Street or less rolling resistance Replacment tires ? for the fat rims...I'm in Canada

Dono Be

Hey...I'm wondering if you know approximately how wide the inside width of the Yukon rims are ?? I can't find it anywhere I've looked ...I'm thinking of putting smoother tires...or smaller width with a road strip for less rolling resistance on my wife's bike.

That's another thing I'm looking into...how narrow of a tire can I go with on the Yukon rim width...3" tire?..or a .2.5"tire??

Right now the Yukon 750 has 559 or 26" x 4" Kenda Juggernaut. The reason I'm looking into this....is because there are so many options for a dual purpose road strip knobby tire with less rolling resistance on the market with a 2.5" up to the 3.5" width tire. I would then have more of a choice.

Thanks in advance....So much help on here.

Dono

Probably they are 65mm wide rims as they are pretty much the go to size for fat bikes with 4” tires.

While I do feel that a wider rim can accept a narrower tire, I personally use i35 rims with 2.3 tires on the front end of my eBikes that also can be used on i25 rims.

The minimum you could maybe get away with would be the 3.5 one you list. Otherwise there are 4” tires that are reported to roll well and some g sleuthing should yield results.

There was a poster here that commuted on a fat bike that had found good ones so you might try a search here first.

Probably they are 65mm wide rims as they are pretty much the go to size for fat bikes with 4” tires.

Hey thanks... I've been searching for tires to fit 60mm rims and nothing was showing up lol. I Didn't think to go to 65mm. Im still waiting for the bikes otherwise I would measure the width myself.

Thanks again

Hey...I'm wondering if you know approximately how wide the inside width of the Yukon rims are ?? I can't find it anywhere I've looked ...I'm thinking of putting smoother tires...or smaller width with a road strip for less rolling resistance on my wife's bike.

That's another thing I'm looking into...how narrow of a tire can I go with on the Yukon rim width...3" tire?..or a .2.5"tire??

Right now the Yukon 750 has 559 or 26" x 4" Kenda Juggernaut. The reason I'm looking into this....is because there are so many options for a dual purpose road strip knobby tire with less rolling resistance on the market with a 2.5" up to the 3.5" width tire. I would then have more of a choice.

Thanks in advance....So much help on here.

Dono

Hey there Dono Be,

Just looked at video of a Yukon 750 (nice bike by the way) and the rims look like 80mm?

I have 3 fat bikes with 65mm, 80mm and 100mm rims and from what I see in the video my guess is ISO 80mm rims.

Perhaps have a quick measure of the rim? Stand over the wheel, put the ruler/tape measure across and 'eyeball' how wide it is to the rim edge if you look down vertically at it. If my guess is right you have 80mm rims.

I offer you this suggestion to help save you buying a tire designed (and perhaps limited) to 60-65mm rims when you have 80mm rims to work with.

Let us know,
Cheers
Shaun

Reactions: JRA
Hey thanks... I've been searching for tires to fit 60mm rims and nothing was showing up lol.
I Didn't think to go to 65mm. Im still waiting for the bikes otherwise I would measure the width myself.

Thanks again

Here is a Tire and Rim chart that may prove helpful... ;)
I would recommend a minimum tire size of 3.8" if you have 65 mm rim.

blog-20180108-1.png

This is an estimation of rim width tyre size chart to help identity what rims you should look at,
however tire brands will have their own recommendations which should be adhered to. This information can be found on the sidewall of your tires.

Generally speaking, if your tire is narrow compared to the rim, you risk pinch flatting and damage to the wide rim.
If your tire is too wide compared to the rim, you risk burping/excess tire roll, and poor stability.

Last edited:
Here is a Tire and Rim chart that may prove helpful... ;)
I would recommend a minimum tire size of 3.8" if you have 65 mm rim.

This is an estimation of rim width tyre size chart to help identity what rims you should look at,
however tire brands will have their own recommendations which should be adhered to. This information can be found on the sidewall of your tires.

Generally speaking, if your tire is narrow compared to the rim, you risk pinch flatting and damage to the wide rim.
If your tire is too wide compared to the rim, you risk burping/excess tire roll, and poor stability.

blog-20180108-1.png

Awesome post - thank you for the chart - saving this in my notes for future reference.

I'm hoping Dono Be has 60-65mm rims to give him some great options for a replacement tire. While your chart does suggest 4.0" should be on a 65mm rim at most, there is websites about the Juggernaut 4.0" series of tires being installed on 80mm rims as well.

Once Dono Be has a chance to visually measure the rim widths we can help him further in recommendations of tires to consider for sure.

Awesome post - thank you for the chart - saving this in my notes for future reference.

I'm hoping Dono Be has 60-65mm rims to give him some great options for a replacement tire. While your chart does suggest 4.0" should be on a 65mm rim at most, there is websites about the Juggernaut 4.0" series of tires being installed on 80mm rims as well.

Once Dono Be has a chance to visually measure the rim widths we can help him further in recommendations of tires to consider for sure.

Glad to help. Keep in mind that manufacturers are very conservative... you could probably go 0.3" on either side of the range. YMMV. ;)

Glad to help. Keep in mind that manufacturers are very conservative... you could probably go 0.3" on either side of the range. YMMV. ;)

Here's an example photo I found - Dono Be would have to confirm it matches/closely matches his wife's bike.

Have a look at those rims with the 4.0" tires mounted on them. What do you think - 60-65mm or 80mm?

