Specs for Handlebar Stem Replacement

YoGe

I'd like to replace the handlebar stem on my Creo Turbo. I'd like to affect two aspects of the current fit.

1. I want to move the handlebars closer to the seat - less stretch to reach the handlebars.
2. I want to elevate the height of the handlebars so that my posture is slightly more upright, to reduce neck bend.

I'm looking at something like this Ritchey Stem.

Ritchey.jpg

Will this fit my bike - 2022 Turbo Creo? Is there one common standard for stems or do I need to know specific measurements to make sure this will fit my stem riser and my handlebar?

Thanks for your advice!

I used this on one of my ebikes to get the handles tilted back and to raise them. Working great. I'm not sure but I would think the stems would be somewhat standardized. When shopping I didn't see specific stem diameters listed.

screenshot_1232.jpg

There is a common standard for stems. Steering tubes are 1 1/8" in external diameter and stems will fit this size. From there you choose your angle and length to get a good fit.

The Ritchey 45-degree stems are an excellent choice. I have used them on several bikes, and on my most recent build I kept a supply handy for final fitment post-build. I had a 100-degree Ritchey Classic with a 7-degree rise. I ended up going to the 45-degree, 120mm stem you see on the right.
pxl_20220406_024131101[1].jpg

I know of two adjustable stems along the lines of the Satori linked above that have failed. Both did so under heavy emergency braking, which sent the bars straight down. Both times the rider ended up doing a Fred Flintstone trying to brake the bike with his feet while trying not to die (from getting hit by a bus in one case). FAR better to use a stem that is fixed and not a fresh point of failure.

The Ritchey 45-degree stems are an excellent choice. I have used them on several bikes, and on my most recent build I kept a supply handy for final fitment post-build. I had a 100-degree Ritchey Classic with a 7-degree rise. I ended up going to the 45-degree, 120mm stem you see on the right.

I know of two adjustable stems along the lines of the Satori linked above that have failed. Both did so under heavy emergency braking, which sent the bars straight down. Both times the rider ended up doing a Fred Flintstone trying to brake the bike with his feet while trying not to die (from getting hit by a bus in one case). FAR better to use a stem that is fixed and not a fresh point of failure.

Thanks! I like Ritchey. I have a Ritchey 45deg on my "meBike" :) so I'd be inclined to go with them again for my new eBike.

In general I'm a little hesitant regarding the adjustables. However, Ritchey has an adjustable and, given their reputation, I'd be a bit more inclined to trust them. Were any of the failures you mentioned Ritcheys or were they other brands?

Also, I'm not seeing the 45 degree stem anywhere online and even Richey's site doesn't list it. Do you have a link from where I might order that? Thanks!

I used this on one of my ebikes to get the handles tilted back and to raise them. Working great. I'm not sure but I would think the stems would be somewhat standardized. When shopping I didn't see specific stem diameters listed.

Thanks! I might go for one like that, made by Ritchey. I have good experience with Ritcheys.

Man, those adjustable stems scare me. I don’t care how reliable…..what if? On my Creo, I flipped the 6 degree stem and added 2ea. of the 5mm spacers, which was enough for me. Tried one spacer; not enough. Tried 3 spacers; too much.

If I needed more than the above would give me, I’d look for a stem with a greater angle, or move onto handlebars with rise.

That’s just me though, as we all have our own preferences.

You guys are scaring me away from the adjustables! I should probably thank you for that, but we'll never know. (Risk management is a thankless job! ;-)

My bike shop maxed out the spacers for me. Anyone know where I can find a 45 degree (or more) rise? Ritchey preferred, but I'd consider any other brand with a recommendation.

Thanks!

There’s another thread about this. Maybe it’ll be helpful.

Also, try googling “stem comparison tool”. The calculator there will help determine the necessary stem length, based on added spacer height and stem angle.

I may have found this in that other thread.

My approach is to use an adjustable stem to work out roughly how high I want, but then adjust the HANDLEBAR rise to get the height.

I then fine tune reach using different stem length.

NB changing stem length ( and angle) has a significant effect on steering - this is a lot more obvious on a mountain bike hurtling down rocky hills....but the physics are the same. Shorter stem = quick / nervous steering, but also " stronger" steering - so smaller bar movements gave a larger effect.

nb mk 2 - we now have 3 different bar diameters so make sure the bar and stem have the same diameter

My approach is to use an adjustable stem to work out roughly how high I want, but then adjust the HANDLEBAR rise to get the height.

I then fine tune reach using different stem length.

NB changing stem length ( and angle) has a significant effect on steering - this is a lot more obvious on a mountain bike hurtling down rocky hills....but the physics are the same. Shorter stem = quick / nervous steering, but also " stronger" steering - so smaller bar movements gave a larger effect.

nb mk 2 - we now have 3 different bar diameters so make sure the bar and stem have the same diameter
When I was playing with spacers on my Creo, I noticed that the steering felt really twitchy with 3 spacers (15mm total), but 2 (10mm) was acceptable. I was very surprised, but now I know why they end up with the standard specs they do.

