Standover height on Yamaha crosscore RC

Kind of you to reply :)
thought I was 5’10” but guess due to age I now seem to be 5’9”. I also have a Jupiter Summit (trail) e-bike and it seems the top bar is at 32” when I am standing and off the saddle so…yes my family jewels sort of rest there just a tad.

So darn, not 32 but instead 33” top Bar on the Crosscore, even with shoes will be not good lol. I have what I consider normal length arms for my body of (now) 33/34” waist and 30” inseam.

Here is a photo of the Jupiter, which the vendor says they no longer sell or can get spare batteries for; presently the display shows the battery is always full (won’t that be nice) thus I have to track how many miles I ride to sort of guess recharge time (maybe two rides of 15 miles each is my guess…seems to die out 10 miles into 3rd ride) with little to no throttle feature use (though have to admit a throttle is nice now and again even if it is cheating a bit).

I did a have local bike shop install a spare handlebar from a (since learned) damaged used LaFree bike (scan battery) plus put on taller steam and a Jupiter shock seat post. All in all it is not a bad ride though for certain a bit of a bend over riding affair vs my LaFree.

The Giant was my first e-bike and have put lots of miles on her, she is a Sherman tank build wise and weighs as much it seems. Very old-school layout, but it does have Yamaha Center, Drive motor :) which I love and always set to Auto mode.

I also have a very old, yet dear to me, Specialized Tri-cross bike, no battery, which is ultra light weight and love it. Used to ride it all the time but stopped riding for some time so hopped on the e-bike to get back into the grove.

Don’t know, maybe due to the endless Florida summer heat it seems I simply have not gone back to the tri-cross. Though have to say, there is something universal about riding a manual bike that’s light enough such that you feel you can actually just dance with the bike frame and the way it moves on the pavement.

Don’t know, maybe (for an e-bike) the Crosscore could in some small way be akin to such a feeling though granted it is not a light e-bike.

Last, do wonder if doing a Large frame might better fit one’s body…well mine..length size. Had seen on a video or comment on youtube someone felt the Yamaha’s were built more for Japan body sizes vs Americans. Don’t really know the answer to that thought.
It’s a great bike at a great deal. Sounds like you are a medium see if they will order the right size

Not sure what to do…
So, dropped by the outfitter canoe shop in Saint Pete, Florida and Tom was setting up a couple of large crosscore RC bikes. He had just finished building one and allowed me to sit on it as well as prop myself on the seat with my left hand on a bench.

Was surprised I could then straddle it flat footer (butt off the seat), granted my family jewels were resting on the top frame but still…my feet were flat on the ground wearing Birkenstocks sandals. He did feel, based on my body layout that a medium would be too small for me so got luckly on size I ordered it seems.

A few questions please and thank you
1. He suggested maybe a 2” stem riser as I indicated the bars were too low for my liking. Figure it would then still be very low bar height somewhat; maybe more so then my revised Summit bars/riser (it now uses a Giant Lafree handle bar (sort of a raised pull back beach bar somewhat).

Does anyone know what size bar stem, diameter size, to order (if that is the right name and specs I am asking for it)? I could order from Amazon or my local Giant dealer (which if right size might have one in stock) else order tonight if anyone has suggestion. Would like one that allows it to be rotated back a bit as well.

2. Wonder if I am chasing my tail just for a free 2nd battery? Even with a 5 year warranty on frame, motor, and battery Plus that way cool burn orange color I am liking. Frame looks sweet likewise.

Though my Jupiter Summit brand dealers no longer sells spare batteries, the one on my bike is probably 2 to 3 years old though less then say 300 miles on it. Maybe I charged it like 3 to 4 times (yes figure that was bad on my part instead of keeping it charged).
Second owner and as indicated prior have put steam riser, seat shock, and pull back bars on it (items installed within the last month or so).
It rides fine though it has not Auto ride mode and one must bend a bit over (not a lot) to reach the bars; more so then on my Giant bike (which is a class 2 ride). Maybe the Summit being Class 3 plus throttle sort of makes up for no Auto mode a bit.