I ask simply for fun and in support of helping Dono Be out. :)

(and yes, full credit goes to Calicoskies here on EBR as the photo below comes from his review thread here on EBR - https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/voltbike-yukon-750-limited-2018-edition.24155/ ) :)

1593302667576.png

I didn't bother to take a look at a Voltbike but just guessed 65mm....for sure those look like 80mm. Anyway a quick search revealed this site that seems to list a plethora of low rolling resistance tires:

I'm glad I don't have a fat bike and have to buy tires for it, spendy.....and where I get mine comped they don't make them anyway.

Here's an example photo I found - Dono Be would have to confirm it matches/closely matches his wife's bike.

Have a look at those rims with the 4.0" tires mounted on them. What do you think - 60-65mm or 80mm?

I ask simply for fun and in support of helping Dono Be out. :)

(and yes, full credit goes to Calicoskies here on EBR as the photo below comes from his review thread here on EBR - https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/voltbike-yukon-750-limited-2018-edition.24155/ ) :)

View attachment 56925

I checked Courts full review on EBR for the specs... looks like 80mm internal rim width.

• RIMS: Jinhua Mingtai, Aluminum Alloy, Double Wall, Punched Circles, 83mm Outer Width, 36 Hole
  • SPOKES: Stainless Steel, 13 Gauge Front 12 Gauge Rear, Silver with Nipples
  • TIRE BRAND: Kenda Krusade Sport, 26" x 4.0" (98-559)
  • WHEEL SIZES: 26 in (66.04cm)
  • TIRE DETAILS: 5 to 30 PSI, 0.4 to 2.1 BAR, 60 TPI Casing
  • TUBE DETAILS: Schrader Valve
1593447625767.png

Perhaps have a quick measure of the rim? Stand over the wheel, put the ruler/tape measure across and 'eyeball' how wide it is to the rim edge if you look down vertically at it. If my guess is right you have 80mm rims.

Hey Shaun... thanks eh...I've been looking everywhere and I was just guessing at the width.
I'm still waiting to receive my bikes. Looks like I may have to stay with the fat tires and look for something with a road strip or directional tires with tight tread strip.

I checked Courts full review on EBR for the specs... looks like 80mm internal rim width.

• RIMS: Jinhua Mingtai, Aluminum Alloy, Double Wall, Punched Circles, 83mm Outer Width, 36 Hole
  • SPOKES: Stainless Steel, 13 Gauge Front 12 Gauge Rear, Silver with Nipples
  • TIRE BRAND: Kenda Krusade Sport, 26" x 4.0" (98-559)
  • WHEEL SIZES: 26 in (66.04cm)
  • TIRE DETAILS: 5 to 30 PSI, 0.4 to 2.1 BAR, 60 TPI Casing
  • TUBE DETAILS: Schrader Valve
View attachment 57169
Yikes EH....80mm Massive...glad they're not 100mm

I didn't bother to take a look at a Voltbike but just guessed 65mm....for sure those look like 80mm. Anyway a quick search revealed this site that seems to list a plethora of low rolling resistance tires:

I'm glad I don't have a fat bike and have to buy tires for it, spendy.....and where I get mine comped they don't make them anyway.
WOW GREAT SITE for info on all needs...THANX a MILLION

Okay, a little more info would be helpful for me. I've got Kenda Juggernaut 4" tires (98-559) front and rear on a Shaka cruiser that I've had a few weeks. I had bought a Duro Beach Bum 3" tube and tire (70-559), more a street tread to install.
But it looks so much narrower than the Kenda that I'm wondering if it will seat on the rim. The outside measurement of the rim is 3.25 inches which translates to 82+mm. How much reduction to get to the internal rim dimension should I figure?
Don't want to remove the 4" if the 3" won't work. Appreciate any input.

Thanks.
Jeff

Well Jeff, how wide are your rims on your Shaka. Just put a ruler across them.

My 60mm rim can take both 3" or 4" tires. I had some 2.5" tires pop off. but I was using a 2" tube.

Well Jeff, how wide are your rims on your Shaka. Just put a ruler across them.

My 60mm rim can take both 3" or 4" tires. I had some 2.5" tires pop off. but I was using a 2" tube.
As I mentioned in the post, I measured 3.25 inches to outside of rim, which translates to 82+mm. The 3" tire I am considering to replace the 4" Kenda seems like it might be too narrow for that rim. Hence, my question.

I just had a friend (who works at a bike shop) tell me it should work ......the 3" tire on an 80mm rim but not many people go down in size....You will have a wide foot print of rubber on the road and puncture of the side wall will be possible.

As I mentioned in the post, I measured 3.25 inches to outside of rim, which translates to 82+mm. The 3" tire I am considering to replace the 4" Kenda seems like it might be too narrow for that rim. Hence, my question.

This is from Duro site and it is on a 100mm rim 😲
1593821013598.png

Okay, a little more info would be helpful for me. I've got Kenda Juggernaut 4" tires (98-559) front and rear on a Shaka cruiser that I've had a few weeks.
I had bought a Duro Beach Bum 3" tube and tire (70-559), more a street tread to install.
But it looks so much narrower than the Kenda that I'm wondering if it will seat on the rim.
The outside measurement of the rim is 3.25 inches which translates to 82+mm.
How much reduction to get to the internal rim dimension should I figure?
Don't want to remove the 4" if the 3" won't work. Appreciate any input.
Thanks. Jeff

Jeff, I don't think the tire/rim tables really address your specific combination.

I would recommend mounting the new tires and then checking the profile.

You want a nice round shape... try to avoid a lightbulb or bell-shaped profile.

I hope this helps... take a look at the referenced article for more details. ;)

1593821934719.png

Back