Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

-Pathfinder Pro 42 tubeless in clay. The bike seized up completely once enough got jammed in there, but the tires didn't slip much before that.
-Ortlieb quick rack with mud scraping stick
Not e-bike related, but I was on a group tour along the C&O Towpath trail a number of years ago. Most were on some sort of hybrid but one couple had Trek "Crossrip" bikes with full fenders. We were all envying the way they were staying clean on some muddy sections until they started coming to full stops with sticky clay packed up under the fenders!

@Stefan Mikes I know what you mean about sand. Our trails often get that way during a dry summer.

Hi Reed,

I'm not familiar with the Tero 5, but since is comes with 29x2.35 Ground Controls I probably wouldn't use tires less than 2" wide. That would lower the bottom bracket which is good for tarmac riding but risky off-road. Narrower tires will also quicken the steering which may be good or bad. Narrower tires will also provide less cushioning which may be felt in the back.

What type of riding do you do? That will determine the tire type (width, tread, casing).
I have a Tero 5.0 and I have replaced the 29x2.35 GCs with Sworks 42 mm pathfinders for road/smoother gravel with no issues with the smaller circumference wheels. In fact it actually more closely matches the factory set WHc (my Tero was programmed as a Vado with 650 B 2.3 in pathfinders I think). The Tero stock BB height is fairly high so switching to smaller tires for road shouldn't be an issue.

I have a Tero 5.0 and I have replaced the 29x2.35 GCs with Sworks 42 mm pathfinders for road/smoother gravel with no issues with the smaller circumference wheels. In fact it actually more closely matches the factory set WHc (my Tero was programmed as a Vado with 650 B 2.3 in pathfinders I think). The Tero stock BB height is fairly high so switching to smaller tires for road shouldn't be an issue.
I still say 47 mm is the optimal size for the 25 mm Tero 5 rims. Specialized is not missing tyres in size 47-622, as these are the "wide" gravel rubbers.

Rear rack - it's unfortunate SBC chose not to provide rack stay mounting bosses, but aftermarket solutions exist such as this mount which attaches to the seatpost. You can then skip having a rear fender serving as the rack stay and gain a wider choice of racks. Or go with a quick release option allowing you to easily switch from rack to no rack: Ortlieb Quick Rack
@gpburdell: Will Ortlieb Quick-Rack fit the Vado SL 12x148 rear hub spacing? Are the rack mounting holes 5 mm in Vado SL?

Your quick answer is vital.

@gpburdell: Will Ortlieb Quick-Rack fit the Vado SL 12x148 rear hub spacing? Are the rack mounting holes 5 mm in Vado SL?

I’ve seen a couple mentions of the Ortleib Quickrack working with the Vado SL but don’t have personal experience. Can’t say whether the Vado SL rack mount holes are 5mm since I don’t have a Vado SL.

As for width, every rear rack I’ve seen has a bit of flex and the extra width wouldnt be an issue.

example of the Ortleib rack on Vado SL:

I’ve seen a couple mentions of the Ortleib Quickrack working with the Vado SL but don’t have personal experience. Can’t say whether the Vado SL rack mount holes are 5mm since I don’t have a Vado SL.

As for width, every rear rack I’ve seen has a bit of flex and the extra width wouldnt be an issue.

example of the Ortleib rack on Vado SL:
Thank you!

1715671095482.png

Now, after having replaced the previous chainring with a 32T, 104 BCD (Deckas) giving the 32-51T gearing, Fearless is ready for steep hills! Provided my combined leg and motor power would be enough to climb the hills at a stable speed...

Now only waiting for the Ortlieb Quick-Rack!

Last edited:

Uh oh! It sounds like my post last week got Stefan interested in putting some clothing on his naked SL!?! I had said that I am trying VERY hard to NOT put a rear rack on my SL but that I was sorely tempted to do so....and here you are!

Uh oh! It sounds like my post last week got Stefan interested in putting some clothing on his naked SL!?! I had said that I am trying VERY hard to NOT put a rear rack on my SL but that I was sorely tempted to do so....and here you are!
Let me explain it Jason :)
I have to ride Sudovia Gravel E-Sprint on my Vado SL with a 32-51T gearing as I am unable to replace the Vado 6.0 chainring (a stupid story...) The race is to take the place among extremely steep hills with (fortunately) short climbs. To make sure I will return assisted, I have to carry my 2 or 3 Range Extenders. Plus three water bottles, tools, snacks etc. I'll ride without the backpack, so I must take a pannier with me...

I have to ride Sudovia Gravel E-Sprint on my Vado SL with a 32-51T gearing as I am unable to replace the Vado 6.0 chainring (a stupid story...) The race is to take the place among extremely steep hills with (fortunately) short climbs. To make sure I will return assisted, I have to carry my 2 or 3 Range Extenders. Plus three water bottles, tools, snacks etc. I'll ride without the backpack, so I must take a pannier with me...
I understand Stefan and was just teasing. I too occasionally have the desire to 'travel lightly' on the SL but with a need to carry a few bits with me. For example...I am heading out this morning to a trail for about 25 miles and it really would be nice to have a lightweight rack on the SL today. I'll make do without (as always) but darn it is a temptation.

BTW....that new chain ring of yours!.....TINY. You must be able to just 'easy pedal' up the steepest grades now!

BTW....that new chain ring of yours!.....TINY. You must be able to just 'easy pedal' up the steepest grades now!
Not necessarily! As @mschwett was kind to explain it to me, the low gearing only ensures you can maintain a very slow climb at the proper cadence. Now, negotiating a given ascent at given speed, you must provide a certain amount of power with your legs and the motor. The SL motor only provides 240 W of power. With my bad legs, I could make a short 16% climb but that would not be possible at the 26% grade (walking the e-bike in Walk Mode would be necessary).