Realize that does not tell us anything battery wise though for discussion let us say it is in good shape. No way that I know of to test battery health on that bike.m Plus honestly, with the price of spare batteries I cannot see the value of buying one even if I could get one for the Summit.

It seems, from the limited details I tossed in a chart there is not a lot of differences per say between my Summit and the Crosscore RC (well the summit does fold and has a throttle as well). The folding part really caught my eye and was part of reason for purchasing it used from a lady. Plus I think the Summit frame design is sort of cool, including orange’ish coloring a bit :). Guess you can guess I like orange.

The white and green RCs at the shop were nice and likewise figure my burnt orange will be just as nice (told him not to take it out of the box yet). They did have that other model, Wabash RT in Large at the shop though on the Yamaha I no longer see it for sale at a sale price.

Have probably the rest of this week before I need to tell him to send it back unboxed or pick it up. Just uncertain of my need to have a RC type bike and if I could live with those low narrow bars honestly.

Presently I do not grab one of my e-bikes and cruise out and about around town to shops or to eat. Guessing maybe the RC is well suited for that roll though. I mostly am just a get up before 6am type of rider and do a 15 mile e-bike ride mostly around a set route through lots of streets (very few cars actually) then back home. Verses doing a straight 7 miles out in one direction and then back same way home.

Probably makes me a boring e-bike rider but it is for exercise and losing my belly fat. If I can get below 200, presently around 211 would be nice. And for the most part have been riding daily.

I realize in the end it is my call though was figuring if I shared a bit about myself, my e-bikes and related feelings about each and bar layouts this could help guide any input received.

Thanks in advance for reading and thoughts. If a current RC owner please mention that in reply. It does seem strange to pickup a bike at a ibike from a canoe shop, but I guess that’s just the way it is in some states and at least in Tampa Bay Florida.

p.s.
The upside to the Yamaha bike for me are:
Yamaha mid-drive motor; with Auto mode
Front suspension (though a cheap brand; not certain if it is oil, spring or other)
Price since 2nd battery is free (if 2nd battery has extended shelf life if one never charges it (for example until 1st one dies).
Seems there might be a yamaha phone app one can download though st pete person did not know what it is if such is availabel for apple or android.
Plus I do like the slim look of the crosscore though know rear rack if still available will will be very expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_2958.jpeg
    IMG_2958.jpeg
    903 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2954.jpeg
    IMG_2954.jpeg
    642.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3658.png
    IMG_3658.png
    491.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Rode the Jupiter Summit this morning. It reminded me how that bikes tech worked. It is a PSA though too no Auto mode. As many riders may know, this means one plays with the PSA level and front and/or rear settings to get the right mix so one is actually able to peddle all the time instead of say peddle then coast; due to the PSA sending so much power that you don’t keep up else ride too fast.

It is doable, with a learning curve. This bike is geared very tall (if I am saying that right). Best for dirt riding it seems. Need to keep front in 2nd or 3rd sprocket plus adjust rear sprockets setting as needed. At least the chain/gear/sprocket combo seems to work well. And with the slightly bent over riding position is not too bad since it now has wide and pull back bars with stem riser in place.

Thinking, even though I cannot locate ANY actual Yamaha ‘bicycle’ shop dealer in the State of Florida I will purchase it.

Good brand mid-drive motors cost at lot I figure. That along with that now expired discounted and free battery makes it worth the risk. The Crosscore RC is not an high end model. Mostly I figure, maybe just a good lite weight frame and good motor along with solid cell tech batteries and 5 year warranty.

Will need to spend $ for rear fender/rack (now out of stock on Yamaha site) plus change out bars and add 2” rider steam. Leaning towards picking up the bike this week even with those additional cost.

If someone has a dealer that has in stock the rear rack/fender combo please advise.

Though it seems, might be mistaken, some other e-bike brands (well know ones at least) are starting to offer ‘free battery’ with purchase and some models offer Belt drive, which I sort of like. Plus many seem to be having sales all the time now days.

