Speed vs battery life

@Kilowatt and @dodgeman — You're both right. Air resistance and the power lost to it depend on ground speed in different ways.

In still air, ground speed Vg and air speed are the same. The air resistance Ra encountered at Vg in this scenario is a net aerodynamic force given by

Ra = k Vg²,

where Ra is in Newtons, and k is a constant for a given bike and rider in given clothing and riding position. Note that Vg is only squared here.

Ra directly opposes forward motion. The power Pa lost in moving forward against it at speed Vg is

Pa = Ra Vg = k Vg³,

where Pa is in watts, and Vg is now cubed.

Sometimes you'll get farther with a cycling physics problem using a resistance analysis. In other cases, a power analysis is more useful. A lot depends on the empirical data available.

In discussions like these, it's absolutely essential to keep the distinction between resistance and power front and center.

Things are simpler when dealing with relative resistance and power. Let Rt be the total resistance encountered at Vg, and Pt, the total power lost to Rt at Vg. The relative air resistance is just Ra / Rt — the fraction of total resistance due to air resistance.

The relative aerodynamic power loss is then

Pa / Pt = (Ra Vg) / (Rt Vg) = Ra / Rt

In other words, the relative air resistance at Vg equals the relative aerodynamic power loss at Vg. When Ra becomes 50% of total, so does Pa.

Last edited:
To keep it simple: the air drag depends on the speed in square but the power to overcome the drag is in cube. On the other hand, the rider riding faster will get to the destination in shorter time than the slow cyclist, so the matters are not that obvious here. (It is not about the drag or power but actually about the battery charge -- energy -- used for the ride). Anyway, fast rides are never economical!

Jeremy and Stefan’s posts make sense. My degree is in civil engineering and I remember studying this is college, probably some kind of fluids class or dynamics class but I graduated in 1984, that was a while ago. It hurts my brain just thinking about it to much now.

Here in my local areas, we have only 2 wind directions, Winter = North to South direction, Summer is just the opposite directions, as there are Mtn ranges on each sides of the open valleys.
The exception to this rule is when there is a general overall weather change, if you wait until around 10 Am, the wind will settle down to which ever way it wants to go.

Therefore, I take a SWAG and head South (this time of year), at around Sun rise, as I know the wind direction will change and start blowing from the South at around at around 10AM, with an average wind speeds of 10 to 15 mph, then I'll have the wind at my back going home, for the 20-40+ mile rides, I normally take.

I average between 80-120 miles per battery charge, for my 10-15 mph riding speeds, using my Mad Scientist way of thinking. A lot easier on this OLD bod and I use less battery power on my 48V-15a x 2 batts.............LOL

I have a pending 120 mile trip upcoming, I am prepping for, if the snow ever melts off, approx 60 miles the first day with an over night trail camp and the rest the next day, I hope 4 batts will be enough. 6300' elev down to 3400' all down hill with several uphill climbs in between.

Tia,
Don

Back