Spike E-Bike - Opinions?

0grayscale1

Seems to be a new company with a bike that looks a lot like an Evelo Atlas but appears to be using a motor from Truckrun.

I like that they give you an option for IGH along with the 4-piston caliper brakes.

MSRP of $3995, but they are offering a discount if you put a $99 deposit down, lowering the price to $2995.

I personally would never do a crowdfunded bike, simply because these always have initial teething bugs and I don't like being a beta-tester on something as important as a bike. I prefer reliability.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hmm. I don’t know. I feel like any bike that is well maintained will be a reliable bike.

Though, I don’t like playing games with my money. Not much of a gambler. I’m more of a “wait and see” guy.

Seems pretty gimmicky, with the flashing light and supposed “zero maintenance ebike”. Brakes will always need maintenance. Cable stretching, brake pads, rotors. Nice IGH and belt, though. The speed assist may also not be for everyone. Most like to have an assist based on power, not speed.

Nice to see a UL rated battery. At 720 wh, this seems to be a 48v 15ah battery with Samsung 21700 cells. That seems to be the new standard.

“Safest bike”, I don’t know. A vehicle is only as safe as its driver. It’s got a big flashy light. That is good.

I’m sure this will be the right bike for some.

a Brand new company with a crowd funded bike, yeah NO. Thats a double NO! If its an established company that has been around for years then sure but not from a new brand unless you just love pain.

They have done their market research on what people desire in a bike as a checklist for the bike itself. But have failed in what people want from a local bike shop. With every bike the first three weeks of break-in are when the most local support is needed. Belts are not maintenance free. They need to be cleaned, lubed and adjusted. The hub and Gates cogs are built for up to 350W 50Nm systems. Gates cogs are brittle and the teeth break off and are expensive to replace. The hub needs to be disassembled at 1,000 miles and serviced by a pro. Schwalbe tires with green guard are nice but not puncture proof. This is sales hype. It is not a feasible real world thing. Pie in the sky.

1683993905091.jpeg

Back