Step-thru light bike able to handle gravel?

slowguy

I have a PIM e-bike which I really like accept for the weight. 60+ lbs which is too much for my wife to lift herself onto a car rack. Her classic English shopping bike is fine for biking alone but for us to go on 25 mile rides, we are separated by miles once the hills come in. Any suggestions from experience as to a $1600-1900 step-thru bike with good range and 45 lbs weight including battery? Prefer not one with the battery on the back rack!. Reading for weeks on this site and then searching the Web stores, one seldom sees the same bikes mentioned. Thought someone out there has experience. Thanks in advance!

Hmmm ... that's a tough one!

You might save your pennies and get a rack that has a ramp. 1UP makes an ebike ramp that is highly spoken of (and recommended by my Pedego dealer). It has a ramp but clamps down on the tires from the top, so not good for bikes with fenders. I got a Thule Easyfold XT2, and it also has a ramp. I can put my Pedego (51 pounds without the battery, 60 pounds with) up on the rack by myself.

BTW, Pedego does say to remove batteries for travel on a bike rack, so we do remove the battery. At 51 pounds, though I still can't lift it, and I don't think I'd be able to manage a 45 pound bike either. I'm grateful for the rack with a ramp!

Great advice from ebikemom, worth checking into.

There are many bikes with 2” plus tires in your price range, including my Magnum. Without the battery it’s about 47 lbs. the weight is the issue as most any bike with 2”+ tires are going to be fine in gravel.

Thanks. I need to be able to have the bike transportable by my wife alone! Time marches on. Has anyone experience with the ESPIN Flow bikes? Weight is great and even looks like a PIM, just 15 lbs lighter.

We have a couple 500W VeeGo step through folding bikes with 20' X 4" tires... They also have a 750W non-folding and a lightweight 350W... All in that price range.
https://www.ridescoozy.com/

We ride on beaches with no trouble at all

Attachments

• 3bkGdREUQWuOEon24KIGzw.jpg
    3bkGdREUQWuOEon24KIGzw.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 332
Has anyone experience with the ESPIN Flow bikes? Weight is great and even looks like a PIM, just 15 lbs lighter.

FYI, EBR's review says the Flow with battery is 53.9 lbs.

The Trek Lift+ weighs 45 lbs. with battery, but it is $1K over your budget.

Back