ST1 Elite vs Platinum

glen

Hello Stromer Forum;

I have not purchase a Stromer yet but I am getting close. I rode the ST1 elite last fall for around 5mi. It was the smaller sz though and I am 6'1''. It was a lot of fun as I have not been on a bike in 14yrs. I lost the use of my right leg to cancer in 2000. Before that I was a avid if not extreme bike rider. I have my right leg but, lets say it does not work. So when I heard about e-bikes I had to look into them. Wow! I have been researching all winter. Very impressed I must say and very happy to find this forum. You all have given me more insight on the Stromer St1.

My biggest issue other than money is the different motor sz. (Mountain 33 & Power 48) I have not ridden both bikes so it is hard to compare. I have done all the readying and research that I can find but no one has really said if the feel is very noticeable or not. I am leaning towards the Platinum but the cost is just keeping me back. I will need to get a new seat post that will let the seat be lowered by a button as I need the seat to go all the way down to get on and off the bike as well as get clip less pedals so my right leg wont go flying. So the cost is going up fast. I know what all the information says about top speed and torque but dose anyone have real experience comparing the two that they might want to share. I would love to talk to the local Rep. if I could get his or her name. I live now in Portsmouth NH. I lived in Aspen CO for 30yrs. and recently have moved.

Any advice or links to more research would be great. I can only buy one bike and I want to make the right choice. The only other bike I have looked at is the EMotion Neo Cross. A much nicer price rang but I keep coming back to the ST1.

Thanks gp

Hi Glen, I am always inspired by stories like yours, thank you for describing your situation so openly. I have witnessed the freedom and health benefits electric bikes can give. You will not regret the purchase, no matter what bike you choose. I am part of the Stromer team in North Vancouver BC as product and service manager. I have been riding the ST1 Platinum for 8 months now and it has been amazing.

I get to ride the Elite models on a regular basis - building, test rides, demo events, and maintaining 100+ local customer bikes has given me the opportunity to be fairly opinionated! I like the extra bit of speed from the Power 48 motor however, the Mountain 33 extra torque surprises me every time I ride the Elite.

The Elite has 40Nm of torque and the Platinum has 30Nm. The difference is noticeable when accelerating from a stop. The Elite has faster acceleration and reaches its max speed very quickly. It is nice that the motor continues to support you beyond 33km/h (aprox 36km/h) compared with the Platinum which accelerates slower but gets you to 45km/h and with some effort you can crank out 48km/h maybe a little more if you are on the flats.

The extra torque on the Elite means you will climb hills faster and with less effort. The extra gears on the Platinum means you can climb all those hill as well but a little slower and you need to shift gears appropriately.

Hello Stromer Forum;
My biggest issue other than money is the different motor sz. (Mountain 33 & Power 48) I have not ridden both bikes so it is hard to compare. I have done all the readying and research that I can find but no one has really said if the feel is very noticeable or not. I am leaning towards the Platinum but the cost is just keeping me back. I will need to get a new seat post that will let the seat be lowered by a button as I need the seat to go all the way down to get on and off the bike as well as get clip less pedals so my right leg wont go flying. So the cost is going up fast. I know what all the information says about top speed and torque but dose anyone have real experience comparing the two that they might want to share. I would love to talk to the local Rep. if I could get his or her name. I live now in Portsmouth NH. I lived in Aspen CO for 30yrs. and recently have moved.

Any advice or links to more research would be great. I can only buy one bike and I want to make the right choice. The only other bike I have looked at is the EMotion Neo Cross. A much nicer price rang but I keep coming back to the ST1.

thanks gp
James, a member here, rides ST1 platinum and has put on thousands of miles already. He might be able to throw more light on this. ST1's are solid bikes and they are like the Wolverine battle tank version of bikes..!!

If price is something you are concerned, you could certainly get a new ST1 platinum for $2700 with all the warranty. I bought a similar spec'd Neo Jumper 650B mountain bike for under $3k.

Ravi, where can you get ST1 Platinum for 2700?

Hi Brambor,

It is a from a store in Wisconsin and a lot of us have bought ebikes from him. Len's Electric Bike ---> they changed the name/website to Crazy Lenny's Ebikes.
This guy is just awesome not because he gives great prices, also provides excellent customer service. He is not new to bikes. Back in 1980's and 1990's he sold more than 100,000 bikes.