Also, though much more expensive, are some bikes that might auto shift to keep cadence at a constant level with a special tech on rear wheel and/or maybe contained within drive motor.

Might swing by a Specialized dealer today and get a reality check on what such a bike might cost, which I’m guessing is at least an additional $2,000 dollars over the 1299 I paid before tax for the RC (and that does not even take into account the free battery).

Ride safe all

Last edited:
Figure this might be my last post unless others have some input/insights. I need to tell them tomorrow if I want them to build the bike, ready a few days later, or have them arrange to return it for free.

I did purchase attached top mount thread less adjustable stem, my Giant shop said it would work on the RC so can at least take it down to eye how it might look on an RC they probably have built in the shop already. Yamaha said more rear fender in stock in a bit.

They do have a Large Wabash RT at the shop, nice shade of light blue sort of. Thinking that is like $1,600 on sale (not sure if it too comes with a spare battery). A post on the forum talked about headset rattle (don’t know if that means from the front suspension forks are not on some models of yamaha e-bikes.

It is starting to worry me that yamaha does not really seem to have a dealer network of bicycle shops and instead just uses small businesses that sell other things else does the e-bikes just as a side thing and not reach have tech knowledge about e-bikes.

Last, since the bike now comes with a 5 year warranty I sort of wonder just how many years one wants to keep a bike anyway before they wish to change out for a different one for some newer tech, for example.

Attachments

• IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 37
You might want to make sure that you have enough slack in the cables to accommodate the stem riser and width/type handlebars that you want to use. I was only able to use a 90mm adjustable riser on my gravel bike because of the cable length limitations. The picture that you posted of the white bike doesn't look like there is a lot of cable slack.
1726694848624.png
Regarding fenders and rack, the bike frame/mounts look standard so it appears that you shouldn't be limited to the Yamaha specific accessory.

Good to know Emgx, thank you. I did find some old fenders (specialized metal and some plastic ones) laying around so will take them down on off chance they could work (plastic ones might not be wide enough for the CS tires. Also have a rear rack with bag though with such things one does not know if it comes with mounting hardware long enough to attach is my guess.

Will give it all to Tom and he can eye it plus if he has a Large CS in shop can eye that way as well. Should I take it home, once built, will see how she rides and if my body can fit the layout with stock bars (else replacement ones if cables are long enough). Roll of the dice I figure so far as fit goes once on the road somewhat unless you can demo ride one.

Guess I could call Yamaha and ask, once built if I could demo ride it and if not happy give it back for return (doubtful lol).
Figure so long as the front end does not rattle thinking all the rest of the bike should be tight and sound..fingers crossed.

Well, was not per say, a fan of a Throttle on an e-bike. Felt like cheating a bit or a lot. Plus, even if using it just now and again feels like I am not exercising. Flash forward to my early morning e-bike ride today…the Giant LaFree back tire was going flat (yet again…just happened say two ago) so had to circle back and take the Jupiter Summit out.

Well now I am a fan of having a throttle on an e-bike cause when the raining is starting to come down it made me happy to use the throttle to get back home right quick. If my next e-bike I get has one I will have to admit I have become a e-bike ‘exercise’ failure lol.

Well, was not per say, a fan of a Throttle on an e-bike. Felt like cheating a bit or a lot. Plus, even if using it just now and again feels like I am not exercising. Flash forward to my early morning e-bike ride today…the Giant LaFree back tire was going flat (yet again…just happened say two ago) so had to circle back and take the Jupiter Summit out.

Well now I am a fan of having a throttle on an e-bike cause when the raining is starting to come down it made me happy to use the throttle to get back home right quick. If my next e-bike I get has one I will have to admit I have become a e-bike ‘exercise’ failure lol.
My torque-sensing hub-drive has a progressive throttle that just adds instant controllable power to whatever the assist and rider are doing at the time. Find this to be a very versatile power delivery system that does nothing to discourage pedaling.

In fact, I always pedal with effort but still find many handy uses for the throttle — especially for instant bursts of speed in traffic. So mine gets a good bit of use in this largely urban/suburban area, but generally only a second or two at a time ON TOP of pedaling.