I would not have these issues with the Vado 6.0 that provides 520 W peak power if I had the 32-46T gearing but it is not practical at the moment :( The current 44-46T gearing is a no-go for the Sudovian hills!

I understand Stefan and was just teasing. I too occasionally have the desire to 'travel lightly' on the SL but with a need to carry a few bits with me. For example...I am heading out this morning to a trail for about 25 miles and it really would be nice to have a lightweight rack on the SL today. I'll make do without (as always) but darn it is a temptation.
For normal rides, like not when I need to carry groceries etc for which I use panniers, I much prefer a handlebar bag then trunk bag. This KLICKFix one is great, very roomy I can carry coats spare gloves, sandwiches and so on. And the top pocket is ideal for phone and back up power bank.

IMG_5496.jpeg

Can’t wait to hear this ride report, Stefan! 16% ain’t no joke, and I would say that 26% is call the elevator time. Last time I did a 16+ on my Creo with 42/42 gearing I can’t say I enjoyed the experience all that much, but it does feel great when you get to the top!

Maybe you can go steal that mountain bike back from your brother while he’s not looking. Good luck on this adventure😎

Not necessarily! As @mschwett was kind to explain it to me, the low gearing only ensures you can maintain a very slow climb at the proper cadence. Now, negotiating a given ascent at given speed, you must provide a certain amount of power with your legs and the motor. The SL motor only provides 240 W of power. With my bad legs, I could make a short 16% climb but that would not be possible at the 26% grade (walking the e-bike in Walk Mode would be necessary).

I would not have these issues with the Vado 6.0 that provides 520 W peak power if I had the 32-46T gearing but it is not practical at the moment :( The current 44-46T gearing is a no-go for the Sudovian hills!
At 26% with that low gearing your biggest concern will be not stalling the bike due to low speed. Especially if this is technical with ruts, tree roots, rocks etc. You'll need patience, balance and core and arm strength to keep moving, the bike will want to veer left or right against the gradient which means trouble if that leads to obstacles and you lose your line. Keep your weight balanced so if on gravel or sand your back wheel doesn't spin out. Don't try and stand up unless you are sure of the grip. The Vado SL has long enough chainstays so your front end is unlikely to pop up, especially with the low power motor, but if it gets technical keep enough speed in reserve so you can free wheel to get you past tricky bits and a chance to recover balance before pedaling to get up a bit of speed for the next tricky section-

If on road or smooth even gravel you can ignore most of that.

But is it all steep hills? 32/11 will have you spinning out on any long flat or downhill straights.

Thank you for your encouragement and advice Dave and Ras!

The Sudovian Mountains (as some call the area on the borderline of Poland and Lithuania in the Suwalki Gap) is the land of the most premium gravel roads in whole Poland. There are almost no flats only violent ascents and descents there. Here is the elevation profile for the Sprint Race:

1715708581228.png

It is (intentionally) a 50-miler.

Do I believe in the 26% ascent? Not. Do I believe in the 16% climb? Yes. I even do not intend to pedal on the descents because I need to conserve the battery, so let the gravity do its job. I am even more afraid of the descents as these are steep, short, and often end with a sharp turn! All of this makes the race so exciting!

I cannot borrow the Trance E+ from Jacek now (he is travelling to Bieszczady Mountains -- the opposite side of Poland -- on the same weekend; his younger son will be my transport though).

1715709486278.png

1715709545135.png

(Photos by Szymon Gruchalski).

That sounds familiar terrain to me up down up down. If it’s twisty, pedaling on the descents isn’t going to be a worry but hope your brake pads have enough wear. But remember even with low gears and assist the constant hills will drain your energy far more then a flat gravel route. Pace yourself, use the descents to recover or if really in the red stop for breaks and eat & drink plenty throughout. Coach out.

That sounds familiar terrain to me up down up down. If it’s twisty, pedaling on the descents isn’t going to be a worry but hope your brake pads have enough wear. But remember even with low gears and assist the constant hills will drain your energy far more then a flat gravel route. Pace yourself, use the descents to recover or if really in the red stop for breaks and eat & drink plenty throughout. Coach out.
I feel I might not make it. Will try my best to loosen the chainring bolts on the Vado 6.0. Been riding the powerful e-bike in high mountains and know it is the power and gearing that together make the big climbs easy...

Thank you for your encouragement and advice Dave and Ras!

The Sudovian Mountains (as some call the area on the borderline of Poland and Lithuania in the Suwalki Gap) is the land of the most premium gravel roads in whole Poland. There are almost no flats only violent ascents and descents there. Here is the elevation profile for the Sprint Race:

View attachment 175835
It is (intentionally) a 50-miler.

Do I believe in the 26% ascent? Not. Do I believe in the 16% climb? Yes. I even do not intend to pedal on the descents because I need to conserve the battery, so let the gravity do its job. I am even more afraid of the descents as these are steep, short, and often end with a sharp turn! All of this makes the race so exciting!

I cannot borrow the Trance E+ from Jacek now (he is travelling to Bieszczady Mountains -- the opposite side of Poland -- on the same weekend; his younger son will be my transport though).

I think you’ll be fine - although it’s up and down and up and down with what look to be a few very steep spots, no long sustained climbs and less overall than the standard for “hard” which is 100’ per mile around here, or 20 meters per km in your part of the world :)

Back