Specs for Handlebar Stem Replacement

there is a tiny little hex set screw on the side of the future shock adjuster cap. unscrew that, and the cap comes off. be careful with that little guy, it’s TINY and you will very easily round it with too much force or a slightly worn hex key. it’s actually not a compression cap, there is no “preload” or whatever on the exterior of the future shock cartridge. just remove the top cap, then the two bolts on the stem. be mindful of the torque specs for all the bolts, and use a torque wrench!

I think your instructions are for an adjustable Future Shock? Mine is not adjustable. Just a flat cap, pretty much flush with the top of the stem mount. I'm not sure I understand figure 10.10. Is this finger-loosened after the stem is loosened? And then finger-tightened before the stem is clamped onto the steerer?

1656307229411.png

if for some reason there isn’t one in your parts bag or your current stem, i think i have an extra that might get to you sooner, depending on where you live. DM me if you’d like and i’ll take a look.
Thank you! I will let you know once I get the existing stem extracted, I'll know more what I'm looking at.

I think your instructions are for an adjustable Future Shock? Mine is not adjustable. Just a flat cap, pretty much flush with the top of the stem mount. I'm not sure I understand figure 10.10. Is this finger-loosened after the stem is loosened? And then finger-tightened before the stem is clamped onto the steerer?

View attachment 127323

Thank you! I will let you know once I get the existing stem extracted, I'll know more what I'm looking at.

ah! apologies, i didn’t realize you were referring to a FS 1.5. definitely different from the 2.0!

If it’s a Creo, Specialized says it’s unsafe to use more than three. Your call though.
Yes, I see that in the manual - 15mm spacers max. Interesting. I purchased from a Specialized dealer. I'll ask him next time I'm in the shop. From my perspective, all I can say is it feels fine. So far I've taken this up to 44mph on a wicked downhill and everything felt just fine! :)

Note that on a Future shock bike can only use a stem with a 40mm stack height or else the top cap will not screw on. Often, stems with a high angle have a stack greater than 40 as I found with a 35deg stem with a stack of 42mm that would not work on my Vado SL 5. Going with a 30deg Ritchey instead.

View attachment 127323

On the aluminum (lower numbered future shock) Creo, that cap merely screws on. It is not necessarily easy to get a grip on it and a wrench will probably bung it up. I used a wide rubber band to get a grip. It then unscrews but only so far. Then a rubber o-ring kind of keeps it in place to then just pull up on it.

I added and removed the spacers to raise/lower my handlebars as I experimented with height. Eventually settling on three. Then I still got a stem with more rise. OLD neck. I also replaced those nylon spacers with machined aluminum that some guy with terrific youtube videos sells. He has a few videos on future shock and handlebar stuff. I did the spacers myself. Shop changed out the stem. I have not tuned the springs.

I used a wide rubber band to get a grip. It then unscrews but only so far. Then a rubber o-ring kind of keeps it in place to then just pull up on it.
I was wearing thin nitrile work gloves and my technique was to press down with my thumbs on the outer part on opposite sides of the cap and then push/pull them in opposite directions to exert a counter-clockwise torque on it. Worked better for me than trying to get a grip on the very thin edge of the cap.

Thanks! I like Ritchey. I have a Ritchey 45deg on my "meBike" :) so I'd be inclined to go with them again for my new eBike.

In general I'm a little hesitant regarding the adjustables. However, Ritchey has an adjustable and, given their reputation, I'd be a bit more inclined to trust them. Were any of the failures you mentioned Ritcheys or were they other brands?

Also, I'm not seeing the 45 degree stem anywhere online and even Richey's site doesn't list it. Do you have a link from where I might order that? Thanks!
No idea on the brand of the ones that failed. No way would I deliberately create a point of failure like that. I have seen the Ritchey adjustable you are speaking of and didn't think it was much if any different from the norm in the marketplace.

I got my Ritchey stems on Amazon, or Jenson USA.

I had no idea the Future Shock had a proprietary/unique stem diameter. When it comes to violating standards to aid in marketing, you can't beat the bicycle industry.