Then came the day my chain broke. Won't tell you how far I walked the bike before realizing that I could just throttle home.

Also have a mid-drive sans throttle. It certainly gets by without, but plenty of times I miss that instant second or two of extra help.

Last edited:
Indeed, going from a dead stop or up a slight incline or just once in a blue moon when you want to twist and zip…even if just for a moment or two…it is bliss having a throttle. And for certain if you want to get home quick do to rain drops falling on your head.

I have mixed feelings about pas bikes that do not offer an Auto mode. My limited experience, as in 1 e-bike the Jupiter Summit that has pas and throttle feature.

My guess is each manufacturer, else bike brand seller, either sell what they get or designs else has a say in the design of motor put on each model. My thinking is some do a better job of dialing in the individual pas levels then others. Thinking I have read the eco+, first level on the yamaha motor, gives a very very small amount of assist. Course, if put in Auto mode that does not come into play.

My Summit pas does what it does. Meaning pas 1 gives too much power unless I move to a higher gear range, and in pas 2 even higher gear range as the bIke’s motor does not offer an Auto mode. Thinking reason is the bike was designed to go play in the dirt or mountain roads (forget the term used for it…maybe fire roads).

If they sold the bike as a city bike figure their pas levels would be tuned more for city power needed (aka not as much in each pas level). Again, my first throttle bike so could be mistaken.

Well, I did it. The shop said any bike they get cannot send back to Yamaha plus cannot pay the discounted selling pirce to Yamaha. Thus I took the bike.

Thought the guy that puts them together was going to be there today so I could show him my handlebar stem extenders but the bike was already built. Figure I can Google how to change it out. I did get a short one as well in case I need it instead of the longer one.

At any rate, I find it unbelievable, not that they told me that Yamaha would force them to retail it at the prior higher price, Rather, I infer their shop would likewise have to pay a higher price for bike received If one did not want it.

I could have gotten that info wrong though if true not very fair to a bike shop trying to sell bikes. Granted it is not their bread and butter. Actually during covid, by selling bikes, they were allowed to stay open in Florida so it saved their business actually :).
A win-win event :)

If anyone is considering the Yamaha line that is on sale you can put the bike in your cart and enter your zip code. That will let you know whom in the area sells them and maybe you can drop by and check them out if they have some customers bikes. Then see what the colors look like plus maybe sit on one or two to determine best size.

I probably should have checked to see if they had a medium to stand over but hoping the large size will work out in the end. Plus hope my orange color is not over the top…well guess it is mostly lol. The sage green might be a good inbetween color to go with actually.

Will find out if I can live, and not kill myself, riding with those very short low bars. Seems to be a thing now days so maybe there is something to it.
Considered the drop bars of the Wabash and that other white colored dirt model but have an old analog (ha ha) non e-bike with those bars and at my age do not wish a new bike with them.
Ride safe all

Last edited:
I have the orange bike and my daughter has the green They are both gorgeous. The green is a flat finish and the orange is shiny and has some sparkles in the paint. I am getting used to the bigger geometry

I installed a dropper post and that was a game changer for me. At every stop I drop my saddle so I can plant both feet squarely on the ground while seated, instead of straddling the sloping top tube with zero clearance. A great safety feature.
Also, long descents are very comfortable with the saddle lowered just a tad, lowering your center of gravity for better control.

I installed a dropper post and that was a game changer for me. At every stop I drop my saddle so I can plant both feet squarely on the ground while seated, instead of straddling the sloping top tube with zero clearance. A great safety feature.
Also, long descents are very comfortable with the saddle lowered just a tad, lowering your center of gravity for better control.
This was one of the options offered to me but with a slight lean of the bike to the right I feel a little more comfortable. Which dropper did you get ? Does it have a shock absorber too like the wabash rt? Is it internally routed?

This was one of the options offered to me but with a slight lean of the bike to the right I feel a little more comfortable. Which dropper did you get ? Does it have a shock absorber too like the wabash rt? Is it internally routed?
I got the PNW Components Cascade dropper with external routing, no shock absorber.

Back