Sram hydraulic brakesTetra Dorado hydraulic: best ones?

sal

I have a choice: Mechanical Avid 7 brakes that comes on the Orion 8 fat tire bikes from lectricycles.com or upgrade with hydraulic brakes ( more expensive, more complicated to work on) but easier on wrist and better high speed braking, especially rainy days.... Question is which one: Tetra Dorado or Sram hydraulic brakes? Which one do u prefer?

I know that the Dorado brakes are set up as e brakes and have
Larger and thicker rotors that most of your typical bicycle rotors. The SRAM have 4 piston calipers, but, I don't know if they can be as seamlessly (or neatly) adapted for e bike use.

hydraulic brakes perform very well. I have Dorado auriga e-comps on my bike and they are terrific, strong, and silent. Can't speak for Sram.

I know that the Dorado brakes are set up as e brakes and have
Larger and thicker rotors that most of your typical bicycle rotors. The SRAM have 4 piston calipers, but, I don't know if they can be as seamlessly (or neatly) adapted for e bike use.
Thank Toynut, ur imput is important and valuable in my decision. Now, the Sram with 4 piston is compatible to lectricycles.com bike ( Orion 8 fat bike crawler) since Jeff offered it instead of the Tetra Dorado I wanted. I'm just thinking they are basically the same, no major drop off? What u think, which would u choose?

I would put the weight of the bike and rider into the equation. I believe the thicker and larger rotors of the Dorado package will be much less subject to heat warpage during hard braking and will act as a bigger/ better heat synch should you ever wish to switch to more aggressive brake pad compounds. I bought and sold over 30,000 automotive brake rotors a month through my automotive parts distribution business. The lighter weight and smaller diameter rotors (with their comparatively small calipers & brake pads) that some OEMs installed on certain applications (Chrysler mini vans as an example) were some of the most problematic combinations out there. Rotor warpage and very short service life were the most common complaints.
I can't/won't claim that you will not have more than adequate service life from either combo, it's just that the Dorados were engineered for e bike service.
Somebody with more experience in the e bike world may have some additional and valuable input.

Last edited:
BTW,
You can custom tailor your brake line lengths and colors with theses Tektro kits:
http://tektro.com

It should allow you to do a much neater job for your particular application.

I have a choice: Mechanical Avid 7 brakes that comes on the Orion 8 fat tire bikes from lectricycles.com or upgrade with hydraulic brakes ( more expensive, more complicated to work on) but easier on wrist and better high speed braking, especially rainy days.... Question is which one: Tetra Dorado or Sram hydraulic brakes? Which one do u prefer?
Close your eyes, spend the money and go with the hydraulic brakes. Well worth the extra $$

Back