I had no idea the Future Shock had a proprietary/unique stem diameter. When it comes to violating standards to aid in marketing, you can't beat the bicycle industry.

i believe it’s a smaller diameter because the whole self-contained shock cartridge more or less fits “inside” the traditional steerer tube. not much marketing advantage in a smaller stem clamp diameter, especially considering they don’t even mention it 😂

So I ran into a bit of trouble with this.

I got the Specialized stem off no problem. I loosened up the bolts and rotated the stem on the steerer counterclockwise. The friction against the cosmetic cap started turning that cap and it unscrewed very smoothly. No issues there. When I got the cap off I could see obviously there was a shim in there. Oh, rejoice! This is going to be so easy!

Bzzt! Not.

The Ritchey mount is a much wider diameter than the shim. An additional shim would be required to fit the Ritchey onto the steerer. Hmm. Is there a smaller diameter mount that I should be looking for? Sure anything can be shimmed, but if it's not the right fit, I might as well get something which is the more proper fit.

Second, the Ritchey mount tube is too high on the steering tube, it rises above the level of the existing Specialized stem.

My first question is, can this Ritchey stem be used at all for this bike? If yes, then my follow-up would be can I get this mounted on my own, or should I be taking this into my LBS and let him do it for me? I'm fairly handy with bike mechanics but I must confess the intricacy of the Specialized "front end" is something which I have not encountered in the past.

Thanks for your advice!

Second, the Ritchey mount tube is too high on the steering tube, it rises above the level of the existing Specialized stem.
This is what I mentioned in an earlier reply. The "mount tube" must be 40mm high -- no more, no less.

Also, what Ritchey stem are you trying to use? According to the link that was in an earlier post of yours, the Ritchey should work since it has a 28.6mm steering diameter, which will work with the shim that is in your OEM stem. It is also 40mm high, which should also work. Or is that not the stem that you have?

Note that on a Future shock bike can only use a stem with a 40mm stack height or else the top cap will not screw on. Often, stems with a high angle have a stack greater than 40 as I found with a 35deg stem with a stack of 42mm that would not work on my Vado SL 5. Going with a 30deg Ritchey instead.
The 30deg Ritchey has a 45mm stack as I am just finding out! :-\

Attachments

• 1656375132186.png
    1656375132186.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 164
This is what I mentioned in an earlier reply. The "mount tube" must be 40mm high -- no more, no less.

Also, what Ritchey stem are you trying to use? According to the link that was in an earlier post of yours, the Ritchey should work since it has a 28.6mm steering diameter, which will work with the shim that is in your OEM stem. It is also 40mm high, which should also work. Or is that not the stem that you have?

Here's what I got from Ritchey:

1656375296658.png

So they're telling me this is a 45mm clamp height, not 40mm. Which confirms my own observation.

The shim in my OEM stem doesn't come near to 28.6mm (1 1/8"). I don't know what it is, but it is not even close.

Here's what I got from Ritchey:

View attachment 127410

So they're telling me this is a 45mm clamp height, not 40mm. Which confirms my own observation.

The shim in my OEM stem doesn't come near to 28.6mm (1 1/8"). I don't know what it is, but it is not even close.

yeah - that’s what i found on mine as well - there was a small shim installed from the shop, for a stem with a smaller diameter. the BIG SHIM (as linked above) was in my parts bag….

yeah - that’s what i found on mine as well - there was a small shim installed from the shop, for a stem with a smaller diameter. the BIG SHIM (as linked above) was in my parts bag….
And what did you do with regard to the height of the clamp? 45mm vs 40mm. How did you deal with that?

And what did you do with regard to the height of the clamp? 45mm vs 40mm. How did you deal with that?
that i did not have a problem with - many various stems used (a couple specialized ones, a zipp, a “profile design” high rise one, a roval integrated cockpit… all 40mm plus or minus one.

the highest one i used was this 17 degree jobber

I see. Do you mind posting the link to the shim again?

1656380859665.png

Trying to figure this out - 1 3/8 in??? Eleven eighths of an inch???

One and one eighth. Duh :)

Back