Specialized Vado 5.0 IGH Cadence Survey

Hey folks the enviolo hub app has changed. I opened it up a month ago and it looked completely different and let me set my preferred cadence down lower. When I did that it made a big difference in my peddling speed. I also had my bike shop put on a 22 tooth cog on the back and between that and the new adjustment in the app I can do 28 mph at only 76 RPM if I'm remembering right. It's pretty fabulous now but it could still be slower since I'm still not using those higher cadence settings. Still always in either slowest or slower but I'm not complaining as this is a now and enjoyable bike to ride at speed.
I'm waiting with anticipation for my 22-tooth cog!

I'm waiting with anticipation for my 22-tooth cog!
I just got mine yesterday. My LBS said either they aren’t making those anymore or they’re out of stock from the vendor/manufacturer they deal with. I ordered mine directly from a place that had one in stock online. But be aware it doesn’t sound like there is a lot of inventory around for the specific 22T we need.

I just got mine yesterday. My LBS said either they aren’t making those anymore or they’re out of stock from the vendor/manufacturer they deal with. I ordered mine directly from a place that had one in stock online. But be aware it doesn’t sound like there is a lot of inventory around for the specific 22T we need.
These hubs are made by Gates who also manufacture the belts. If you can't get one through your shop then you need to find someone that can get one directly from them as I don't think they will sell to the public. A local bike builder near me said he could get them and had done that kind of thing before. Highly recommended.

Finally - the 22T cog arrived and is now fitted :) - unfortunately it is like a blizzard outside at the moment but once the weather clears I will take the bike out and conduct a speed test to see what its like compared to the results most of us in this thread were getting.....
Replaced rear cog.jpg

I tried to count the teeth on my dog, but I don't know if I can do it without taking the belt off. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to find out how many teeth my dog he's? Thanks

I tried to count the teeth on my dog, but I don't know if I can do it without taking the belt off. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to find out how many teeth my dog he's? Thanks
I would like to think that your retailer would have that information on file.....

I have to add a little caveat here. Everyone seems to be hypnotized by IGH HUBS with belt drive.
IMHO for single speed, fixed gear, or IGH a belt drive has a couple of advantages vs a chain: lighter, quieter, no grease.
The chain drive system on the other had has some real and substantial advantages over a belt on singlespeed and IGH setups.
First, you can buy several good quality chains for the price of a belt.
Second, you can change gear ratios at your leisure by changing the chainwheel and/or cog and adjusting chain length.
Third, a modern chain that is not being subjected to the abuse of a derailleur will last many thousands of miles with minimal maintenence. My 2 IGH bikes both have over 5k miles on the current chain with no end in sight. My old singlespeed went almost 12 K miles before the chain was due for retirement. And in all those miles, I have never broken a chain.
Lastly, when you are riding out in the middle of the nowhere and you have a belt issue, good luck at the local wide-spot-in-the-road bikeshop!

I have to add a little caveat here. Everyone seems to be hypnotized by IGH HUBS with belt drive.
IMHO for single speed, fixed gear, or IGH a belt drive has a couple of advantages vs a chain: lighter, quieter, no grease.
The chain drive system on the other had has some real and substantial advantages over a belt on singlespeed and IGH setups.
Second, you can change gear ratios at your leisure by changing the chainwheel and/or cog and adjusting chain length.
Third, a modern chain that is not being subjected to the abuse of a derailleur will last many thousands of miles with minimal maintenence. My 2 IGH bikes both have over 5k miles on the current chain with no end in sight. My old singlespeed went almost 12 K miles before the chain was due for retirement. And in all those miles, I have never broken a chain.
Lastly, when you are riding out in the middle of the nowhere and you have a belt issue, good luck at the local wide-spot-in-the-road bikeshop!
No argument here - both have pro's and con's

Yep, no arguments here either...each to their own. Important thing about it all, is to be happy and content with your ride.
For me though...i'm over shifting gears.
Similar with cars, I had my time with manuals...been there done that. I just want to relax and enjoy my ride. I choose auto boxes now.
Back to the bike...lubing and replacing chains is becoming a chore....again...been there.
I just want to be able to relax on my bike...no more of this relentless gearing up and down.

