Specialized Vado 3 - Karoo 2 ebike integration

modelaero

Region
United Kingdom
Hammerhead recently integrated ebike sensors into their Karoo 2 GPS but it's not working on my bike (2020 Vado 3). I can expand, but I'm interested to see who has used this function before I go into any real detail. In essence, however...
The K2 used to see the power/cadence and speed/cadence sensors and all was good, with rider power being reported accurately. After the ebike integration was offered and the ebike sensor selected, the original (legacy?) sensors were supplanted by the ebike sensor (although still listed in any pre-existing profiles) and none of the ebike specific functions were in any way operational. If the legacy sensors are selected in addition to the ebike sensor, then some of the ebike specific functions (sort-of) worked but only partially.
Additionally, if I used the BLEvo app while the ebike sensor was employed, the K2 power readings became astronomical and nonsensical (up into the multi-kilowatt region).
hammerhead are looking into this, but I'd be surprised if it's just me with this issue...

And is there anyone out there who can tell me the difference between Ant+ and Ant+ LEV, if there is any, other than a naming distinction for the likes of a heart rate monitor or pedal sensors as opposed to e-bike motor power, torque etc...

And is there anyone out there who can tell me the difference between Ant+ and Ant+ LEV, if there is any, other than a naming distinction for the likes of a heart rate monitor or pedal sensors as opposed to e-bike motor power, torque etc...
Technically, LEV ANT+ should allow many features such as controlling the e-bike lights, providing current motor parameters or adjusting assistance levels. Because of the prioprietary nature of e-bikes, the LEV ANT+ features are currently limited to;
  • E-Bike Battery Level
  • Travel Mode (like ECO)
  • Battery Range (if calculated by e-bike)
Bike GPS computers take far more e-bike parameters by regular ANT+. Compatible e-bikes transmit for instance:
  • Rear wheel rpm (for speed and distance)
  • Cadence
  • Rider's Power (also used for Calories Burnt)
  • Selected gear (electronic drivetrain)
  • Garmin Varia Radar also transmits the data via ANT+.

Technically, LEV ANT+ should allow many features such as controlling the e-bike lights, providing current motor parameters or adjusting assistance levels. Because of the prioprietary nature of e-bikes, the LEV ANT+ features are currently limited to;
  • E-Bike Battery Level
  • Travel Mode (like ECO)
  • Battery Range (if calculated by e-bike)
Bike GPS computers take far more e-bike parameters by regular ANT+. Compatible e-bikes transmit for instance:
  • Rear wheel rpm (for speed and distance)
  • Cadence
  • Rider's Power (also used for Calories Burnt)
  • Selected gear (electronic drivetrain)
  • Garmin Varia Radar also transmits the data via ANT+.
Thanks Stefan. I'm trying to understand why the latest HH K2 software incorrectly interprets motor data from Ant + LEV but is OK with rider power on Ant +. Hopefully they'll sort it

Thanks Stefan. I'm trying to understand why the latest HH K2 software incorrectly interprets motor data from Ant + LEV but is OK with rider power on Ant +. Hopefully they'll sort it
Wahoo or Garmin even don't try to extract this data from the e-bike!

No. Too right. I've been happy so far. The ebike integration will be the icing on the cake, but I'm puzzled over the lack of reports. Perhaps the bike has a fault...

Back