Starting my ebike purchase journey

Such a bummer! I am very interested in how your bike does on hills (or even your driveway!). They should upgrade you to the 500w for your trouble! Interestingly, here is another online comparison of the 375w and 500w. It indicates the 375w has a Yamaha 60nm mid-drive motor whereas the 500w has a hub-drive. The dealer looked up the present specs and thinks this is incorrect, that they have the same Syncdrive life motor. So confusing.
My 2019 La Free has handled every hill I've ridden - and I've ridden a LOT in my area - with no problems at all with a 250W battery. You don't need a larger W battery with a mid drive like you would with a hub drive.

Great if you just prefer to have it, but really not necessary for hill climbing capability... Unless you're maybe riding the Rocky Mountains 😉.

I started researching eBikes in 2019 and I believe the Transend E+ and Vida E+ have always had the SyncDrive Life 60nm motor. Both bikes offered only the 375W battery up until 2021, when Giant switched over to the 500W battery. I 'think' some early 2021s are still in the supply pipeline with the 375W while later 2021s and 2022s are shipping with the 500W.

I'm getting 40+ miles from a fully charged 375W, so in theory I could travel 53+ miles on the new 500W battery. I have a pretty short attention span and I usually get bored and head for home after 20-25miles, so I'm good with 375W. ;)

My 2019 La Free has handled every hill I've ridden - and I've ridden a LOT in my area - with no problems at all with a 250W battery. You don't need a larger W battery with a mid drive like you would with a hub drive.

Great if you just prefer to have it, but really not necessary for hill climbing capability... Unless you're maybe riding the Rocky Mountains 😉.
So much depends on riding style. Spouse and I only use power for going up hills, of which we have a lot where we live. We're not speed freaks, so our average ride last summer was at about 13 MPH. On a 12 mile ride with about 800 feet of climb we might use 15% of our 625 watt batteries. On longer 18 mile rides with about 1600 feet of climb, I'd use about 30%, spouse would use about 20%. She's a stronger rider! So you can see we "overbought" for battery. There are other riders on these boards who love speed. For them, I suspect a 1000W battery wouldn't be enough.

So much depends on riding style. Spouse and I only use power for going up hills, of which we have a lot where we live. We're not speed freaks, so our average ride last summer was at about 13 MPH. On a 12 mile ride with about 800 feet of climb we might use 15% of our 625 watt batteries. On longer 18 mile rides with about 1600 feet of climb, I'd use about 30%, spouse would use about 20%. She's a stronger rider! So you can see we "overbought" for battery. There are other riders on these boards who love speed. For them, I suspect a 1000W battery wouldn't be enough.
First, I apologize for jumping in on someone else’s thread. But our decision-making processes have been similar and parallel (and unfortunately, even witnessing an awful and disturbing event on my way to my first test ride yesterday). It’s important for all who have taken their time to respond to know how much it has helped me. That said, I rode a LaFree yesterday and was SO impressed! As much as I’ve read, I still had no idea how it all came together on an actual ride! It was easy, smooth-riding, and practically silent. Wind was blowing pretty strong, and the shop guy said he was glad I was able to get a sense of the power by heading straight into it. SO impressive and fun! Today it’s the Vida w 500w battery. And yes; I’ll be sure the battery is easily removed and loaded!

@GoGranny51 my thread is your thread so no need to apologize. We are on similar paths and great to share all thoughts here so we can all learn and benefit. Sorry to hear that you too witnessed something disturbing.

Yes, I loved both the LaFree and Vida E+ bikes. I chose the Vida E+ simply because it shifted better and seemed even smoother than the LaFree. Oh and the weight distribution seemed better. Finally the price was very close to the LaFree. I know you will find the right bike for you. Good bike hunting!

@GoGranny51 my thread is your thread so no need to apologize. We are on similar paths and great to share all thoughts here so we can all learn and benefit. Sorry to hear that you too witnessed something disturbing.