Here is a snapshot. They sold 15,000 bikes in 6 weeks (he was running a promotion = buy a TV and get a bike free). Because he had strong ties with biking industry people and purchases 100 ebikes at once, he can afford to give such phenomenal prices.

BTW, that's his shop personnel, Mark.

Crazy Lenny.JPG

Last edited:
that has got to be the best price I have ever seen for st1 platinum. His web site does not show the price. I am assuming you called him? Thanks for the tip.

that has got to be the best price I have ever seen for st1 platinum. His web site does not show the price. I am assuming you called him? Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome.
I called him when I bought bikes for me/gf and the reason he doesn't put sale price on the web is most sales managers from other brands don't want him to quote such low prices because of perceived brand value etc.
He thinks it is far too early to be firm on pricing/brand value, especially when the industry is still in infancy.

Hi Glen!

Your story is moving, and I'm stoked for you that you have an opportunity to get back on a bike! I have an ST1 Platinum and just love it. You'll want the large frame bike for sure. I'm 5'10 175 and the med just fit me. I put on a lot of kilometers every week and my bike has been absolutely trouble free. I don't have to hit too many hills on my commute but I do cover just over 40km each way. I did upgrade the the 14.5amp hour battery to handle my ride. I don't have any experience with the Elite but you can take Jamie's analysis at face value because he's a rad dude (I bought my bike from his shop). If you have any specific questions for me post them here and I'd be happy to answer if I can!

This is just like the best thread ever... Thanks for the great question Glen, thanks for the great responses Brambor and Ravi and much gusto por la expert first hand accounts Jamie and James.

I don't have anything to add besides Rock on! And ps. I want to hear which one you decise on Glen and maybe some pictures or a climb test video perhaps :rolleyes:

James, and others -
I love the ST1 Platinum and will probably get one soon, especially if that price from Crazy Lenny is still good. One reason I have hesitated is I hear about lots of variability in the quality of the motors. Big concern for me. You evidently got a perfect Stromer! Have you heard about the motor problems? Know anybody who has a Stromer with a defective motor?
Thanks!

James, and others -
I love the ST1 Platinum and will probably get one soon, especially if that price from Crazy Lenny is still good. One reason I have hesitated is I hear about lots of variability in the quality of the motors. Big concern for me. You evidently got a perfect Stromer! Have you heard about the motor problems? Know anybody who has a Stromer with a defective motor?
Thanks!

Yes, we discussed about this here. Mark (opimax) owns two ST1's and I did a short trail ride with him once.
He has had 10 motors changes on his and his wife's ST1 and he told me it was a bad batch but I think they rectified it. You could PM him for more info. But I think that issue has been resolved.

Link to Endless Sphere thread = http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55413

Hi John,

I did hear a few years ago some motors were having some overheating problems. From what I hear that was a controller issue and has now been taken care of. I have had only one issue with my motor ( or so I thought) if you start pedaling before the bike has fully turned on, you get little to no power from the motor. Simply shut it off (stop pedaling obviously) and the motor fires up no prob.

I need to clarify, I have owned 4 Stromers, 2 originals , they had all the motors and 2 st1. Stromer gave us full credit for the old bikes 3 years later and we purchased the upgrade to the Platinum w/suspension forks. 1 of them has is not right, a couple mph slower than the other and has a surge feel at slow speeds . My wife's has been fine.

I am very happy w/my current LBS and expect it will get addressed. I wish it hd no problems though.

No matter how well I am treated by both Stromer and the shop I have had issues and would prefer to have something else trouble free. The st1 was one of the 1st 28 mph bikes that is pretty stealthy and available when purchased, reasons for my choice

Mark

PS when you turn the bike on there must be no pressure on the pedals or chain so the torque sensor has a proper starting point,only takes a few seconds. If the display is showing mph and you have waited til then to start there could be an issue .

Last edited:
Hello Glen! Your situation is a perfect example of how an e-bike can be extremely beneficial to someone looking to ride again.

I myself own an ST1 Elite, which I have ridden just about 900 miles now. I've also test rode 5 or 6 Platinums. I think more information is needed on how you are going to use the bike and what type of terrain you'll be riding on before anyone could give a good recommendation on either the Elite or Platinum.

