Stock Kenda vs. Mongoose Fat Tire Inner Tube

TheWestPole

My first ride on Radrover yielded 6 goat head thorn punctures up front, 4 in the rear. I've since added Mr. Tuffy liners to both and am trying a heavier duty Mongoose inner tub up front. While swapping the inner tube I took a few measurements I couldn't find online.

Stock Kenda:

Tube thickness: .9 mm
Total weight: 16 oz.​

Mongoose MG78253-6 :

Tube thickness: 1.3 mm
Total weight: 27 oz.​

I'll be riding with Mongoose front, Kenda rear for awhile (tire liners on both) to see if there's any noticeable puncture resistance.

Link for the Mongoose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGDW290/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My first ride on Radrover yielded 6 goat head thorn punctures up front, 4 in the rear. I've since added Mr. Tuffy liners to both and am trying a heavier duty Mongoose inner tub up front. While swapping the inner tube I took a few measurements I couldn't find online.

Stock Kenda:

Tube thickness: .9 mm
Total weight: 16 oz.​

Mongoose MG78253-6 :

Tube thickness: 1.3 mm
Total weight: 27 oz.​

I'll be riding with Mongoose front, Kenda rear for awhile (tire liners on both) to see if there's any noticeable puncture resistance.

Link for the Mongoose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGDW290/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Have you considered going tubeless

I'll wager the rubber thickness on the inner tube will not limit the damage from goat head thorns. Slime in the tube would be my first defense if I rode in country like that!

Have you considered going tubeless

Yes, that's the backup plan. My MTB does pretty well on the same terrain with liners and heavy duty tubes, so I'm gonna give that a chance first.

I'll wager the rubber thickness on the inner tube will not limit the damage from goat head thorns. Slime in the tube would be my first defense if I rode in country like that!

You may be right. If the thorns keep getting through the liners and tubes, I'll give it a try.

I had to add two 4oz bottles of Stans with my Kenda tubes+Mr. Tuffy liners. I usually have 2-8 goatheads in my tires on every ride. I would see 1-2 wet spots on my tires a week from goat heads making it into the tire sealant. I've learned to keep riding and let the sealant do its job and only stop if the PSI get too low. I think the real problem is the thin rubber of the Kenda tires between the knobs. I reduced the amount of wet spots I've been seeing to 1-2 wet spots in the last 2-3 months when I switch to Vee8 120tpi tires (they have about +10X more knobs on the tires to help with goat heads).

I have the Kenda tubes also in both bikes. I ended up running over a 4" screw and put 3 holes and a small rip in the tube. Decided to try different tubes to see if they are a little more flat resistance also: Vee Tire Co 26X4 and the Mongoose MG78253-6

I haven't installed the new tubes yet because I had a spare Kenda tube when I got the last flat with the screw. The Vee tubes look to be very similar to the Kenda side-by-side.

Last edited:
I just picked up those Mongoose tubes for $13.99 each on Amazon. Got a pair and free shipping. I'll put them on, with MrTuffys and Origin8 tires. Should be well equipped.

I had to add two 4oz bottles of Stans with my Kenda tubes+Mr. Tuffy liners. I usually have 2-8 goatheads in my tires on every ride. I would see 1-2 wet spots on my tires a week from goat heads making it into the tire sealant. I've learned to keep riding and let the sealant do its job and only stop if the PSI get too low. I think the real problem is the thin rubber of the Kenda tires between the knobs. I reduced the amount of wet spots I've been seeing to 1-2 wet spots in the last 2-3 months when I switch to Vee8 120tpi tires (they have about +10X more knobs on the tires to help with goat heads).

I have the Kenda tubes also in both bikes. I ended up running over a 4" screw and put 3 holes and a small rip in the tube. Decided to try different tubes to see if they are a little more flat resistance also: Vee Tire Co 26X4 and the Mongoose MG78253-6

I haven't installed the new tubes yet because I had a spare Kenda tube when I got the last flat with the screw. The Vee tubes look to be very similar to the Kenda side-by-side.

Thanks for the informative post. I take your point on the Vee8 tire knobs re goat heads. I have to have knobby tires and will look at those when the Kendas wear out. Re thorn punctures, do you think the high TPI count helps?

Thanks for the informative post. I take your point on the Vee8 tire knobs re goat heads. I have to have knobby tires and will look at those when the Kendas wear out. Re thorn punctures, do you think the high TPI count helps?

I think it's the other way around... 30 TPI is more puncture resistant than 120 TPI. At least that is what got from many tire manufacturer's web site.

The advantage I see with Vee8 compared to the Kenda is amount of knobs to increase the thickness of the tires against random goatheads. All of my flats with the Kenda are between the knobs compared to the punchures from goatheads penetrating through the knob. I've had punctures with Vee8 with sealant leaking; but, they were in between the knobs. Since the Vee8 have 10X more knobs, I've seen 10X less goatheads that results in a flat or wet spots from Stans sealant stopping a leak.

I'm hoping the extra thickness with the Mongoose tube+Mr. Tuffy+two 2oz bottles of Stans+Vee8 tires will be a very good combo.

Last edited:
Back