Specialized’s ultra-light 120-mile range e-bike - Turbo Vado SL

It's funny how in the Fazua thread many (but not you) said that this type of bike "wasn't for America" because it was too underpowered and didn't "fit the culture". And now suddenly it's the big thing.

Don't want to brag, but we told you so. 🤭
I had Vado 5 for 8 months. Too powerful to ride like a bike. Sold for 80% of new bike price. Big demand for Ebikes💁 SL 5.0 EQ is perfect. Future shock is worth the added price. Will add Thudposter seat post for magic carpet ride

My next purchase
I just switched out the Thudbuster ST on my Vado SL 5 EQ for the Redshift. Redshift is a little less noticeable and I think a little lighter. Initially I wanted the Cane Creek eeSilk but no longer offered. The Redshift seems similar to it in terms of profile/noticeability and weight. I think it fits better with a light bike motif. Pretty satisfied with it so far. And I'm willing to sell my Thudbuster ST lightly used in great condition.

I had Vado 5 for 8 months. Too powerful to ride like a bike. Sold for 80% of new bike price. Big demand for Ebikes💁 SL 5.0 EQ is perfect. Future shock is worth the added price. Will add Thudposter seat post for magic carpet ride
The same decision was made for me when my Vado 4 was stolen last March--the day before San Francisco went on lockdown. I loved the Vado, but felt it was too boosted and too heavy for the kind of cycling I really wanted to do. Bought a Vado 4 SL and love it!

Looks like a great bike for fit riders looking for a low power/high range option.

Specialized has just released the latest edition to its Turbo e-bike lineup, the Specialized Turbo Vado SL. With “SL” standing for Super Light, this is also one of the lightest e-bikes in Specialized’s lineup, weighing in at as little as 33 lb (14.9 kg).
The motor is designed to provide up to 200% of the rider’s pedaling output, and specific emphasis was placed on programming the motor and controller to feel as natural as possible when it rolls on the power.

The idea is to maintain the rider as the central unit of the bike and to keep the assist as just that — an assist system that doesn’t detract from the ride experience that cycling enthusiasts find so critical.

View attachment 52246

An internal 320Wh battery is designed to provide up to 80 miles (128 km) of range, at least when used in Eco Mode.

Higher-power modes will reduce that range a bit, though Specialized also offers a range extender battery that fits in one of two water bottle holders and can add another 40 miles (64 km) of range, bringing the total max range up to 120 miles (193 km).

The Specialized Turbo Vado SL is available starting today from as low as $3,350.
Mirror???
I am a few days into my new 5.0 SL EQ. It has the contour grips with no bar end plug. Any recommendations for a mirror? Specialized evidently makes one - but only available in Europe? (S159900001: MSC MY15 TURBO/ MY17 VADO MIRROR)
Thanks.
Jay

Mirror???
I am a few days into my new 5.0 SL EQ. It has the contour grips with no bar end plug. Any recommendations for a mirror? Specialized evidently makes one - but only available in Europe? (S159900001: MSC MY15 TURBO/ MY17 VADO MIRROR)
Thanks.
Jay
Specialized mirror is just ridiculous. I have given it to someone, possibly an enemy of mine.

Mirrycle.

I use the EVT helmet mirror.

I used to use a frame mounted mirror but I don't like having to look down to check traffic. I bumped the wheel of a rider in front of me while watching a truck in the distance. I went from the right shoulder to the oncoming lane before I could regain control.

I use the EVT helmet mirror.

I used to use a frame mounted mirror but I don't like having to look down to check traffic. I bumped the wheel of a rider in front of me while watching a truck in the distance. I went from the right shoulder to the oncoming lane before I could regain control.
A matter of preference, but I've never had any luck with helmet mirrors because:
  • I have to move my head around to get the field of view where I want it to be.
  • They're easy to knock out of alignment when reaching up to adjust my glasses, helmet position, etc.
  • My old eyes can no longer switch focus quickly (if at all) from looking out at the road up to the mirror a few inches away and back to the road.
YMMV.

I recently added a Garmin Varia to my equipment. It pairs with a number of Garmin devices as well as cell phones. I've got the one that is both a radar detector (of rear approaching traffic including cars and other bikes) and rear red light. It obviously does not replace situational awareness but adds one more level of info.

Varia RTL515 Rearview Radar with Taillight​

Specialized mirror is just ridiculous. I have given it to someone, possibly an enemy of mine.

Mirrycle.
Just as well. When I found it online, it said it wasn't eligible to ship into the US. Might be ridiculous, but it clearly must involve some high level state secrets!

A matter of preference, but I've never had any luck with helmet mirrors because:
  • I have to move my head around to get the field of view where I want it to be.
  • They're easy to knock out of alignment when reaching up to adjust my glasses, helmet position, etc.
  • My old eyes can no longer switch focus quickly (if at all) from looking out at the road up to the mirror a few inches away and back to the road.
YMMV.
More than a decade ago I rant into an article in Adventure Cycling about a man who invented a mirror that would attach to a helmet using recycled bicycle spokes, and tin cans. That might have been teh first helmet mirror. It is not very pretty - but I bought it, and it worked beautifully. He was known as the Ohio Mirror Man, and would custom make his mirrors at bike tours using a handmade grinding machine mounted on a bike frame.
I lost mine in a crash - and unfortunately, I couldn't replace it as Chuck Harris died in 2012. https://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/08/22/gambier-cycling-enthusiast-dies.html
Never found another helmet mirror that worked for me.

s-l1600.jpg

(This one from ebay - don't know if it really original or not, but the packaging looks like it. Complete with warning: "Only the Ultra Light Helmet mirror fits so firmly that it can acatually be used as a handle for the helmet. DO NOT try this with other mirrors!"

Just as well. When I found it online, it said it wasn't eligible to ship into the US. Might be ridiculous, but it clearly must involve some high level state secrets!
Mirrycle is an American product...

@Stefan Mikes How does the Mircycle work with the Ergon grips with the bar extenders? I'm interested in that type of grip to get more hand positions but if seems that the Mircycle might interfere (we've used them on almost all our bikes for years).

Back