ST1x Advice

hebs

I am contemplating getting an ST1x, and would love advice from those who have this bike in a few specific areas:

1) How far can you reasonably go on the stock 618wh battery at top (3) assist level? I live in San Francisco, so a hilly city comparison would be great. If I get the bike, I am debating the stock battery vs the 814wh upgrade. (or possibly waiting patiently to see if I can find someone selling a lightly used battery; got lucky with my Bosch battery that way but it seems Stromers are less prevalent in the US, so guessing it's a long shot)

2) Has anyone felt the need to add a suspension seat post?

3) Any complaints about the bike from those who have it? I have been reading this forum in particular but just wondering if there is anything not already said...

Thanks!

If you are going to be doing a bunch of riding in SF, I'd recommend the bigger battery. Between the hills, the stop lights and signs, and the wind, the bike will use a lot of power if you are on 3 all the time. I've got the 1kW battery and live on the south end of town. My longest ride on 2 has been to Tiburon and back over the bridge (47 miles) and I just barely made it back (7% left). I routinely will do 20-30 miles at a time just putzing around the city. It's much more pleasant than driving when it's not raining and often faster.

I purchased my ST2 at New Wheel and they've been great. The last Omni software upgrade did brick my ability to connect remotely but they fixed it pretty quickly. Otherwise, the bike has been flawless.

After test driving the R&M and Gazelle's, I felt the Stromer offered a much more natural feel and it's very quiet. Plus, I found it to be quicker. I commute on the bike and am routinely at 28mph for extended periods without a lot of extra effort.

For the city, I would invest in the suspension seat post. I've ridden over a lot of pot holes and seem to run into every road resurfacing project in town.

Thanks sfgator - this is super helpful. I will definitely go w/ the 800kwh battery but this makes me think I should upgrade further! Will also look into the suspension seat post, but was also considering a dropper seat post to accommodate my wife and me. Not sure if they make dropper suspension posts.

1) How far can you reasonably go on the stock 618wh battery at top (3) assist level?

If possible, buy the largest battery. This allows you max. sensor setting - and prolonged the time of use while the battery degrades.

The ST1x is the only Stromer with narrow tires and rigid alu fork. A BodyFloat (no other cheap stuff) might help.

Keep in mind, the ST1x is the last model with 26" wheels, all new models have 27½".

Thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering the bike and did get the max battery. I will also look into the BodyFloat, provided I can't find a good dropper suspension post.

I can't find a good dropper suspension post.

Stromer use them in their test bikes, so there must be some on the market.

1579941810360.png

Oh interesting! Does anybody know what brand they are? I can also try to email Stromer to find out as well.

If possible, buy the largest battery. This allows you max. sensor setting - and prolonged the time of use while the battery degrades.

The ST1x is the only Stromer with narrow tires and rigid alu fork. A BodyFloat (no other cheap stuff) might help.

Keep in mind, the ST1x is the last model with 26" wheels, all new models have 27½".

How would you compare the 26 wheel models with the 27.5 ones?

Also the new St1 comes with 500wh if I am not mistaken, isn't it too small (it is less than almost all of your older models).

How would you compare the 26 wheel models with the 27.5 ones?

Step 1) Like everybody does: From the paper values. This is easy to do and for the most people sufficient - they can compare with the paper values of other e bikes.

Step 2) I ride all the models. This is obviously a more complex and time consuming process. My test rides were for selected models over 1'500km. With this, I have a very deep and detailed impression of the Stromer e bikes.

For step 1) Go to stromerbike.com selcte your country and read the tech specs. The right address for the second step will be your Stromer dealer. Test the various models on your daily commute.

Step 1) Like everybody does: From the paper values. This is easy to do and for the most people sufficient - they can compare with the paper values of other e bikes.

Step 2) I ride all the models. This is obviously a more complex and time consuming process. My test rides were for selected models over 1'500km. With this, I have a very deep and detailed impression of the Stromer e bikes.

For step 1) Go to stromerbike.com selcte your country and read the tech specs. The right address for the second step will be your Stromer dealer. Test the various models on your daily commute.

You got my question wrong. I was asking about your thoughts on st1x/st2 vs new st1/st3/st5.

I tried st3/5 and liked them. Although I felt the ride to be harsh at times due to no suspension.

You got my question wrong. I was asking about your thoughts on st1x/st2 vs new st1/st3/st5.

OK; if Stromer would make a 911 series, the ST2s would be the GT3 and the ST5 the turbo.

The ST1x is the most harsh, with the rigid alu fork and narrow tires. The ST2 had a carbon fork with more flexibility - and was fully equipped. So, the ST1x was an option if money counts. With shorter wheelbase and more narrow handlebar, they were made for city traffic. Agile, able to pass between car lines in the traffic jam.

All 27½" have different steering angle. The ST1 feels closest to the old 26". The riding feeling especially on the ST5 is really different. It's more smooth, but with the large handlebar you'll need some more space on the road.

In my case, I didn't miss a suspension fork. But this depends on the road you commute, the speed you ride and our subjective impression. However, you have the option for the Wren USD fork. This construction is ahead of may be all competitors: USD technology like on motorcycles and no change in the bike geometry!

Overall, the new 27½ are more comfortable and ST1 and ST3 offering broad variety of stem/handlebar.

