Stolen In Toronto! Help keep an eye open

YYZ2017

My Teo was stolen today... So please keep an eye open for me please.

(stolen from my own garage, in south Etobicoke)

Left side.jpg
Front view.jpg

Thanks, and yes, it does. It is not even the monetary loss but the fact someone walked onto my properly, open my garage and help himself / herself to it, it feels.... personal. They might as well have walked into my home and stole stuff. Although according to the police, since my garage is a detached one, it is not considered break-in and entering.

I think this person never owned a electric bike before, since they didn't even take the charge which was inches from where the bike was.

Oh man that is awful. Keep your eyes peeled on Craig's List etc. Did you have the bike registered anywhere? I'm using Bike Index (.org). They publish quite a few recoveries in their quarterly updates. I think bike shops will run serial numbers through some of these registration outfits when bikes come into their shops as do police agencies when they find a bike. https://bikeindex.org/

Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope somehow you get it back.

As someone looking to buy their first e-bike I've been thinking about putting an alarm on my detached garage along with a visible security camera as a result of reading stories like yours. With just the roll up door and a side entry door it should be easy to setup.

@YYZ2017, very sorry to hear about the stolen bike. If you have the serial numbers from the bike & battery put together an email with a modest sized image and contact as many local shops as you can. Give them specs on the battery & charger too, we have snagged one thief when he tried to buy a charger from us. It sounded fishy, so we asked to see the bike or battery "to make sure we were selling him the right charger" and were able to nab the bike.

In the US, pawn shops are supposed to check registration numbers on items like this to see if they were reported stolen. Do the police in Toronto submit registration numbers to a database for pawn shops to check?

Very sorry to hear that! I sure will keep an eye open on kijiji, I hope they find who did that! I am like you, it really piss me off to found out someone can just go through your personal property like that!

Thanks guys, unfortunately I don't have any idea what the serial number was, I will make a note for my next purchase.

The other problem I think is even if the bike is found, the thief would barely get a slap on the wrist.
Sometimes I think they had it right in the old days where if you get caught stealing, you lose your hand. That would be a deterrent lol.

Sorry. Yeah, so aggravating and disappointing. Invariably fenced/fobbed off for a tiny fraction of its value to you. Cockroaches in human form. Been there - house burgled, car broken into, bikes, ladders, hoses, christmas lights (!) stolen. I was vacuuming the car one day, went into the house for about a minute, came back out ... shop vac went bye bye! Grrrr. Hope you get your bike back.

Thanks, but as much as I like the bike the way it was setup, I am ok with getting a replacement, yeah I will lose a bit of money (insurance covering some of the cost) but I get to try a different ebike. I was open to the idea of maybe trying the medium 750s limited but apparently there is no stock. Might try one of the trek (conduit or dual+) or a crosscurrent S

Sorry to hear the news YYZ. So frustrating after you spent so many hours customizing the bike to your liking. Yeah, you can get a replacement, however, like me, I build up a personal likeness to my bikes in general, and when someone takes your personal property, it hurts. Good luck with locating it or with your search for a replacement.

Thanks, but as much as I like the bike the way it was setup, I am ok with getting a replacement, yeah I will lose a bit of money (insurance covering some of the cost) but I get to try a different ebike. I was open to the idea of maybe trying the medium 750s limited but apparently there is no stock. Might try one of the trek (conduit or dual+) or a crosscurrent S

Those looks like good replacement bike, much more of a commuter for sure. I also I the same idea in mind for my next one. I would like to keep the Teo for the trials and buy a good commuter, something not as heavy.

Just by curiosity @YYZ2017 how was the Maxxis tire for commuting? Did you get many flats? And did you found your performance, like range and top speed, improve at all?

Cheers and thank you

Thanks CodyDog.

As for the maxxis worm the biggest differences for me was the noise. The stock tires were annoying to me with that buzzing noise . I switched them out early so can't really compare in terms of top speed or efficiency. I have not had a flat on them, I rode mostly bicycle trails and paved road some grass and gravel but some percentage in comparison.
The other advantage I saw was made the bike more nimble. Felt more willing to turn when I wanted to.

Hope this helps

Hi: Sorry to hear about your Teo being stolen. What did you end up replacing it with, if anything? I'm in Ottawa btw so not too far away. Your bike setup looks great. I'm thinking of buying a Teo this month. I can get either the 500W Limited or the 750W S, either for C$2000 this month. Supposedly I cannot get the 750W Medium Limited as they are out of stock. Did you have the 750W or 500W? I'm very confused by the difference as they say it is a different motor but when you look on their competitor's VoltBike's website, they seem to use the same motor but they say the difference is just in s/w or at least that's what I understood. So longer fenders, a rack and 500W or short fenders, no rack, and 750W. Any opinion? Or go with Voltbike for the same price and get their limited 750W?

Edit: I see now that Bafung makes a G06.500 and G06.750 motor so I guess there is an actual difference in the motor but Voltbike must just use the 750W and limit the power in s/w for the Canadian market

Thanks, ...Roger

Last edited:
Back