For example, if you are going to commute on this or your primary purpose is getting from point A to point B and want to save time, the Platinum obviously has the advantage as long as you live in an area that has the open real estate to open it up and ride that fast. If you have more hills or want to exert less effort getting it up to speed, the Elite has the advantage. If you are only going to be riding recreationally and on the bike paths, the Platinum is probably not a good choice. Speeds that high around walkers/runners/dogs is asking for trouble.

Honestly, I am not sure either ST1 would be a good pick. Have you looked into a bike that has both a torque sensor and a throttle like the IZIP E3 Dash? It has a pedal-assist option just like the ST1 but also has a twist throttle that the ST1 does not have. Now I don't know the full extent of your right leg, but having a throttle as an option would be useful in situations where you could not pedal with your left leg as much as you want. It's the best of both worlds. Plus its quite a bit less expensive than an ST1.

Check out Court's Review on this one to see if it's a better option.

Hello Stromer Forum;

I have not purchase a Stromer yet but I am getting close. I rode the ST1 elite last fall for around 5mi. It was the smaller sz though and I am 6'1''. It was a lot of fun as I have not been on a bike in 14yrs. I lost the use of my right leg to cancer in 2000. Before that I was a avid if not extreme bike rider. I have my right leg but, lets say it does not work. So when I heard about e-bikes I had to look into them. Wow! I have been researching all winter. Very impressed I must say and very happy to find this forum. You all have given me more insight on the Stromer St1.

Thanks gp

I congratulate you on getting back in the saddle!

Please pardon my ignorance but is biking with one prosthetic leg difficult to have evenly powered strokes, compared to your good leg? The pedal assist on the Stromer responds to pedal torque input and multiplies the motor output.. If your pedal force is not consistent, the bike motor response may be a little jerky

The Stromers ST1 now only have pedal assist (my 2012 has a throttle but you don't want that model)....You may find pedaling with a throttle a lot more enjoyable and evenly powered. So maybe a different brand that offers a throttle as well as a pedal assist would be better for you.

Personally i like having both since somedays im just lazy and want to let the motor do most of the work.

Hope you find your way on a new ebike soon!

I need to clarify, I have owned 4 Stromers, 2 originals , they had all the motors and 2 st1. Stromer gave us full credit for the old bikes 3 years later and we purchased the upgrade to the Platinum w/suspension forks. 1 of them has is not right, a couple mph slower than the other and has a surge feel at slow speeds . My wife's has been fine.

I am very happy w/my current LBS and expect it will get addressed. I wish it hd no problems though.

No matter how well I am treated by both Stromer and the shop I have had issues and would prefer to have something else trouble free. The st1 was one of the 1st 28 mph bikes that is pretty stealthy and available when purchased, reasons for my choice

Mark

PS when you turn the bike on there must be no pressure on the pedals or chain so the torque sensor has a proper starting point,only takes a few seconds. If the display is showing mph and you have waited til then to start there could be an issue .

Yep, that was something I learned from you or someone on ES.. Do not pedal the bike as you're turning it on... I've had zero problems so far with my 2012 Elite.

Along w/Joe's thoughts , some models have a cadence sensor instead of a torque or both, the cadence may be a better idea for PAS in your situation. I have only ridden Stromers so I can not speak w/experience. I think a throttle along w/PAS would be close to mandatory in case of any issues for you.

Mark

Hello to all that have responded. First thanks. I am getting closer thanks to Ravi and his idea to call Crazy Lenny's Ebikes. Yes a great price and he will ship to me in NH. I have a dealer right here I know (Papa Wheelies) but they just started carrying Stromer and I seem to know more than they do. No big deal as I have been around bikes a lot and have done my research on the ebikes.
Jamie your advice has been well taken and I am leaning towards the Elite. I will keep you all posted on my next move.
thanks gp

Hello to all that have responded. First thanks. I am getting closer thanks to Ravi and his idea to call Crazy Lenny's Ebikes. Yes a great price and he will ship to me in NH. I have a dealer right here I know (Papa Wheelies) but they just started carrying Stromer and I seem to know more than they do. No big deal as I have been around bikes a lot and have done my research on the ebikes.
Jamie your advice has been well taken and I am leaning towards the Elite. I will keep you all posted on my next move.
thanks gp

Called Crazy Lenny and you're right... His prices are insane, even with delivery... Compared to buying locally, the difference for the Stromer platinum is almost $900, including sales tax and shipping costs. Too bad he doesn't sell extra batteries.

Back