Specialized

KeithE

I have been looking at and test riding the Specialized Turbo Como 4.0, and the Vado 3.0.
The problem I need help with is this:
The sales people do not know what they are talking about. The don't know what year the bike is and what is the maximum speed is.
One sales person said he has a 2019 Como 3.0 in a box. And that one has maximum speed of 28mph.
I tried a Vado 3.0 in a step over medium and it was tight. I'm 5'10. It was a 9 speed. I got it up to 22 mph.
Specialized has differences in the years on multiple websites.
I would like to get the Como with the 28mph motor.
Would appreciate any help in distinguishing the year models.

I have been looking at and test riding the Specialized Turbo Como 4.0, and the Vado 3.0.
The sales people do not know what they are talking about. The don't know what year the bike is and what is the maximum speed is.
One sales person said he has a 2019 Como 3.0 in a box. And that one has maximum speed of 28mph.
I tried a Vado 3.0 in a step over medium and it was tight. I'm 5'10. It was a 9 speed. I got it up to 22 mph.
Suggest posting this in the Specialized forum, there are many very knowledgeable folks there.

On the current year 2021, I believe the Como3 is the only bike Specialized makes with a 20mph limit, class 1. My bike is a 2019 Como3 with 20mph limit, and AFAIK the 2019 Vado was also a class 1, and they changed the Vado3 to class 3 in 2020. The only way I know to check the year is to install mission control on your phone and pair it with the bike you want to verify.

On the current year 2021, I believe the Como3 is the only bike Specialized makes with a 20mph limit, class 1. My bike is a 2019 Como3 with 20mph limit, and AFAIK the 2019 Vado was also a class 1, and they changed the Vado3 to class 3 in 2020. The only way I know to check the year is to install mission control on your phone and pair it with the bike you want to verify.
Thank you Art for your comment. I've seen you on here in many places. You are a good contributor.
I'm guessing the year models may be off or carry through to the next year. I'm watching Cort do reviews and it was April 2019 for the video and a 2020 model.
The sales person told me the 2019 Como 3.0 was 28mph. And another guy at a different store had the Vado 3.0 and he said class 3 but 20mph.
I got it up to 34kmh. And the price was $2800.The other prices were $3400 and $3750 for the 2020 or 2021. I'm more interested in the $2800 to $3400 range.

There is a class sticker on the seat downtube, you want a class 3 bike for 28mph. There should also be a sticker on the downtube with the serial number and manufacturing date. I believe you need to be looking at the Como 4 for class 3.

There is a class sticker on the seat downtube, you want a class 3 bike for 28mph. There should also be a sticker on the downtube with the serial number and manufacturing date. I believe you need to be looking at the Como 4 for class 3.
Not sure you can trust the sticker, I was told that Specialized includes both a class 1 and class 3 sticker in the box for the class 3 bikes.

I got it up to 34kmh
Keith, the fact e-bike cannot reach 28 mph does not necessarily mean it is Class 1. The 1.2e motor used in 3.0 Specialized Turbo e-bikes is not the strongest one in the stable, and it requires a lot of oomph to just hit 25 mph, especially with headwind. Class 3 only means "the motor will assist you up to 28 mph if you can pump enough watts in the crank yourself, and the riding conditions are not adverse". Or, "the motor won't cut off past 20 mph". Yet, the motor could be just too weak to let you ride really fast.

The easiest thing to determine the Class is to energetically pedal with tailwind in Turbo mode. If you feel the motor lets you down past 20 mph (it is like you hit a wall), the bike is of Class 1. If no "wall effect", it could be a Class 3 e-bike.

I have (2) 2020 como 3.0s they are a Class 1, I have a 2021 como 4.0 that is a class 3 and a 2021 como 5.0 that is a class 3.

One important thing to keep in mind is the difference in torque between the motors. Even though the 4.0 and 5.0 are both class 3, the 5.0 has more torque which is very helpful on hills and for my larger weight of 230lbs.

the 5.0 has more torque which is very helpful on hills and for my larger weight of 230lbs.
And it is easier to get closer to 28 mph / 45 km/h with that strong motor.

Thank you Tfbruin for clarifying the model/class matters!

Keith, the fact e-bike cannot reach 28 mph does not necessarily mean it is Class 1. The 1.2e motor used in 3.0 Specialized Turbo e-bikes is not the strongest one in the stable, and it requires a lot of oomph to just hit 25 mph, especially with headwind. Class 3 only means "the motor will assist you up to 28 mph if you can pump enough watts in the crank yourself, and the riding conditions are not adverse". Or, "the motor won't cut off past 20 mph". Yet, the motor could be just too weak to let you ride really fast.

The easiest thing to determine the Class is to energetically pedal with tailwind in Turbo mode. If you feel the motor lets you down past 20 mph (it is like you hit a wall), the bike is of Class 1. If no "wall effect", it could be a Class 3 e-bike.
Thank you for the helpful information.
We have mostly Trek dealers in R.I. And less Specialized dealers. I did feel the Trek with the Bosch motor cut out at 20 mph.
I didn't know at time the Vado 3.0 was a class 3 and 28 mph. It didn't cut out. I was in the city with cross streets and needed to be careful. Did get up to 22 mph.
The Como 4.0 or Vado 3.0 and 4.0 would work for me. I don't want to get an online bike.
Any suggestions on other bikes would be appreciated.

Back