Stomer ST2 teaser splash page

Eesh, out of my price range. Maybe I'll start with a Falco conversion then. They've got a smartphone app too.
They've priced out a baseline Elite at CHF 4320 or ~$49oo, $700 more than a Platinum in the states. So I'm betting (or hoping) it will be more reasonably priced. :)

I think they are targeting a niche segment that can afford and there are many in US who can easily afford that. Fo e.g., Google and Intel employees in Silicon valley who are super tech-savvy would find it cool.
I wish it to be affordable to larger mass as well.

Does the app on Falco lock the motor remotely?

A Swiss journalist had some high-res pictures of ST2.
I have attached them here.

Copyright: http://www.juergvollmer.ch

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg5.jpg

$6k would be nice.
After all, they are targeting specialized turbo which is around that range.

The Stromer app locks the motor remotely, and can apparently also put the daytime running lights into a flashing mode. BTW, I believe the red lights around the seat post are additional running lights, somewhere on the Stromer website they mention LED running lights 'front and rear', thought I suppose 'rear' could refer to the taillight.

Video out now ... not sure it adds much but.

Andrew

I think I am in the minority here but I am kind of underwhelmed by the ST2. o_O My expectations were probably too high though.

Don't get me wrong, the St2 is by far the most technologically advanced eBike on the market. However, I find myself asking - do I really need any of these new features for that much more money? Are they expecting people to lock their $7k bike on the sidewalk with a smartphone? I have to pay a data service plan now? Why is the USB charger on the front of the bike in the head tube and not somewhere that is easily accessible from the seated position? Why do I need to track my bike with GPS? I guess I do if someone steals it because I thought locking it on the sidewalk with my smartphone was a good idea.

I like that it has a longer range. I also like how the battery opens on the left side and the key is on the right. This solves the problem of holding your keychain up while you close and lock the door on the ST1.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy :( I just don't think I am their target customer. A belt drive system with an IGH with integrated electric motor would have probably impressed me more than all the smartphone integration. This could all change once I ride it I'm sure. This is just my initial impression.

I think I am in the minority here but I am kind of underwhelmed by the ST2. o_O My expectations were probably too high though.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy :( I just don't think I am their target customer. A belt drive system with an IGH with integrated electric motor would have probably impressed me more than all the smartphone integration. This could all change once I ride it I'm sure. This is just my initial impression.

I see the other points you made as "nice to have" but not drivers for the buying decision. For me is the speed and look of the bike but for the price I will not be a buyer; just cannot justify it.

I am struggling to justify my interest in a Bergamont E-line CMGN which ticks the boxes you mentioned: IGH, Belt Drive and a Bosch mid-drive and sells here in Australia for AU$4,500 which is on par with the European price I believe.

Andrew

nice bike. Only in white. I wanted Pink. J.K.

the locking and GPS tracking is sweet. Don't run out of battery on your cell phone. ;-)

The range is great. The running lights are great.

A software developer from Stromer commented on my Reddit post:
To be precise, the motor stops its support at very close to 28mph (45km/h) as that's the top speed for pedal-assisted ebikes in Europe. The motor could run at higher speeds.

To extend on the whole cloud/remote abilities: We included a GSM chip on the bike's central brain which can communicate with a central server, which in turn allows remote management - whatever that will be in the future. For now, that means retailers have access to remote error analysis on the bike and customers can see their bike's state of charge, position, average speeds, ... Additionally, a customer can lock and unlock his bike and enable (and disable) a special theft-mode (which blocks the motor and starts GPS tracking) with his smartphone app. The bike firmware can be updated over the air.

This all means that there is quite a lot of background infrastructure running for this to work and it took definitely above 2 years to implement. With all this in mind, we hope customers are willing to pay the admittedly very high price. Also: This is more a "show off". We wanted to be the first to introduce these features into the ebike market but do not expect this bike to sell like crazy (we would love to see that happen, though).

The price in Switzerland is 6690CHF and in Germany 5690€.

Source: I am a software developer at Stromer.

So I guess my question is...... when can I override my controller and get my bike going faster????

Is It even safe going faster than that? I know on my vespa I can feel the cracks in the road at a slightly alarmed level. :)

Well not in all driving situations, but for the majority of my ride it would be! On one stretch of my commute I go in a straight line on a smoothly paved road for over 15 kilometers! The posted speed limit on that quiet road is 80km/h... I'd like to roll that fast!

Called the local Stromer dealer in Boca Raton FL yesterday and asked about price and availability (acted like I didn't have a clue).

His answers were pretty amusing:

1. Availability: Limited sales in Europe starting soon... Very Limited sales in the USA in Summer or Fall. He said Stromer is testing this new and more expensive segment of the market to gage real customer interest.

2. Price: Said it would be a lot more expensive than ST1, and to use my imagination.. He thought it would be $6k when and IF it he gets some for sale. hehe.

Personally I think they are getting ahead of themselves. It is still just an electric bicycle with the same limitations.. ST1 is already expensive and seems to get the job done. But who knows how much people would be willing to pay for Bluetooth, GPS and interconnectivity?

Based on the email that was sent out to dealers in US earlier this week, 30% increase in price compared to ST1 platinum (around $6K) but nothing is confirmed.

Also, not all Stromer bikes are manufactured in Swiss. It may be designed in Swiss but they also have a factory in Taiwan.

Back