a new that actually works. I would appreciate any help to fix bike or replace bike from anyone out there...thanks a million!

I have a ST1 Platinum that I bought new on July 4th, 2013, and after thousands of miles, I am very happy with it.

Many years ago, if I remember correctly, I had the same error message and was told to remove the battery door and battery, and then reach down to where the wire connects from the motor to where the bottom of the battery sits. It was very tight, so I had my wife use her smaller hands to reattach the connection. Since then, I have not had anymore issues with it. I hope this helps...

I have a ST1 Platinum that I bought new on July 4th, 2013, and after thousands of miles, I am very happy with it.

Many years ago, if I remember correctly, I had the same error message and was told to remove the battery door and battery, and then reach down to where the wire connects from the motor to where the bottom of the battery sits. It was very tight, so I had my wife use her smaller hands to reattach the connection. Since then, I have not had anymore issues with it. I hope this helps...
Thank you for the advice but I've tried that at least 3 times unplugging all connectors inside battery door and replugging them back in....and still no fix... :-(

Very nice picture but on Stromer st1 first generation, isn't the controller built inside with motor?

This picture is from 2014 when the ST2 was introduced. The ST1 is withdrawn from the market since years. I tried to figure out why you were able to buy one; the outcome is my text above "how to get a lemon".

"The New Wheel" is the name of a Stromer shop which should be able to deal with all your issues; its owner has visited Stroer HQ in person.

This picture is from 2014 when the ST2 was introduced. The ST1 is withdrawn from the market since years. I tried to figure out why you were able to buy one; the outcome is my text above "how to get a lemon".

"The New Wheel" is the name of a Stromer shop which should be able to deal with all your issues; its owner has visited Stroer HQ in person.
I am going through E Life Cycles shop in Folsom Ca with my Stromer st1 still barely under warranty even though it was bought from CrazyLenny's in WI. Its going on 2 months now and they haven't fixed it right or yet....talk about ultimate frustration. Only one shop in all of Sacramento fixes Stromer's it looks like...sad sad sad.

???

View attachment 39031
View attachment 39032

The experts recognize the temperature and the hall sensor - and are happy, the sensitive motor controlling electronics is outside :)
???

View attachment 39031
View attachment 39032

Bluecat,

I said the same thing and thank you for double it down with better details 👌

I definitely think they want people to go middrives only so that we can not repair them . Kind of like cars. Go to your dealership...

Major repair for hub drives is simple- change the plastic gears every few years.

I should stock up on some 1kw Mac motors before they are banned.

Back