Yes, I loved both the LaFree and Vida E+ bikes. I chose the Vida E+ simply because it shifted better and seemed even smoother than the LaFree. Oh and the weight distribution seemed better. Finally the price was very close to the LaFree. I know you will find the right bike for you. Good bike hunting!
Thanks so much Noobebiker and Go Granny 51, your experiences and reporting have been so valuable to me as I begin my e bike search. This will be my first e bike, and I too am a “senior” rider looking for a reliable and hill friendly ride.
As of a week ago I was set on buying on line, low priced, fat tires and hub motor. Thanks to this thread ,I am now looking ar mid drive, step through, skinnier tires, buy local with Momentum, Giant, Carbondale leading the pack. I have talked with Steve at Jolt Cycles in Uniontown PA, who is a very experienced cyclist, racer, engineer and business owner, and am confident I will do the purchase though Jolt.
Please keep us posted on your quest, and thanks again for helping me begin this two wheeled adventure.

@FWS EBK happy to have helped in any way. My advice is to ride as many bikes as you can of different types so you personally can judge which one(s) are right for you. While the advice and help I received on this site for many folks was very helpful, I found that riding the bikes myself helped me make the best decision. I rode 15 bikes before selecting the Vida E+. Good luck on your search and I’m sure you will enjoy what you end up with.

On that note, no word back from Giant to the LBS on a resolution to the bike’s battery issue (not being able to remove it from the bike) mentioned above. The LBS has offered a step-thru IZip Vida which I turned down and a step-thru (I believe it is actually a mid-step) Transend E+ instead of the Vida E+. I think they want a couple of hundred more for the Transend but we’re willing to cut me a deal. I will test ride it tomorrow to see if I like it (especially the mid-step part) and may take that one instead. It does have the bigger 500 Wh battery. We shall see. I’ll report back tomorrow with hopefully some good news.

@FWS EBK happy to have helped in any way. My advice is to ride as many bikes as you can of different types so you personally can judge which one(s) are right for you. While the advice and help I received on this site for many folks was very helpful, I found that riding the bikes myself helped me make the best decision. I rode 15 bikes before selecting the Vida E+. Good luck on your search and I’m sure you will enjoy what you end up with.

On that note, no word back from Giant to the LBS on a resolution to the bike’s battery issue (not being able to remove it from the bike) mentioned above. The LBS has offered a step-thru IZip Vida which I turned down and a step-thru (I believe it is actually a mid-step) Transend E+ instead of the Vida E+. I think they want a couple of hundred more for the Transend but we’re willing to cut me a deal. I will test ride it tomorrow to see if I like it (especially the mid-step part) and may take that one instead. It does have the bigger 500 Wh battery. We shall see. I’ll report back tomorrow with hopefully some good news.
Thanks so much Noobebiker and Go Granny 51, your experiences and reporting have been so valuable to me as I begin my e bike search. This will be my first e bike, and I too am a “senior” rider looking for a reliable and hill friendly ride.
As of a week ago I was set on buying on line, low priced, fat tires and hub motor. Thanks to this thread ,I am now looking ar mid drive, step through, skinnier tires, buy local with Momentum, Giant, Carbondale leading the pack. I have talked with Steve at Jolt Cycles in Uniontown PA, who is a very experienced cyclist, racer, engineer and business owner, and am confident I will do the purchase though Jolt.
Please keep us posted on your quest, and thanks again for helping me begin this two wheeled adventure.
Welcome! Learning about an ebike is , for sure, a journey of its own! I learned SO much from these forums and videos. Of course, shopping at this point in time has it’s drawbacks bc of supply issues. And unless you live in or near a good sized city, options of even test-riding bikes are minimal. I’ve been able to try only a very few bikes. But I’m so glad I had a base of knowledge, then a basis for comparison, when I eventually pulled the trigger. The Vida E+ is a good fit for me in that there are dealers for service issues close enough to where I’ll be using the bike, and it is very easy to use. Don’t have my bike yet, but I did finally purchased a bike rack yesterday. They, too, are in short supply. The lbs owner will assemble it (many complaints on Amazon about assembly) and install on my car. Learning about a rack is yet another interesting journey! Anyway, as of this moment, I have neither my bike nor rack! But soon…! Good luck with your journey, and please keep us posted. I’ll gladly answer any questions if I’m able!

