Starting my ebike purchase journey

You are so right - this area is gorgeous and we are so fortunate to live here now. My speed is around 4-5 mph at the steepest grades of around 13%. The effort required for even steeper grades is too much for me to handle right now. Even at 13%, I don’t last very long. I’m trying to build myself up slowly to manage these hills. Some neighbors who walk around quite a bit have suggested several routes around that aren’t so steep so I will try those. The area right around the house is steep so I have to conserve energy for those runs.

I forget which bike you have. I may have to consider all of these factors for my next bike. I see a Specialized Como 4.0 at the LBS that might work both in torque and gearing.
4-5 miles per hour on a 13% grade is very respectable. Anything under 3 m.p.h. puts you at risk for falling over if you do not pay attention. The other higher grades should be achievable once you get the lower gearing and build up your stamina.

I have a Trek Allant + 8s with the 625 battery. The standard front ring was 46 teeth and I changed it to 40 teeth. The rear cassette had 42 teeth and I changed it to 46 teeth. Most grades I encounter are up to 10%. Those are climbed at about 4-5 miles per hour in Sport Mode (60Nm). I have never had to use Turbo Mode (85Nm). My primary reason for purchasing an e-bike was to reduce the load on my knees. Both are bone on bone. I purposely geared it so low to minimize torque on my knees when climbing hills. I still can maintain a moving average of 13-15 m.p.h. which includes climbing hills.

The bike was expensive no question, but it has exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.

Appreciate the info. I’ll see what the gearing change does for me. For the future, I will look for 80NM+ torque and a standard derailleur with low gearing. I’ll update again once the gearing is changed. The LBS said that Giant still is saying that the “spider” adapter they need is not in stock right now.

Appreciate the info. I’ll see what the gearing change does for me. For the future, I will look for 80NM+ torque and a standard derailleur with low gearing. I’ll update again once the gearing is changed. The LBS said that Giant still is saying that the “spider” adapter they need is not in stock right now.
If you have the part #/ model#, brand, etc. sometimes you can do a Google search and find it at some of the online dealers quicker than sourcing through the manufacturer.

The LBS just got in a 38T that he says he can fit on the front ring. I will try that out on the ride back from the bike shop to home. I suspect that still won’t be enough but some calculations I’ve done make me think I can then get the rear changed to possibly a 21, 22, or 23 and then will do well with those changes. Next bike will be a bit stronger in torque and have a derailleur for greater flexibility.

The LBS just got in a 38T that he says he can fit on the front ring. I will try that out on the ride back from the bike shop to home. I suspect that still won’t be enough but some calculations I’ve done make me think I can then get the rear changed to possibly a 21, 22, or 23 and then will do well with those changes. Next bike will be a bit stronger in torque and have a derailleur for greater flexibility.
Get the largest possible gear on the rear.

Got the 38T installed on the front chainring and here are before and after rides. The first was to the shop and the second back home. I had to stop at the end as the grade became too hard for me on my driveway. Good news is that I made it half-way up the driveway. I’ll do a few more rides with this new gearing before deciding on the rear gearing.
45D34FC5-9DAF-4C42-8554-B2F8905A8495.jpeg

Attachments

• C4D438C0-CAB4-4D1A-8025-C18DCCFE38A2.jpeg
    C4D438C0-CAB4-4D1A-8025-C18DCCFE38A2.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 170
Got the 38T installed on the front chainring and here are before and after rides. The first was to the shop and the second back home. I had to stop at the end as the grade became too hard for me on my driveway. Good news is that I made it half-way up the driveway. I’ll do a few more rides with this new gearing before deciding on the rear gearing.View attachment 117637
So....did you get the rear cassette yet? - Jim

Not yet. I’ve been riding it with the 38T so far and can take 10% grade hills pretty well. Getting up my driveway is possible but still difficult. I may just give up on that as I’m not sure any changes would make that other than me losing weight and building muscle. I’ll try this out for a bit longer before any more changes.

Not yet. I’ve been riding it with the 38T so far and can take 10% grade hills pretty well. Getting up my driveway is possible but still difficult. I may just give up on that as I’m not sure any changes would make that other than me losing weight and building muscle. I’ll try this out for a bit longer before any more changes.
I realize this sounds like a broken record, however, improving your fitness will help but getting a much larger cassette will make your hill climbing so much easier.

So....any updates on your hill climbing adventures? Jim

Have only done one ride recently as we are busy prepping our old house for sale. I’m not up at our new place as much except to drop off some items we need moved into it.

Back