ST2 Maintenance, modifications, accessories, gadgets

Streumer

This weekend had some time to produce some accessories, gadgets:

Please share yours

Stromer T shirt
Vinyl frame protector (chain)
Magura brake handle pin extractor (no picture)
see:

7A7JjDWl.jpg

gA4l0KHl.jpg

Already made a charger wall bracket
see:
http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/wall-bracket-charger-st2.2961/

I have been thinking about a battery cover to keep it warm while riding in cold.
Perhaps, a 1/8" thin neoprene to cover the battery compartment?
Perhaps you could make two and I will be happy to purchase one from you :)

I have some toughts about the neoprene insulation cover as the most cold will be transported
from the "naked" aluminium frame, of course it will help but effective ??????
Something to think about, maybe someone have an old surf/wetsuite, laptop bag to refit and give it a try?

Busy project(s)

Small battery dummy to ride without bat and keep the bat cover closed.
Made some progress as with the first des!gn i've seen a closed
battery door without a bat seems promising.
Still noting to ride with.

Pending project(s)

To replace the vinyl chain protector (see above) a click-on 3 d printed part
something like the fabric protector from ST1

Last edited:
I have been thinking about a battery cover to keep it warm while riding in cold.

How would you insulate a battery that's inside the frame? Is there a bunch of extra room in there?

I do think getting the metal battery shell away from the frame would reduce losses; the frame is basically going to stay at ambient in the wind. But I wonder if the battery ever really heats up in the first place? Is there anything worth insulating really? Maybe one that was charging inside where it was warm before heading out?

It would be interesting to think about an active heating system, like big packs on cars use, to try to bring the battery into a better thermal regime when riding. Using regen to heat could be a better win than trying to put the electricity back into the battery, too. Let's see: 150 pound rider on a 50 pound bike going 20mph. That's about 2Wh of kinetic energy. It takes about 60Wh to raise 10 pounds of water 20 degrees, which is about how much we'd want to bring a near-freezing battery up to get better performance. If we assume the battery is about the same, and we an ideal heat transfer mechanism, and we have a perfect insulative sleeve like you've suggested, then about 100 hard stops could bring a cold battery up. Well, good luck! :)

This reminds me a little bit of when I had one of the first Tesla Roadsters. At the time, they'd tested it mostly in California, where it must have been warm and flat all the time, and instead I lived on the top of a mountain in Colorado. My commute was straight down hill for 15 miles and 3000 vertical feet. In the morning on very cold days, even when the battery was not topped off from having charged overnight, the car would not regen, because of course putting energy into lithium chemistries at low temperatures is really rough on the battery. This meant I had to ride the brakes the whole way down the mountain, which was about as fun as you could imagine -- not to mention really annoying to the people behind me who had to watch the bozo in the fancy sports car light up the brakes the whole way down instead of downshifting like a normal person.

My solution was to learn to hold down the accelerator AND the brake at the same time, thereby pulling lots of energy out of the pack and heating up the whole thing quickly. After a minute or two of that, regen was good to go! My brakes, alas, were probably not. (Tesla did eventually add a pre-heat option to get the car to bring itself up before the drive, upon request. And they replaced my brakes.)

Busy project(s)

Small battery dummy to ride without bat and keep the bat cover closed.
Made some progress as with the first des!gn i've seen a closed
battery door without a bat seems promising.
Still noting to ride with.

Project progresses

As there still is a design issue on the batterydoor:
can't be closed properly while battery is not inserted, riders closed the door with velcro, tape, ducktape, rubber band or other what i found not convenient.
Befor des!gning a solution I had to find out why the bat was needed to close?
The answer is: a part of the locking mechanisme is on the battery.
Des!gn a battery dummy was the solution.
You can see my first des!gn and also working model, for now it's made in 2 parts and bolted this is only done to save printing time and filament while prototyping.

xRfS6uwl.jpg
keXJqnfl.jpg

Last edited:
I installed a seat post from Suntour the SP 12 NCX this evening and had no info on the torque
it must be installed, not to overtighten I preset 5Nm on the torch wrench.
someone know the exact value?
The saddle was between 15-18 Nm (marked on the SP)

If someone get more info on the torque setting for the whole bike, your welcome.

Thanks

Report on 26/03

Very nice seatpost, very good suspension for his prize

Quality of the brass bushings: LOW
Much wear and brass particles found on the seatpost and in the neoprene cover.
Disassembled all rods and greased.
Noticed misallignment from the rods/bushings

I think extensive maintenance is needed replace the bushings
will be needed within a few months, I will concider to make
new bushing in a other material, bronze or special nylon.

Last edited:
Nebster ,I saw my 1st. Tesla Roadster at the post office yesterday. A silver one, nice ! Production is to resume in a few yrs.

Started a taillight project

Installed today a Supernova E3 taillight I had here for a few months, after a couple
ideas for original places, here one who was worth a try.

This was the location who didn't won on the Racktime, asI like minimalistic des!gns I didn't succeed with this one.

OZ7jNplm.jpg

First attempt seems to be alright.
Still not connected to the bat but tested with a stabilized power supply.

Have to des!gn something to fill the empty space from the original light/reflector plate
and find a place for the reflective tape (law issue).

to be continued.

Etk3h0gm.jpg

Here some progress

Des!gned a backplate for the 3M reflective tape
From the same des!gn made a svg file for the cutter to make a fitting
and integrated reflective part

qrcm6Vbm.jpg

Last edited:
Have to des!gn something to fill the empty space from the original light/reflector plate
and find a place for the reflective tape (law issue).

to be continued.

Here the infill for the empty space a first des!gn came out of the printer
The backgroud is the reflective tape but a led or luminecent insert could be possible.

cKDRhI5l.jpg

Last edited:
I would bet they could sell a few units that do this charging.

The most suppliers fear the very dynamic voltage of a e-bike with regen function. Even Supernova - who feed their LED from the battery - goes the other way:
http://www.supernova-store.com

BTW: The USB plug was first developed by a company located very close to Supernova
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Made a new mod
Removed the gear indicators (don't use them) and changed with caps

BiXwuhNl.jpg

Can you tell us more about this mod? I'm interested in removing my indicators as well. Is it fairly easy? Where did you get the plugs? Did you print them yourself? I'm working on a handlebar mod and the indicators are a real eyesore so I really your solution. Can you enlighten us? thanks in advance.

Back