Most steer tubes are 1 1/8" or 28.6mm, but your handlebars can be one of three sizes. 31.8mm is very common, while 28.4 was the old standard and still used on many lower cost bikes or ones that won't be under a lot of strain (like catching air on a mountain bike). Sometimes you see newer mountain bikes with a 35mm diameter handlebar clamp on the stem.

I have used adjustable stems for over 10 years on mountain bikes (used on single track trails, not groomed rails to trails or mixed use trails) without ever having one fail on me. Just snug the bolts if you hear any creaking. I bought this one for my mountain bike in Sept 2020 and have put about 1500 miles on it. It works well. With any of the adjustables, tighten the steer tube bolts after tightening the bolt that adjusts the angle.

This stem is about four inches long, so when it swings in an arc it will raise the handlebars a fair amount, as well as moving them back the same amount. But nothing says that you have to adjust it to its maximum - you can stop somewhere in between if that is what gives you a comfortable reach.

Now that I have found a setting that I like, I could go out and buy a fixed stem in the same shape. But, this one works great, so why waste money? I have complete confidence in this stem.

Have you tried to invert your existing stem in the first instance? Creo stems and either -6 (pointing down), or +6 (pointing up). I set mine to +6 to help with this. Basically, just turn it upsidedown

Have you tried to invert your existing stem in the first instance? Creo stems and either -6 (pointing down), or +6 (pointing up). I set mine to +6 to help with this. Basically, just turn it upsidedown
Yes, it's in the +6 position. I want some more elevation. I ordered the Ritchey 90mm (same length) with 30 degrees elevation. I hope to install that this week. When I get it installed I'll post pics and let you know how the steering feels.

I appreciate the education I got with regard to stem length and steering feel (stable vs twitchy). I'm pretty sure that going down to 60mm would have been a huge mistake. I'm glad I caught that. Thanks for your feedback!

When I was playing with spacers on my Creo, I noticed that the steering felt really twitchy with 3 spacers (15mm total), but 2 (10mm) was acceptable. I was very surprised, but now I know why they end up with the standard specs they do.
Interesting. My dealer delivered the bike to me with 5 spacers. It feels fine!

There is a common standard for stems. Steering tubes are 1 1/8" in external diameter and stems will fit this size. From there you choose your angle and length to get a good fit.

the question is about a specific bike - the creo - which does not have a 1 1/8” steerer tube.

the future shock in the creo has a +/- 22mm OD.

@YoGe depending on the exact creo you have, the shim you’ll need to change the stem may already be installed, or it may be in your parts bag, or you may not have it at all. take a look before trying to swap!

i’ve run a couple different stems on my creo and oddly enough needed two different OD shims.

20ADF92B-08F2-46A2-A789-7C6808437B25.jpeg

the question is about a specific bike - the creo - which does not have a 1 1/8” steerer tube.

the future shock in the creo has a +/- 22mm OD.

@YoGe depending on the exact creo you have, the shim you’ll need to change the stem may already be installed, or it may be in your parts bag, or you may not have it at all. take a look before trying to swap!

i’ve run a couple different stems on my creo and oddly enough needed two different OD shims.
Oops! Thank you for posting. I had no idea. I thought it was going to be standard. I will look for that shim. Where can I get that shim if I will need it? Also, how do I get the compression cap (is that what it's called?) off the top of the steering tube? The last time I did this with a different bike, there was an Allen bolt in the center of the compression cap, but the Creo just has a flat cap above the stem mount.

Thanks for your advice!

Oops! Thank you for posting. I had no idea. I thought it was going to be standard. I will look for that shim. Where can I get that shim if I will need it? Also, how do I get the compression cap (is that what it's called?) off the top of the steering tube? The last time I did this with a different bike, there was an Allen bolt in the center of the compression cap, but the Creo just has a flat cap above the stem mount.

Thanks for your advice!
there is a tiny little hex set screw on the side of the future shock adjuster cap. unscrew that, and the cap comes off. be careful with that little guy, it’s TINY and you will very easily round it with too much force or a slightly worn hex key. it’s actually not a compression cap, there is no “preload” or whatever on the exterior of the future shock cartridge. just remove the top cap, then the two bolts on the stem. be mindful of the torque specs for all the bolts, and use a torque wrench!

a larger specialized dealer will likely have the shims - but they seem to be sold out most places online. the stem that my LBS swapped mine to initially actually had a smaller diameter and they had a different shim for that on hand, so they may be pretty common?

if for some reason there isn’t one in your parts bag or your current stem, i think i have an extra that might get to you sooner, depending on where you live. DM me if you’d like and i’ll take a look.

But I think it must be shimmed because I measured the circumference of the stem mount with a caliper; 31.98mm which is exactly the same as my other bike - it's a Motobecane with a standard stem. It's not 100% proof positive because the Specialized stem mount might have thicker walls, but that would be pretty strange. Anyway, once the new stem arrives, I'll pop off the existing one and have a look.

Back