The impression of the difference is even bigger in real life than on the picture:

1581242433383.png

OK; if Stromer would make a 911 series, the ST2s would be the GT3 and the ST5 the turbo.

The ST1x is the most harsh, with the rigid alu fork and narrow tires. The ST2 had a carbon fork with more flexibility - and was fully equipped. So, the ST1x was an option if money counts. With shorter wheelbase and more narrow handlebar, they were made for city traffic. Agile, able to pass between car lines in the traffic jam.

All 27½" have different steering angle. The ST1 feels closest to the old 26". The riding feeling especially on the ST5 is really different. It's more smooth, but with the large handlebar you'll need some more space on the road.

In my case, I didn't miss a suspension fork. But this depends on the road you commute, the speed you ride and our subjective impression. However, you have the option for the Wren USD fork. This construction is ahead of may be all competitors: USD technology like on motorcycles and no change in the bike geometry!

Overall, the new 27½ are more comfortable and ST1 and ST3 offering broad variety of stem/handlebar.

The impression of the difference is even bigger in real life than on the picture:

View attachment 45429

Is it possible to add a suspension front fork to ST5/ST3 other than the Wren USD?

I also heard someone saying one of the causes of the harshness is the tires are inflated too much. Can you run these tires around 35-45psi ? Especially front one, when I tried it it was really harsh at times.

Is it possible to add a suspension front fork to ST5/ST3 other than the Wren USD?

I also heard someone saying one of the causes of the harshness is the tires are inflated too much. Can you run these tires around 35-45psi ? Especially front one, when I tried it it was really harsh at times.

a) No, not on the ST5, but (not authorized and not recommended) maybe on the ST3. Before you decide to invest, make a test ride on your daily route.

b) Excerpt from the manual: "Für Stromer Reifen der Dimension 57–584 (ST1 54–584) werden 2.2 Bar / 32 psi als Betriebsdruck empfohlen."

If you go below this values, you may risk damage of the sidewalls. Otherwise, there is no reason to exceed 3 Bar. The rolling resistance will be overpowered by the motor.

Any recommendations on Front suspension forks for the st1x? I really need them The roads here in Michigan are horrendous ! My wrists are killing me.

I put schwalbe super motox (26 x 2.4) on both my old ST1 and my ST1X. It takes some minor mods to the fenders but the improvement in ride is worth the effort.

I'm a ST2 owner and just purchased a ST1X for my wife. Any other opinions about shocks for this bike. I have them for my ST2 and they make a huge difference to my ride.

Thinking of going the seat post shock route as well, but would like something upfront.

Re bluecats statement re psi - I've found a big difference in performance - speed and agility - by simple keeping my tires inflated to the maximum suggest psi. This will make your ride a bit more rough however. I do think that the larger tires will "roll" better and more efficiently over bumps etc.

Tried out the ST5 at their Paris location last year - It does have quite a different driving feel as compared to my ST2. Because of the congestion of the Paris' streets I was never able to really "open her up" thus I never really experience the true potential of this model. But heck, I've never ridden a Stromer yet that wasn't a blast to ride!

Been thinking about the same thing for my ST1x—the blue dream needs front suspension, but I’m not sure what to get. And my LBS is pretty clueless about Stromer; I’d have to find my way to The New Wheel in SF to get help I could trust

I gotta say, if anyone is reading this who’s considering the ST1x due to the great sales prices that one can find online, take the plunge! It’s super fast, super fun, and it hauls my 6-5 265 lb behind up and own Bay Area hills with aplomb. And it seems to attract attention when I’m on bike trails—the good kind! My wife’s Riese and Mueller Nevo 3 isn’t nearly as effortlessly quick .
BE11EEF9-03AC-4F2D-B338-A4F7EC012EB7.jpeg

I am contemplating getting an ST1x, and would love advice from those who have this bike in a few specific areas:

1) How far can you reasonably go on the stock 618wh battery at top (3) assist level? I live in San Francisco, so a hilly city comparison would be great. If I get the bike, I am debating the stock battery vs the 814wh upgrade. (or possibly waiting patiently to see if I can find someone selling a lightly used battery; got lucky with my Bosch battery that way but it seems Stromers are less prevalent in the US, so guessing it's a long shot)

3) Any complaints about the bike from those who have it? I have been reading this forum in particular but just wondering if there is anything not already said...

Thanks!
I have a St1x and I absolutely love it. I can get around 60 miles on the stock battery. I usually keep it in assist level 2 and pedal nearly all the time. It has cruise control, sort of...but I just keep peddling. There's no hills near me so that will definitely play a role in your mileage. As far as the seat post, I purchased the kinekt suspension seat post before my bike even arrived and wow! What a difference! I have 4 ebikes and when I tried to ride one of my other bikes without the seat post, it was horrible. But now I have seat post shims for all my other bikes, so I can just swap out the seat posts. One thing I will definitely recommend is buying front suspension forks. I was able to get an incredible deal on ebay for a Stromer brand suspension fork. I went on ebay but I changed my location to Sweden and I only paid $250 for my forks. What a difference! This thing rides so smooth its crazy! I love my Stromer! I've attached a couple pictures, one is my bike, the other is my son riding it.

Attachments

• 20200920_202636.jpg
    20200920_202636.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot_20201022-142032_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201022-142032_Photos.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 386
Back