Yamaha battery seems difficult to source and is a tad expensive....

Once that battery is gone, its probably gone forever. This is the reason I am staying completely away from any bike with a slick in-built proprietary battery. When the battery goes the bike is junk. Probably not even sellable. We already see this happening with ebikes whose manufacturers have gone belly up.
You can build and use custom battery with Yamaha system, or you can purchase an aftermarket battery for Yamaha, or you can rebuild the original Yamaha battery with new cells and new BMS, it was hacked.

How do you test capacity on old Yamaha batteries? I have a 7+ year old external one on my 2017 Haibike, which still has excellent range but I'd love to know more precisely what's left.

Maybe Giant's app? Of course that wouldn't work on my Haibike 🤔
For Giant, I just do a full charge on the battery and when I turn on the bike it only says 97%. My Specialized Creo is a little different, it still says 100% but when I actually use the bike, I konk out at 98% so I know I lost 2% over the last 4 years.

How do you test capacity on old Yamaha batteries? I have a 7+ year old external one on my 2017 Haibike, which still has excellent range but I'd love to know more precisely what's left.

Maybe Giant's app? Of course that wouldn't work on my Haibike 🤔

Im going to buy the Aftermarket 500wh battery from ebay, 206 quid, which is very cheap indeed, in fact throw it in the bin if its a dog..cheap.

I cant get ebay to produce the correct link, theres one for 203 anyway.

It might be hard to put into the trash bin if its on fire :) I try to never, ever look for a price deal on batteries and only buy from vendors whose reputation I have already vetted independently.

But if you are stuck in a proprietary platform, I get how thats a tough spot to be in or get out of.

Back