ST1 Platinum Display Issues

Ron

Hi all, I purchased an ST1 Platinum this past Saturday and it is having some issues with the display. When disconnect the battery and turn on the display, the display works correctly and has no issues. However, when I insert the battery into the bike and turn on the display, the display is no longer legible. With the battery plugged in the digital display cannot be read, only if I tilt the display at a 45 degree angle. I checked the display cables for any debris but the display stayed the same. Since the display works correctly without the battery plugged in, I doubt the display is the issue. My thoughts are that the issue may be with one of the wires or the battery but so far I am unable to fix it. I attached pictures of the display.

Attachments

• 2015-02-16 11.14.03.jpg
    2015-02-16 11.14.03.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 818
  • 2015-02-16 11.14.14.jpg
    2015-02-16 11.14.14.jpg
    939.5 KB · Views: 545
  • 2015-02-16 11.17.07.jpg
    2015-02-16 11.17.07.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,447
Ron please continue this on a private message (conversation) Despite your feelings that it may be a battery of connection from my experience it is likely the display itself. We will be glad to send you a replacement display at no cost to you. We will need the defective unit back so we can send it in to Stromer for warrantee after your new one arrives. If you already checked the connections you are aware that it is an easy procedure to change out the display and I can walk you through that. One hint is to plug in the new display to check everything is okay before mounting, we will of course test the replacement to make sure it operates correctly before we send it first. Alternatively I believe you have a local Stromer dealer since this is warrantee work they can help you immediately if they have the displays in stock. Let me know via private message or a call how you want to proceed. I am sorry you are having problems with your new bike, I am anxious to help you get your issue resolved.

Hi all, I purchased an ST1 Platinum this past Saturday and it is having some issues with the display. When disconnect the battery and turn on the display, the display works correctly and has no issues. However, when I insert the battery into the bike and turn on the display, the display is no longer legible. With the battery plugged in the digital display cannot be read, only if I tilt the display at a 45 degree angle. I checked the display cables for any debris but the display stayed the same. Since the display works correctly without the battery plugged in, I doubt the display is the issue. My thoughts are that the issue may be with one of the wires or the battery but so far I am unable to fix it. I attached pictures of the display.

Ron,
It could be because of the voltage sag due to extreme cold! or could be something wrong with the display contrast.
On some BH bikes, the battery indicator on the display blinks for a few minutes once you top off the battery. But either way, this is something we can fix easily.
Please call Henry or Rich. Thanks

Last edited:
I am interested in the repair , just in general as a Stromer owner. This the internet so the tone of this question is hard to read so let me say this is not an attacking or with any bad intentions but why go to personal message to see how this repair plays out?

Mark

I am interested in the repair , just in general as a Stromer owner. This the internet so the tone of this question is hard to read so let me say this is not an attacking or with any bad intentions but why go to personal message to see how this repair plays out?

Mark

Mark, this is not about hiding anything.
Ron purchased a ST1 from our store on Saturday and Rich spent more than an hour helping him pick the right bike. Rich obviously feels bad that a new bike has some display problems.
We ensure that our bike owners have "Zero" down time. For any repairs requiring more than a few day, we offer them free loaner E-bikes (not the cheap kind).
Small issues like display, brakes can take away the excitement that comes with a new E-bike and Rich just wants to fix this problem ASAP.
Thanks for understanding.

Mark,
To help keep this forum informative to the general user I asked Ron to go to private message. I agree with Court on this point. Ron is one of my customers and we needed to exchange personal and business details that are not suitable or appropriate to discuss in the public forum. As far as details of the repair it involves a simple replacement of the display assembly. I have found through experience that occasionally (very rare, less than .1%) display units have had an issue with contrast making the selection of options difficult. Although the display will function properly and allow selection it is very difficult to see what you have chosen. ex. tour,sport mode. Since it was extremely cold (-22F) the day Ron tested and purchased his ST1 we attributed the difficulty to the cold since some shadowing was apparent which can happen on LCD displays. Since the difficulty persisted when he got home and the unit was in normal temps I determined that the display is likely the fault. We will send him a replacement at no charge under warrantee, and he will return the suspect to us. We will in turn send the unit to Stromer to assist them in product development to see if this was a fluke or if changes are needed in production or design. While many times on the forum you hear of the problems that arise it is less so you hear of seamless solutions. Most reputable dealers are aware that service is vital to the continued success of their business, and satisfaction for their customers. Cooperation is also key. Many times a dealer will have an outlying customer or one on vacation far from his shop referral to a competitor for service or parts may then be needed. I keep on top of this forum to anticipate any issues with our products and others that may come into our shop. I strive to share that experience with others when I can, but occasionally I need to go to private messaging for the reasons I stated above. I do not quote pricing publicly on the forum to help with Courts goal of keeping this a free exchange of ideas and not turn into a marketing ground. I think I maintain a good balance in that regard, if not please call me out. I do not want to hide anything, anyone who follows my posts will find it apparent that I work for a dealer and am proud of that. However I try not to self promote or denigrate other shops, to the contrary many times we need each other and I am glad to tap their expertise where I am lacking. None of us is all knowing and I am the first to admit that. Most times I am on here at night during my off hours, just too busy during the day. As such I am tired and tend to ramble but let me assure you my passion for ebikes never flags. Call me out if I'm out of line, wrong or whatever. I just want this industry and forum to thrive....peace and keep rollin

I am not trying to call out or infer anything, my real goal is to what the issue is/was and the repair, mainly if were to happens to me and maybe some other Stromer users. If the rest of this goes untold , at least the basic info I have learned nothing and wont be able to share w/other members when /if needed. I hope to keep my Stromer running a long time past warranty and as many issues I can deal with by myself the more economical this bike will be.

No calling out no bad feelings just the burning desire to learn :)

no offence taken. I think it is good that people can see behind the curtain occasionally. So many times we hear of the problems not how they are resolved. Glad to share and I hope you keep that Stromer going strong for a long time.

The only reason I posted this thread was to know if someone else has had the same issue and if it was an easy fix. I tend to search online before calling shops because I like to learn and I am an DIY guy. Rich and the rest of Crazy Lenny's staff has been very attentive. I am very satisfied and do not have any complains. If the display replacement does not fix the issue I will definitely post it in here, in case someone else has the same issue in the future. Cheers, Ron

Ron,
It could be because of the voltage sag due to extreme cold! or could be something wrong with the display contrast.
On some BH bikes, the battery indicator on the display blinks for a few minutes once you top off the battery. But either way, this is something we can fix easily.
Please call Henry or Rich. Thanks
While it may or may not be related, my Stromer does do weird things in extreme cold. My display looked that exact same way every time it would regen when I was riding in 5F temps last week. After about 10 miles it was fine. I assume this was the time needed to warm up whatever was flaking out.

Excellent!

Crazy Lenny eBikes f'n ROCKS! I blame my Mom for me not being born closer to Madison, WI :(

Gus,
Lenny would love to talk to an avid E-biker such as yourself.
We will be receiving about 30 new Haibikes and few ST2's in a few weeks. please stop by when you can and our floor is open for you to test as many bikes as you wish.

I'm having the same issue but I'm not in a cold climate- there must be a contrast setting in the system codes somewhere-no?

Hi Opimax; No, I haven't, I just got it- I'll give it a try and report back. (I gotta get some of those watch batteries)
Thanks!

When I received my bike a few months ago, I couldn't read the display despite playing with the contrast code. Call your dealer. Mine replaced the display unit. New unit works fine.

Back