Strange sound from motor

CptPalmer

So while I was commuting into work today I rode through a dip and the motor started to make a strange sound. After turning the motor off the sound went away and comes back after turning the motor back on. At just 4 days old I am pretty bummed. I plan on taking the bike back to the dealer tomorrow and I have to ride transit home today :rolleyes: Has anyone else had this type of issue before?

I heard a rubbing sound, do you have the city kit? Also the stromer foam pieces that keep the cords neat near the motor can move, they slide up and will touch the wheel. Pick up the front end and spin the wheeel and listen , if you can, maybe w/some additional help do the same for the rear. Does it happen anytime the bike moves or only when the motor is engaged or on?

Did I hear the correct noise? where are you?

Mark

I do have the city kit and I checked to make sure that was not it. The sound is most defiantly coming from the rear versus the from the front tire. If I switch the computer off while riding then no sound. So I have to put my money on the motor. As for the foam covers I have noticed they like to slide and I took the one off on the left side as the right one is anchored in place with the wires, so that was not either. Not sure why you can not hear it well in the video. There is a fair amount of wind noise but as soon as I get through the dip you should be able to make out a distict new sound. I live the SLC area.

My guess is the City Kit. I have had many issues and they move, especially if you have panniers. There is on the inside (underside) of the fenders that has a brace near the rear and the front of the fenders. the one on my rear of my rear fender rubs at times. There is very little clearance. From the back of your bike if follow the part of the tire that touches the ground and as it goes under the fender that brace is there you should be able to feel it, like you were trying to pick the bike up w/your fingers under the fender , may have to stretch up under just a little. I think the brace holds the fender in its shape , not sure...give it try, at least rule it out :)

Last edited:
Strange sound from motor... The last thing any ebiker wants to hear, hope it is something simple, but sounds like you have narrowed it down to the motor. Good luck. -S

My guess is the City Kit. I have had many issues and they move, especially if you have panniers. There is on the inside (underside) of the fenders that has a brace near the rear and the front of the fenders. the one on my rear of my rear fender rubs at times. There is very little clearance. From the back of your bike if follow the part of the tire that touches the ground and as it goes under the fender that brace is there you should be able to feel it, like you were trying to pick the bike up w/your fingers under the fender , may have to stretch up under just a little. I think the brace holds the fender in its shape , not sure...give it try, at least rule it out :)

Checked it out and the fender is not interfering with the tire :confused:

If it is the motor it is sealed and I can't go any further. If it does it under power only it does sound like the motor, did you call the 800 number?

Good luck! Pls follow up too

Mark

I am now home, I found the part I was speaking of, the plastic piece on ends of the fenders have support underneath them

Last edited:
tel:800-819-4262

From stromer fork recall, also inside cover of user manual :)

Thanks, I just called and they said to get the bike into a Dealer. I did actually talk to a Dealer earlier today and they told me to go to where I bought the bike. I mentioned that to the rep on the phone and he said ANY dealer can help with warranty issues and they he gets very frustrated when he hears this. So do keep in mind that if a dealer tries to push you off that you should just tell them to contact Stromer if they have an issue doing warranty work.

I started a thread about that somewhere ...trying to get on bike ,search?

Back