Thanks!!! I’m really excited! Have you purchased a rack?
Not yet. I decided to wait until I actually got my hands on a bike to see if I needed one as I plan to ride mostly around our area. Looks like the bike will fit inside our SUV for transport. Which rack did you get?

Okay I think my purchasing journey is now over. I now have in my possession a blue 2021 mid step Momentum Transend E+ as Giant still cannot fix the battery issue on the Vida E+. A shame as I liked that bike slightly more than this one. Pros on the Transend: available now(!), 500Wh battery, faster (28 mph max), blue (light blue but much closer to my favorite color than white), came as a medium versus large (medium allows my wife and I to share the bike easier), and nicer hand grips. Cons: $300 more ($2500 versus $2200), gear shifting was a bit less natural (it was harder to shift up than the Vida), mid step versus step thru. The pros outweighed the cons especially the fact that the bike did not need any work on it to ride right now. The LBS even swapped seats between the two bikes for me as I liked the Vida seat better. Kudos to Fullerton Electric Bicycles for great customer service.

Now to get the bike up to our new place and try it out on the hills!

Okay I think my purchasing journey is now over. I now have in my possession a blue 2021 mid step Momentum Transend E+ as Giant still cannot fix the battery issue on the Vida E+. A shame as I liked that bike slightly more than this one. Pros on the Transend: available now(!), 500Wh battery, faster (28 mph max), blue (light blue but much closer to my favorite color than white), came as a medium versus large (medium allows my wife and I to share the bike easier), and nicer hand grips. Cons: $300 more ($2500 versus $2200), gear shifting was a bit less natural (it was harder to shift up than the Vida), mid step versus step thru. The pros outweighed the cons especially the fact that the bike did not need any work on it to ride right now. The LBS even swapped seats between the two bikes for me as I liked the Vida seat better. Kudos to Fullerton Electric Bicycles for great customer service.

Now to get the bike up to our new place and try it out on the hills!

Attachments

• 3C04A900-2F60-49C4-95CB-021F536424F2.jpeg
    3C04A900-2F60-49C4-95CB-021F536424F2.jpeg
    667.3 KB · Views: 176
Oh wow. I so hope you aren’t discourages about all this. I saw that bike and really liked it. But the lbs also had the Vida low step. So that was a better fit for me. Personally, I love the looks of your bike better than my pretty red one. The mid step would be my preference if I wasn’t my age and 5’5”. Same bike otherwise, just geared a bit differently I’m told. I know you are looking at the bright side of all this. And I hope you end up thinking fate led you to the correct bike!
I got a Kuat N2 base and a ramp. Having it put on my car tomorrow. I’ll get my bike next week. We’ll see how this goes. I’m on the road a lot and wanted the most reliable and user-friendly rack I could find. Hope I can keep it on my car. Downside is it’s heavy. Will keep you posted on my experience. FWS. EBK, will you be carrying your new bike much?

Thanks @GoGranny51. My wife thinks I ended up with the right bike too. It is quite a looker and I’m sure I’ll love it too. I might look into a bike rack to carry it but the bike did fit in our SUV with some effort. I don’t plan on transporting it around much at all.

Beautiful bike, congrats!

I noticed that you mentioned the bike will go 28mph... It's a class 3? Hope your LBS made you aware that class 3 bikes are generally banned from multi-use and paved bike trails, so you'll be riding solely roads and bike lanes on roads. Not an issue for many who intend that kind of riding (or for those who ignore the rules for whatever reason 😉), just mentioning it in case you were not aware.

I was aware but the bike doesn’t seem to have any markings that it is Class 3 so I intended to ride under 20 mph on any multi-use or paved bike trails I may happen upon. Hopefully I won’t have much of an issue.

Oops found the Class 3 marking! 🤓 I will just have to be careful in my riding. Not sure how much my local area cares about this regulation. Thanks for pointing that out.

Back