Yep, no arguments here either...each to their own. Important thing about it all, is to be happy and content with your ride.
For me though...i'm over shifting gears.
Similar with cars, I had my time with manuals...been there done that. I just want to relax and enjoy my ride. I choose auto boxes now.
Back to the bike...lubing and replacing chains is becoming a chore....again...been there.
I just want to be able to relax on my bike...no more of this relentless gearing up and down.
I agree with that. I have never been an active bike rider and gear shifting has always been a hassle. As for belts - well it just seems a logical technology progression. I lifted the hood of my car the other day and there's not much you can touch there either if you break down.

There’s a few threads here where people mention Vado 5.0 IGH speed / cadence issues, with some people (like me) having a big challenge getting up to 28 MPH and others being fine.

Looking to get some conclusive data in real life to determine if it’s hardware limitations or software configuration issues are getting in the way.

Keeping as many variables constant, let’s test in Turbo mode, Slowest cadence, as flat of a road as possible, and report back the cadence it takes to get to 20, 25, and 28 MPH.

I’ll start:

20 MPH: 72-73 RPM
25 MPH: 86-87 RPM
28 MPH: 103-104 RPM

Thanks!
Just getting back to you about my experience with changing to a smaller 22t cog as one of the other forum members contacted me about this.
I have only managed to get out twice since I had the smaller cog fitted but I was very impressed with the improvement. Besides extra speed at the top end I also felt there was better response to any pedal action at any speed. As we were all complaining about the top end speed - I previously experienced a top end speed of around 40kpm only when pedaling at around 102 rpm with the larger cog, which was rather exhausting as you run out of "pedal ability".
The test:
With the smaller cog on flat terrain (a concrete footpath) and no wind, on the lowest setting (of 60 rpm) and in the Turbo setting - I managed to achieved a top speed of 46kph at 77rpm. Other tests come back with 45kph at a range of 82-86rpm. So this was a much more comfortable pedal experience and depending on your fitness I suspect you could reach a slightly higher speed.
After trying this out in a few of the other rpm settings I achieved similar results but I felt the sweet spot for me (I'm around 6 foot tall) was between the 65 and 70 rpm setting (still in Turbo mode)

What sort of regular maintenance is required for your chain, and how frequently?

What sort of regular maintenance is required for your chain, and how frequently?
I just use a good lubricant every 100 km or so, I just apply while the bike is hanging from its storage rack, same time I check the cables for lubrication. Admittedly belts dont need that done, however have you ever adjusted a belts tension? I have done it many times in industrial applications with a sonic belt tension meter. I think a few drops of oil is easier and faster

I just wanted to follow up with official information from Enviolo (I contacted them via email). They confirmed my results above, stating

"Because the interface is controlled by the Brose motor software, the Brose is dominant over our app. The change in the app will be canceled by the motor. Change in cadence can only be done by the Brose display."

Thus, it seems we can only control cadence via the Mastermind app, not via the Enviolo app (since it is overridden by the Mastermind). Just sharing in hopes this helps someone!
The problem for me is, the cadence cannot be set below 65. Some of my trails limit speed to 12 kph (8-9 mph). At low speeds your pedals are spinning ridiculously fast. Does anyone know if you can shut the Mastermind app of and only use the Enviolo app?

The problem for me is, the cadence cannot be set below 65. Some of my trails limit speed to 12 kph (8-9 mph). At low speeds your pedals are spinning ridiculously fast. Does anyone know if you can shut the Mastermind app of and only use the Enviolo app?
Switch the assistance OFF... Such slow a ride does not require any assistance.

You don’t need to shut it off. Just go into the Mission Control app and adjust the assistance in eco down to the lowest available setting. Or use the micro tune option to do the same while riding. It’s just harder to get to micro tune on the enviolo vs the chain drive version.

You don’t need to shut it off. Just go into the Mission Control app and adjust the assistance in eco down to the lowest available setting. Or use the micro tune option to do the same while riding. It’s just harder to get to micro tune on the enviolo vs the chain drive version.
Thanks for the reply. I was never able to get to micro tune but will try again when I get home.

Even with assistance off you must pedal fast, not sure if it is at 65 RPM or not, but it is too fast.
The efficient pedalling starts above 70 rpm. It is not only good for the motor (it becomes efficient) but it is good for your health in the first place.

Back