SRAM GX Eagle AXS Electric Shifting for Hydra

I have the sram gx axs $600, the sram nx eagle cassette $100 , the sram x01 chain $60 , works great. You don't need the xd hub because the nx cassette uses the shimano hub and is recommended for ebikes.

I have the sram gx axs $600, the sram nx eagle cassette $100 , the sram x01 chain $60 , works great. You don't need the xd hub because the nx cassette uses the shimano hub and is recommended for ebikes.
Good to know, Thanks!

Yes this is on the hydra. No problems at all. I did put a raceface 44t chainring on front thinking it might work better than the original but don't think that was necessary ( thinking the tooth profile might be slightly thinner) .

Yes this is on the hydra. No problems at all. I did put a raceface 44t chainring on front thinking it might work better than the original but don't think that was necessary ( thinking the tooth profile might be slightly thinner) .
Then your running the exact setup that I have. I’ll definitely do this upgrade in the near future as it’s cheaper than I expected.

Yes, that's a good setup, but you don't get that 10-tooth upper gear for high(er) speed.

Electronic shifting was great on my Stromer, no issues with it and less adjustment than regular shift, DI2 , 1 less hassle more ride enjoyment, so easy on the thumbs and quicker too

My hydra came with a microshift 11 speed cassette.

Can I use the parts listed by jmaloy, or will I need a new hub?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Awesome deals and fast shipping at evo.com

time to see if working on my bike is as easy as working on my jeep. Hahaha
20221022_193034.jpg

Some observations.
The freehub was notched from the individual cogs making it a little challenging to remove the old cassette and put on the new one.

There was already a spacer so I didn't see the need for the 1.85 mm spacer that I've read about.

The 126 link x01 12 speed chain was not long enough at full sag so I'm temporarily using my old chopped kmc 136 link 11 speed chain until I get another chain to chop.

The bike currently shifts smoothly on the stand. While riding, it kerchunks shifting from 12 to 1, but smooth enough from 1 to 12.
The sride 11 speed shifter that came with my hydra was much smoother after I tuned it. Hahaha

So hopefully when I get the another chain to supplement and spend some more time tuning, it'll be at least as smooth as the sride. Haha

Last edited:
So I decided to go with the kmc e12 130 link. I removed 2 links. All shifting smoothly. I put the 126 link back on just to see if I was imagining things. Those two extra links really seem make a difference.

I was going to take a look at the magura shiftmix, but there is no way it would work unless I moved my brakes inboard a couple inches.
The paddle sits pretty far in for me to use my thumb tips.

Final parts list

Nx cassette
Gx axs kit
Kmc e12 130 link
Axs rocker paddle replacement

Thanks to everyone on the shared their info in this thread.

Another relatively inexpensive electronic shifter option is the D1x from Archer. It works with almost any groupset, front or rear. I've been using them on two of my bikes for several seasons with no issues whatever. They have a 20% off sale going on now:

Last edited:
Another relatively inexpensive electronic shifter option is the D1x from Archer. It works with almost any groupset, front or rear. I've been using them on two of my bikes for several seasons with no issues whatever. They have a 20% off sale going on now:

Yup! Have two and getting ready to purchase a third. Have you tried the new smaller paddle shifter vs the original?

Yup! Have two and getting ready to purchase a third. Have you tried the new smaller paddle shifter vs the original?
No, but it's on my radar. Do they work any better than the original?

My concern is, there are different units for the right & left. I switch back & forth a lot and the original works on either side.

Please see:

How is shifting under load with the wireless setups? Did the Hydra ship with power-interrupt sensors to temporarily cut off the motor while shifting to help drivetrain life?

Shifting is very similar to a cable system under load. I try not to shift under super heavy load however. I have a Travelanche model but I don’t think any of them have any kind of motor cut off.

Back